Sneaking into Business – do you mind?

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 107 total)

• adking29
    Participant

Did someone restart the politics nonsense??!

*troll*

I think sneaking into a class higher than what you are assigned, is just playing a game of risk.. and with any game of risk, there are consequences….

thug123
    Participant

it is funny. But if that man wants to look special and honoured that he is in business class then why not let him. It is also a question of stealing.

MarcusGB
    Participant

The Baggage policies of KLM and Air France should really be more strictly enforced by ground personnel these days. I am really fed up with economy passengers using business class when they are half way down the aircraft. There are many Business travellers now travelling economy, but feel they should be in business , they being the most arrogant. Often with 3 bags, not one.

I also do not appreciate and always speak up, when someone else grabs my bag without asking who’s it is, and Air France recently on a Business flight from Budapest were about to jam an oversized economy bag with quite some force onto mine! I reminded the crew they did not know what was in my bag breakable or of value, and to have the courtesy to ask before touching someone else’s possessions. Had they not missed an Economy Businessman shove his 2 bags in the 1A overhead locker, preventing the travellers who did get on for those 1A / c Seats from any room at all, they would have had room. I said it loudly and made sure everyone heard, and The Purser had no argument against what i said.
    I had a few smiles from some travellers sitting in the Business cabins, – approving ones!

I shouted up, not to touch my bag without asking, especially when not asking what was in it.

I watched a bag having the same treatment on an Air France flights in the summer, really forcefully pushed and jammed in by a crew member, and when the other guy’s smaller Business backpack size was retrieved at the end of the flight, it was pretty clear something had been broken.
    His phone and Ipad had been smashed, and when opened, glass fell down onto the cabin floor!

The same goes with KLM, when people pay extra for Economy Comfort seats, especially in Europe, these should also have a curtain, or simply a sticker above indicating “An extra fee is payable to sit in this Zone”. The Purser can collect it by credit card!

peter19
    Participant

How about this which i just read on the web…

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/travelnews/12055613/Stuck-in-the-middle-New-app-lets-you-swap-seats-with-other-air-passengers.html

An App which lets you bid to take over somebody’s seat..unbelievable!

Charles-P
    Participant

MarcusGB – I share your frustration at seeing bags damaged in this way and have had an overcoat damaged in similar circumstances although by far my biggest grips is with the people who seem to think it is ok to REMOVE my bag and place theirs in the space. I had this on an Emirates flight earlier in the year when a man unable to fit his bag in the economy cabin came up into business opened the locker above my head, took out my laptop bag and put his massive suitcase in while leaving my bag on the floor after he discovered it would not go in !

I of course was out of my seat like Flint, reversed the action and left his bag in the aisle – the cabin crew, I think ended up putting it in the hold.

JohnHarper
    Participant

CXDiamond – 16/12/2015 08:58 GMT

ROTFL.

Marcus, you make strong points. LH, LX and TK crews are very good at closing the lockers in Business Class before boarding, when I stow my bag I make sure I close the locker again. It seems to work better than the free for all that happens.

Very annoyingly on two recent sectors on BA I was seated in row 1 – A320 and the crew had bags stowed above it. Do these people never think before they act? On boarding they can choose anywhere and yet they position them above a row where it is bound to cause inconvenience to passengers. I’ve never seen that on any other carrier.

MarcusGB
    Participant

Charles & John, I am pleased to hear that there are people standing up and speaking out when these incidents occur. I must admit i shocked the AF crew, and The Purser had to explain to the whole Business Cabin. I made it quite plain, her crew should have done their jobs and ensured no one was doing as they did, and that they do not know what value, fragility = medications, glasses, technology / electrical, damageable items, even if it is a small case or Business back-Pack style. Also if i found something missing, I would be looking to the person who moved by bag, that could be crew.

I have a friend who is a Dr who had someone move her bag, and when she got off her purse and cards had gone. So, security and privacy issues are raised here also, it is not a matter of personal rights alone.

I find it more on European flights, where there are Business travellers who no longer get to fly Business. KLM used to run All 737’s 7/8/9’s to LHR, that now a few a day replaced by a few Embraers and even Fokker 70’s. Clearly, the 10 rows of business 5 years ago have gone, so they feel they still have the right.

I myself do not travel in Business in Europe that often, but connecting to KLM at AMS for long haul, i do. But when we do, we are paying for the space. So when trolleys come on, brief cases, laptop bags, it is a problem that should be strictly applied at the gate in allowed luggage.

Leisure travellers with huge carry on cases now some carriers like KLM or BA where they have to pay, bring as much as they can pack, as though it is a low cost carrier. In this regard. when leisure travellers don’t put in a hold case due to the charges, the Airline should be well aware and apply the regulations.

As for moving seats, crews sometimes remind us, we have to occupy the seats we allocated, as an “Airline Regulation”. Well, we can on that basis state a certain passenger has moved, and therefore they have broken the regulations the crew tell us must be complied with!

I would never dream of doing any of this, but then i have manners, courtesy, and fly by the rules, even as a platinum or Gold member.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

On some routes if I’m seated on the left I put my bag in the right locker and vice versa. I can then keep eye on it so nothing goes missing!

PeterCoultas
    Participant

LP:
    Good advice if you travel on Indian/Asian trains….make sure you can see the luggage at all times…..didn’t think it was necessary in business class though!

LuganoPirate
    Participant

I’m afraid today Peter, being seated in a premium cabin does not make you immune to petty larceny. A friend of mine in business putting his jacket on the hook of the seat in front of him fell asleep. It was only when he went to pay the taxi he discovered his neighbour had emptied the contents of his wallet!

Charles-P
    Participant

Although airlines do not like to acknowledge it the issue of theft from luggage during flights is a growing problem. I recently attended a conference on airline security where there was a ‘break out’ session that covered it.
    The commonest occurrence is during night flights where people are of course asleep and crew are absent but also at departure where an individual simply reaches up, take a bag (laptop bags are the favorite) and walks away while the owner spends time searching.
    The head of security for one European airline said they had seen organised gangs working low cost flights who targeted business travelers in particular. His advice mirrored that here of LuganoPirate in that he advised putting bags on the opposite side of the aisle where they can be seen and also to use a small lock on bags securing items inside.

TiredOldHack
    Participant

I’ll add my thanks to LP for that neat tip. Would never have thought of it myself. There are times, whether in the course of business or not, when I routinely carry £10,000+ worth of cameras and lenses with me.

PS: If anyone thinks that’s a lot, just look at:-

http://www.graysofwestminster.co.uk/

You can spend that sum on just one lens….

JohnHarper
    Participant

Good advice LP, I’d never thought of that.

I always keep my passport, phone and wallet in my pockets when traveling, my laptop is in my back along with my kindle. My laptop has a digital security key anyway so pretty useless to anyone without that and it stays in my pocket. Other than that a thief is likely to net clean (or dirty!) shirts, socks and underpants – good luck to them!

Schaible
    Participant

Just read a story of a Chinese professor flying economy on UA87 from PDG to EWR on 06 December. He repeatedly upgraded himself to business class and even stole champagne from there. He was repeatedly asked to move back to his seat in Y which he rejected as he was “a very important man”. Eventually – when boarding in Shanghai was completed – the captain told him to leave the plane and called the police which ended up in a fight on board. In the end of the day this jerk did not get to the US and additionally lost his job! Hope this wakes up a few of those new rich “do you know who I am’s”. Maybe a platinum card or paid upgrade would have worked, self-attempted upgrades never work.

AnthonyDunn
    Participant

Cathay Loyalist – 16/12/2015 15:15 GMT

Well it is very simply that the point you made was crass, irrelevant and inappropriate. Now you are perfectly welcome to display Tory loutishness, ignorance, bigotry and prejudice – it’s a free(ish) country after all. Just don’t be surprised when you get challenged over it. And to then go whining that someone has taken you to task is the very epitome of what being “wet” really is.

If you are going to post contentious remarks, you’d better expect to be challenged in future. That is what I have become used to: it goes with the turf. In the meantime, just grow up.

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 107 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls