Smokers Alley (aka Heathrow Airport)

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 81 total)
  • Hello Anthony

Cigarettes here in Luxembourg are a fraction of the price in the UK. The ‘transfrontaliers’ from Belgium, Germany and France regularly stock up. And in all of the above countries, smokers are not treated as outcasts.

AnthonyDunn
    Participant

@alexpo1 – 06/06/2013 15:03 GMT

Hi Alexpo

I’ve never entirely understood (it’s for another time/place) how Luxembourg manages to tax as little as it does. However, even less do I understand just why sane, rational, intelligent people allow themselves to get hooked on rolled tobacco in a paper wrap. It’s a mystery to me despite having been along to Phillip Morris in Munich who gave the most astonishing presentation on how they pitched their product at the young to make it appear cool and deeply fashionable….

Henkel.Trocken
    Participant

IIRC the rules about smoking shelters prevent them from having more than a roof and one side or it may be two. Once it has more it is an enclosed space and smoking is illegal.

I totally agree with Martyn about the blue haze in the air particularly around T3 and it ought to be dealt with but then I guess that HAL is not the most concerned or interested employer.

Unless of course they could create some sort of shelter and charge staff to use it….

I strongly encourage a ban on incendiary devices aboard planes, whether a person carries it in his/her clothing or stores it in a carry-on bag. We should also ban smoking on airport premises, including parking facilities. No one has a good reason to have a match or lighter on a plane, and yet most people will be surprised to know their fellow passengers may legally board an aircraft with an incendiary device. For everyone’s safety, this ban must be implemented immediately: http://hospitalitylawyers.blogspot.com/2013/06/ban-smoking-and-lighters-in-planes-and.html.

IanFromHKG
    Participant

AnthonyDunn – 06/06/2013 14:49 GMT : In German restaurants and bars, there are ostensibly smoking areas but as these often don’t have effective/efficient air filtration, as a non-smoker, I end up inhaling their filth when I am eating or drinking.

You reminded me of a correspondent to HK’s main English language paper when our anti-smoking laws were introduced. “Having a no-smoking area in a restaurant is as effective as having a no-pissing area in a swimming pool”…

From my own experience and rather selfish perspecftive I don’t like airport smoking-rooms. I remember seeing them in Bangkok and numerous airports in China, full of blue haze. The stench on the clothes of people who had been in there was unbelievable, and very unwelcome if seated close by on the plane

capetonianm
    Participant

There are rules in most countries about smoking within a certain distance of a building, in order to inhibit the ‘smokers’ alley’ effect, but they are widely ignored.

The worst place I go to regularly is Schiphol where the entire outside Plaza seems to be taken up by nicotine addicts and the floor is carpeted with the detritus of their addiction. I always go out for a breath of fresh air between flights and have to walk a good few hundred metres to get away from the stench of tobacco.

stevescoots
    Participant

I also smoke, but always use the designated areas and to be honest I actually hate walking through a grey haze myself!.

However, I have to say I sat and thought about all the airports I go through and which do not have smoking areas airside, either outside or inside. So far only all UK and some US ones have no provision. Certainly in the UK the way the law is written stops any inside areas and so called “smokers huts” outside. technically any shelter used for smoking should have 3 open sides or enclosed side wall area that must not exceed X % amount of total area…etc etc…

stevescoots
    Participant

talking of AMS, there is no reason why anyone should smoke outside, they have more than enough smoking rooms inside

craigwatson
    Participant

Manchester also has a smoking terrace airside, very convienent!

DavidGordon10
    Participant

Martyn’s original post refers to the “disgusting smell or stench” – there are other nasty smells around airports. Two that particularly wind me up are:

Perfumes in duty free shops. I object to airports making us walk through shops that stink like a tart’s boudoir to get to the lounge or the gate. It is more likely to set off my asthma than the smokers’ alley problem.

Chewing gum. Some people apparently like the strong mint smell that most chewing gum has: I don’t. It makes me feel sick. I would welcome a chewing gum ban!

DavidGordon10

That reminds me…when I emerged from the very smoky smoking lounge at Dubai in the small hours of Monday morning, I was smelling like an ashtray. The guy cleaning the place was wisely wearing a mask. I went straight to the nearest duty free for a free spray. Hello Karen…I enjoyed our long chat about Manila and sorry I didn’t buy any. I promise to the next time.

SimonRowberry
    Participant

Currently sitting in the ultimate facility – the Smokers’ Bar in the Senator Lounge on A Pier at ZRH. Allegedly the longest attended bar in the world.

Great views, free cocktails and you can smoke at the bar. Also, it does what it says on the tin, and non-smokers are well catered for by the rest if the lounge, which is smoke free.

Nirvana!

Regards, Simon

millionsofmiles
    Participant

Sometimes I have the feeling that some kind of misogynist, who often have nobody listening to their orders, find solace and relief in trampling on others, usually anonymous groups.
    This aplies to the original poster. I feel sorry for you. Maybe someone will hug you today!

“Live and let live”

HongKongLady
    Participant

SimonRowberry, yes the bar is billed as the longest and on my first visit I was a little under whelmed as the ceiling seems very low giving a feeling of sitting in a box. However I agree the view is good.
    Smoking…… Unless we ban it completely people need somewhere to smoke. As a never tried it non smoker I find that it doesn’t really bother me too much as most people are considerate to others and to walk through an ‘alley way’ by definition means you come out the otherside so are only subjected to unwanted smoke for a short time.
    I actually find the smokers ban causes a litter problem which to me is far worse than the actual smoke, a lack of ash trays outside pubs,restaurants and public places could be addressed quite simply.
    Yes in an ideal world it would be better for health if no one smoked ! But freedom to choose is just that freedom to choose.

SimonRowberry
    Participant

HongKongLady – sage and sensible thoughts from you, as ever!

Yes, the ceiling is a little low, but as you suggest, that is compensated by the view. Sad that i have to get on a plane shortly!

It was either LP or Senator who first told me about this bar – thanks to whichever it was!

Good SWISS flight this morning. Fast track at LHR was very efficient, as was check-in. The breakfast in the Star Alliance lounge was both very welcome and good quality – just a pity the plates were seemingly designed for kids or midgets….

Cheers, Simon

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 81 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls