What do you think of the A380?

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 82 total)

• M.Moose
    Participant

For someone (like me) who spends 50% of my time in the air, I’ve yet to fly the A380…sigh…but will be very soon…..taking SYD-SIN on QF this Oct! I’m a big fan of 777’s all this while and open to experience something different.

Been hearing much about the fantastic “big bird” and looking forward to experiencing it myself.

LPPSKrisflyer
    Participant

@VK Tsk, tsk, you’re playing the player again and not the ball. Now please do try to keep your toys in your cot when a view of BA that is different to your own is expressed and if you need to comment make is sensible and objective or do us all a favour and keep quiet.

antipodes
    Participant

I have flown on the 380 with two airlines: Singapore and Lufthansa both times In First class. I agree with most of the comments but want to point out that the Singapore cabin does not make adequate provision for the storage of carry on luggage; because as there is no overhead storage space the passenger is required to store the luggage in the seating area underneath the TV screen. As I am a large person and this requirement imposes a severe restriction on my leg room.Singapore’s inflight service is superb. Lufthansa’s luggage storage is provided by way of an individual wardrobes which are located outside the seating area and leg room is not restricted. The TV screen is not as large as SQ’s. However the big improvement are the Lufthansa washrooms in which there is space to walk around and a separate urinal is provided. The window blinds are centrally controlled as well as by an individual switch. The blind is located within the window.I like the A380.

craigwatson
    Participant

Lpps – While VK may have been a tad harsh in his comments, he was right. There is no way YVR, or SYD will get the A380. I can pretty much say with confidence that NYC will get an A380 as well.

RichHI1
    Participant

Makes it hard to switch equipment if you are swapped from 380 to 772 for operational or schduling reasons. What other routes do people think will go 380 for BA? ORD, NRT,SIN,MUM?

LPPSKrisflyer
    Participant

craigwatson: I thought YVR had two services every day but I see it doesn’t so I agree not likely for the A380 but I still think SYD might get it to try to compete with the QF offering which currently is far better than BA.

VintageKrug
    Participant

More demonstration of the fact you don’t have a clue.

BA and Qantas operate a Joint Services Agreement on the Kangaroo route, sharing revenues with BA.

So a ticket purchased on QF makes as much profit for BA as a ticket purchased on BA.

BA has reduced capacity in favour of QF’s more fuel efficient A380s on the route, and codeshares on all services, with QF being the only carrier to operate BKK-SYD.

LPPSKrisflyer
    Participant

As LHR-SYD is my regular commute, I’m well aware of the JSA on the route and how it operates as well as the recent changes in capacity.

BA are lagging behind on the route due to their outdated offering and old equipment, they may wish to match QF.

Do try to stop being personally offensive VK, it’s quite inappropriate.

craigwatson
    Participant

Im sorry again LPPS, but again you are walking right into VK.

BA makes the same amount of revenue whether their planes are empty or full, as it is all split with QF ( of course that is assuming that the pax you are losing are going with QF), SYD has always been a loss maker for BA, they only keep it going to “show the flag” and thats why it gets the outdated and old equipment.

It is basically a publicity route.

SYD will never see A380 from BA.

To put it in a different perspective, if you and a mate own a shop together, your not going to compete with each other driving both of your prices down are you?

VintageKrug
    Participant

It should also be noted that until the A380 was regularly offered on the service (a little over a year ago), BA offered a far superior fully flat bed in Business Class, and a premium economy product which QF’s 747s did not offer at that time.

So the point about an outdated offering is similarly uninformed.

LPPSKrisflyer
    Participant

Although the JSA has recently been strengthened, QF are not daft enough to do all the work while BA offer an inferior product and fly empty and even more outdated planes, in those circumstances the JSA would be torn up quickly.

I would suggest that QF C on the 744, IMO was always at least as good as BA C, the seats were not lie flat but in many other regards were superior. As I’ve said before, I’ve never been a fan of the CW seat. Of course I realise that some, including VK will differ and sing the praises of the BA offering but I preferred QF – and F was always far superiour on QF.

I’ve never travelled in premium economy so I couldn’t comment on the product offered by either carrier.

I make about twelve journeys a year on that route so I am pretty well informed of what is on offer with the major players and even some of the minor ones like BA as sometimes needs must and I have to drop my standards and fly in Premium Business with them.

craigwatson
    Participant

i think you just contradicted yourself LPPS. “Although the JSA has recently been strengthened, QF are not daft enough to do all the work while BA offer an inferior product and fly empty and even more outdated planes, in those circumstances the JSA would be torn up quickly.”

But like you say, BA ARE in fact flying outdated aircraft on this route, and yet the JSA was strengthened like you say.

RBrown9
    Participant

I have just completed a nine hour journey on the Emirates A380 from Seoul to Dubai in First Class. This is my 12th flight on the A380 and I have experienced both First and Business Class. This is a superb aircraft and I would certainly like to experience the offerings of other carriers (all my flights have been on Emirates).

Emirates First Class on the A380 offers a private cabin on the upper deck with 16 seats and I would rate it as exceptional. The feature that is unique to EK are the two onboard showers which are exclusive to First Class passengers. Initially, I thought that this was a novelty but am now sold on them. Very refreshing. These showers form a part of two large bathrooms. There is also a third toilet for First Class passengers.

With regards to Business Class, I think that the A380 product is good but not comparable with the best. The seats convert into fully flat beds but it is pot luck whether you get the 70 inch version or the 79 inch version. I have always made sure I book the 79 inch seat but would struggle with the shorter bed. The seats are configured in a 4 abreast “staggered” configuration but are quite narrow and I have not found it that easy to sleep comfortably (although extra pillows can help). With more than 60 passengers, Business Class does feel crowded.

A nice (and popular) feature is the bar area at the back of the J cabin which is available to F and J passengers. F passengers can (discreetly) request Dom to be served.

In summary, a superb aircraft and if you can book or upgrade to First Class on EK, a real treat.

LPPSKrisflyer
    Participant

craigwatson: I don’t think QF will tolerate the situation indefinitely. They demonstrated forethought and ordered the A380 when BA held back. For a while they will tolerate the situation as BA have nothing to compete. Once they do have QF may take a different view.

IMO QF management are far more forward thinking than BA and far more determined. Look at the advent of what I believe is to be called RedQ in south east Asia together with the success of Jetstar. In the meantime, what have BA achieved?

VintageKrug
    Participant

In fact, BAs reluctance to order the A380 was very much justified by the delays in delivery, and the state of the economy as the first of these birds arrived at QF wasn’t ideal.

As it happens, BAs A380s should start arriving just as the airline requires additional capacity (the interim solution 777-300ERs are already in service), without having had to shell out scarce cash during what was a very straitened time, and for BA a particular challenge (now, thankfully, past).

In addition, BA will receive the first of the Advanced A380-800s with increased MTOW and various other small modifications; further justification for the decision to hold back.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 82 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls