Sneaking into Business – do you mind?

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 107 total)

• TiredOldHack
    Participant

A few years ago I was in CE on a BA flight to Istanbul. two characters from WT came in, sat down, and had their lunch and it was only after the meal that the cabin crew rumbled them.

I heard one of the crew wondering aloud why they were short of one of the meal choices.

Took their names and sent them back, but I can’t help wondering what BA could do about it. Demand they pay?

SCF
    Participant

I have a problem with your (and others) comment that you don’t have any problem with that! The act is a crime at worst and fraud at best – it is theft of something you didn’t pay for! Imagine a non-qualified pilot sneaks into the cockpit and pretend to be THE pilot? You wouldn’t want that, do you? Oh, I am sure if someone from economy sneaks into your (F or J) toilet and makes a mess, you WOULD MIND! Right? So, don’t be PC by saying you don;t mind, when you DO!

canucklad
    Participant

I’m quite a chilled person; well at least I think I am…..
    So I think I would be at the very least irritated if I knew that someone had sneaked in and tried their luck. I’d be more agitated at the cabin crew for not taking action. !

Having been upgraded quite a few times in my life the one thing I don’t do, is go about bragging that I’ve upgraded. Simply because it’s disrespectful to those who’ve paid the going rate.

I’d assert that people who try and blag are those who already have an over opinionated importance of themselves., seeing sitting in Y as below them .

FDOS_UK
    Participant

LuganoPirate – 10/12/2015 07:09 GMT

If the ‘big door contraption’ is the gate by the rear stair on the upper deck, it is a safety feature standard on all A380s I’ve been on, designed to stop people falling down the stairs.

CXDiamond
    Participant

No, the big door is indeed a door, a solid partition that is closed after take off that separates the F cabin from C behind. It hugely reduces any noise and gives the F cabin a very exclusive feel. I haven’t seen anything like it on any other plane.

I would most certainly turn anyone in to the crew who decided to upgrade themselves. It’s theft plain and simple and I would behave in the same way as if I saw someone shop lift or snatch a bag.

fatbear
    Participant

I too would report any freeloaders, and would be happy to see them kicked off the plane

Last week on a BA flight to Prague I saw a chancer get up as the flight was taxi-ing and move from economy to the last row of business. A member of the crew saw him and sent him packing. He was grinning as he returned, I would have kicked the smug bastard off the plane.

Tapata123
    Participant

I certainly would mind.

MrMichael
    Participant

I have never noticed the phenomena myself, from an econ or business seat.

I have however seen crew upgrading people, often friends or family. I have read on here people complaining about it To me that is stealing too, from the employer, no different to the Tesco checkout girl failing to scan a few items for their friends and family. I was on the periphery of Morrisons introducing their loyalty scheme, and it flags up customers that use predominately the same logged in checkout person.

midorosan
    Participant

That was my reaction too, two suddenly become three duh!
    As to being pissed off I would be royally pissed off, I am sick and tired of the cheats in this world who take advantage and then boast about it making those who did it the hard way feel somewhat diminished.
    Vigilance on the part of the crew is essential to prevent this kind of behaviour.

midorosan
    Participant

I can only hope you do not apply such tortured and nonsensical logic to you business affairs.

stevescoots
    Participant

Amazing how this topic has drifted from a simple question about someone chancing their luck to how those of us who don’t really care about it/have more important things to think about are suddenly apologists for vandals, thieves, hooligans and by our logic are therefore weaker business people. A little bit like being mildly concerned about immigration makes us Donald Trump subscribers

Actually thinking about it I do take similar view to this in my business. If I pay a price for a service or product supply, then find someone else got if from same supplier much cheaper (or stole it) I couldn’t care less. At the time I signed off on the invoice I would have been ok with the price. Good luck to my competitor if they screwed a better price, and if a competitor stole from my supplier then it’s the supplier hard luck for not preventing it happen. If that makes me a bad business man I couldn’t care less. I own 2 globally successful businesses in highly competitive markets at completely opposite fields and developing a third , I guess my flawed logic hasn’t served me too badly ?

LuganoPirate
    Participant

FDOS, it’s not a safety feature, it really is to keep the “lower” classes out. They also have one (the one I was thinking of – had forgotten about the rear one) at the front of the plane. The Purser told me when I asked. He admitted it after I pointed out there is no such gate on the 747.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Mr Michael, if they were friends and family on crew discount standby tickets, they are suitably dressed and there are free seats in business, the crew are allowed to upgrade them. At least that’s the case with KLM as it happened a few times with my son who’s best friend worked for them.

dutchyankee
    Participant

@ stevescoots – 11/12/2015 06:24 GMT

I agree with you that the original point was whether it would bother you or not someone sneaking into a cabin they haven’t paid for, and has in some cases digressed to insulting views which are not necessary. I too own my own business (just the one mind) and as such pay for my own flights, and if I am willing to shell out thousands to fly business, it would most definitely annoy me if someone takes a chance to upgrade themselves. For me, either the crew would notice and if not, I would certainly bring it to their attention. It’s simply unacceptable behaviour, and should not be tolerated.

TiredOldHack
    Participant

MrMichael – very interesting snippet about monitoring shoppers behaviour in Morrisons there!

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 107 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls