Smokers Alley (aka Heathrow Airport)

Back to Forum
Viewing 6 posts - 76 through 81 (of 81 total)

• canucklad
    Participant

Enjoy Nice Martyn ……

Not sure what the rule is , but whenever I’ve been in France the Gitanes are openly smoked regardless of indoor outdoor, in the pool….

Same in Spain, a total disregard for the law…if indeed he law exists…

So at least in the UK there is some adherence to the law…

And interestingly, Martyn as a “never ever smoked” person I’ve noticed that ex-smokers tend to be more passionate about anti-smoking and up holding legislation than people who have been clever all their life . lol

AllOverTheGaff
    Participant

@SimonS1 – 22/07/2013 05:41 GMT

You originally stated you would like to see the £5bn it costs the taxpayer, or something of the sort. Now you cite something else as ‘evidence’ to back up your claim. With regard to the research which indicates that smoking costs the taxpayer – there is just as much, if not more evidence widely available to contradict that and demonstrate that the revenues raised from tobacco significantly exceed the costs, but I can’t be bothered into a he-said-she-said pointless debate about whether smoking does or doesn’t cost money by renlentlessly posting in links to back up any claim.

Smoking, as far as I am aware, is not in fact an illegal past-time, even though a huge number of non-smokers seem to treat those that do smoke as some type of criminal / and or underclass. Cigarettes are widely available to anyone over the age of 18 and as such, these smokers have a right to indulge in their habit.

The pious “But I’ll get cancer because I inhale 1 part smoke to 20 billion parts oxygen as I enter an airport” is nothing short of preposterous. As a non smoker, I don’t particularly care for the smell of it, but neither do I lie awake at nights dreading the day when I have to visit the GP to get the fateful news that I should put my affairs in order because I travel a fair bit and that ALL that 2nd hand smoke I’ve been inhaling has done for me. I no longer have to inhale anyone’s smoke in a restaurant, shopping mall, bar, workplace or indeed, any confined space, should we have little islands in the middle of estuary’s and allow the lepers….sorry, smokers access to it to keep their cancer at arms length?

I really don’t know what the ardent anti-smokers think, truly don’t, smoking is perfectly legal everywhere in this country, and as such people who smoke are indeed allowed to do so OUTSIDE, but even when they indulge in their perfectly legal habit, in a perfectly legal manner, they still get loads of grief…..there’s so many more health risks to consider other than being exposed to 2 seconds of cigarette smoke on the way into an airport.

SimonS1
    Participant

As you can see from the previous posts I was the one who pointed out that smoking outside the terminal is not against the law as originally suggested.

Personally I don’t smoke but I don’t have a strong view either way. I have no problem with people smoking outside the terminal, however I do support higher taxes, and it doesn’t unduly worry me that the NHS seems to be progressively giving priority to non smokers for certain surgery types given lower risk of complications.

pdtraveller
    Participant

Martyn…with you all the way. I could not care less if people smoke or not, simply that I do not wish to exposed to it. The problem is how ever Heathrow and their utter contempt for passengers and social norms. T 5 is getting just as bad on both arrivals and departures

millionsofmiles
    Participant

pdtraveller & martin:

Can you imagine that I couldnt care less about your rants about the dangers of smoking and “social laws” that you mention?

And by the way, the normal fumes from exhaust etc. are part of your air intake, too…as is some tobacco smoke outside. Live with it or stay at home nd stop pestering people, please…Mr. Nosmoking Pope!

MartynSinclair
    Participant

Millionsofmiles – “I couldnt care less about your rants about the dangers of smoking and “social laws” that you mention” – you obviously do care otherwise you wouldn’t have entered the debate.

Once again, I have no problems with people who smoke – I have a problem with breathing in the fumes and my clothes smelling of smoke.

I believe there is legislation to cover the ban on non smokers having to suffer smokers fumes in the Health Act 2006…

Let smokers smoke, does not mean non smokers have to suffer…

I don’t think anyone has stated smoking is illegal, on the contrary, continue smoking, it’s a good revenue earner for the Chancellor..

Viewing 6 posts - 76 through 81 (of 81 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls