Smokers Alley (aka Heathrow Airport)

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 81 total)

• SimonRowberry
    Participant

LP

They did allow smoking at the bar itself, so they must have changed policy.

Cheers, Simon

judynagy
    Participant

When I arrive at LHR, I exit out of T-3 and walk over to the shelter with ashtrays for my cigarette. Maybe because I’m from California, I couldn’t enjoy my cigarette if someone was forced to walk next to me. Now having said this, I do think that “they” need to accept at some point that smokers are not going away just because people want them to go away, and banning smoking everywhere makes the smokers resentful and perhaps not so polite. There’s no reason that an airport can’t have a smoking room, lots of them do. If I connect in Denver, there’s a nice bar with good airport views and it’s always packed with people buying drinks and snacks. Perhaps if smokers weren’t treated with such disdain they would be less difficult and stop throwing cigarettes on the ground and standing beside public doors while puffing away. It’s worth a try, isn’t it?

kevin46
    Participant

@judynagy…So you’re saying that you and your fellow addicts should only display common courtesy if others are nice to you?

judynagy
    Participant

Well, Kevin, I guess this kind of thinking is part of the problem; I was suggesting a solution.

capetonianm
    Participant

” Perhaps if smokers weren’t treated with such disdain they would be less difficult and stop throwing cigarettes on the ground and standing beside public doors while puffing away.”

An unlikely scenario. Perhaps if the residue and detritus of nicotine addicts weren’t injurious to the health and wellbeing of those of us who prefer to breathe cleaner air, as well as being unsightly and filthy, you would not be treated with such disdain.

If non-smokers could walk down the street or into and out of building without having to endure the wall of smoke and the carpet of stompies, we might have more respect for you.

It’s a bit like the Middle East in that there will never be a solution that pleases all parties.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

Driving into the drop of zone in T5 this morning, I noticed 2 areas for smokers. One was the semi enclosed smokers hut clearly sign posted for smokers – naturally this was empty, but the second “smoking sign” was between entrance doors with no encloses area.

The number of uniformed staff (not only BA) clearly out numbered the number of passengers. I asked a policeman on traffic duty about the smoking and he said that staff didn’t want their clothes to smell, hence why they didn’t use the enclosed area – along with, what do you expect on such a nice day!

thankfully the police don’t take such a relaxed view over parking outside the terminal!!!

judynagy
    Participant

OMG, this is too funny! Outside having one cigarette in an enclosure will make your clothes smell bad? I mean, how many breaks do these people get every day?

I remember trotting out to have a cigarette at the Minneapolis airport and they offered a smokers’ hut with HEAT LAMPS. Quite civilized, those Minneapolitans.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

I’ve always wondered, if smoking is so bad for you, and kills so many, why is it not banned altogether?

Naturally I exclude cigars from the above statement!

capetonianm
    Participant

LP, I think you know the answer to that, particularly as you live in a country that is home to the world’s largest legalised drug dealers and which does nothing to discourage consumption of their noxious products.

canucklad
    Participant

The guys in Minneapolis must have visited Ireland……

As far as I know the rules are as strict as their Scottish cousins, in yet they seem to have adopted a far more pragmatic approach…..

Resulting in some very Irish solutions…..and during the winter months adapting tents, greenhouses, outside alleyways, disused route master buses etc to accommodate comfortably the smoking fraternity!

As a non-smoker I would have liked to have seen the legislation simply to have focussed on clean air in establishments……in other words if I’m standing next to someone with a cigarette, the air conditioning system is capable of sucking up the offending poisons efficiently and speedy before it came into contact with my nostrils or my clothes !

After all who can re-call the KLM DC-9’s who had smokers on the left side of the plane and non-smokers on the right!

PerthWA
    Participant

Stockholm has the clean air technology “smoke booths” which are incredible and I defy anyone but the pickiest to suggest that the interior of the airport has any whiff of fag ash.
    Dubai also in its first lounge has the same technology or so it seems in that smokers can sit not as pariahs inside the lounge and indeed, next to the food even without tainting the clean…
    Dubai “A” terminal forts has a cigar bar… Smoke away inside. And even if you are in economy inside the airport too.
    Hong Kong has smoking airside. Hideous but airside.
    Singapore, yes Singapore has airside smoking sections. Outside and inside.
    Smokers have an expensive addiction which every government benefits from. About time you got a bit less precious about the 2 seconds of fag ash you are inhaling en route particularly as I have just landed in Singapore to the worst psi smoke haze rating which is choking the city and frankly far worse than any few seconds of a cigarette.
    Anyone want to suggest Indonesia stop burning their jungles?

MartynSinclair
    Participant

I believe it will take an Act of Parliament to enable smoking booths inside English airports as the smoking ban in England was contained in the Health Act 2006.

Saying that, I have no issue with smokers or their vile habit – just as long as I do not have to share what to them is a pleasure and what to me is one of the causes of Cancer!

PerthWA
    Participant

Wish you were in Singapore tonight martynsinclair… You wouldn’t need to be a smoker to know not just humans but every ecological “thing” is currently being poisoned for free…
    As for smokers “pleasure” I do believe there is significant research that actually suggests nicotine is more addictive than heroin.

AnthonyDunn
    Participant

@ PerthWA – 20/06/2013 15:37 GMT

Thought I heard something on BBC Radio news earlier today along the lines of the Indonesians telling the Singaporeans to stop being a bunch of girls’ blouses and to stop whining. Whoever said that the days of robust diplomatic exchanges were long gone?

MartynSinclair
    Participant

A very strange sign outside the north terminal at Gatwick:

“It is against the law to smoke in and around this building”

yet, next to the sign is a unenclosed smokers hut with plenty of staff smoking right outside the building.

If this is the law, why is it not being enforced. If smoking is allowed outside the building, why the non smoking signs..?

Again, I have no problems with smokers smoking, but I do have a problem, when I am forced to inhale the cancer ridden smoke…… Let smokers smoke, but in total isolation of us non smokers……….

I did notice an abundance of police and traffic wardens at the drop off zone looking moving any car that stops for longer than 10 seconds after passengers have disembarked.

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 81 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls