Smokers Alley (aka Heathrow Airport)

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 81 total)

• SimonS1
    Participant

My reading of that is that “in and around the building” refers to the inside of the terminal. In the same way that “if you need help getting around the terminal” refers to the inside not navigating the perimeter.

It is against the law to smoke inside, therefore the sign is right.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

SimonS1 – the signs are clearly posted on every upright post outside the building.

Clearly it is talking about “In” as inside the building and “around” meaning around the perimeter and within the vicinity of the building :))

I did ask an airport rep who stated that he had never noticed the signs…… oh !!

PerthWA
    Participant

Much as I hate the idea that I’m actually defending this disgusting “habit” speaking as a smoker, very long ex smoker and stupid re-started smoker… Could I suggest that if all the righteous non smokers (who I’m pretty sure couldn’t care less if I lived or died) would like to give me back the equivalent of tax that I pay on a pack of cigarettes so that I could then afford the equally over taxed “give up smoking help aids” as I’m sure very other smoker would (hopefully) want to do too… As I’ve said previously in this thread, nicotine has been proved to be more addictive than heroin but no one seems to mind handing out “free” clean up your act kits for that illegal habit?

MartynSinclair
    Participant

@PerthWA – I would gladly meet you and show you how this absolutely “holier than thou” former smoker gave up the habit 13 years ago and is still in between cigarettes 🙂

I think what you say is a great idea and should be taken aboard. Instead of allowing people to break the law outside the airport terminals (in the UK), perhaps the NHS should offer to give out anti smoking freebies instead…

It would sure make the place smell much nicer…..

PerthWA
    Participant

Good idea MartynSinclair… I’ll also then be able to show you how to run the gauntlet of pariah puffers and survive! Look forward to it!

MartynSinclair
    Participant

Look forward too – whenever you are in the London area, be delighted to learn from you as well :))

millionsofmiles
    Participant

Just one rmark to the nonmsokers ho are so proud to live longer and healthier:
    Yes you die healthier. Yes you die later. Usually in a kind of mental stupor, since you become that old and usually dement that nonsmokers clog the social systems instead of dying “on time” like a good smoker.

So, martyn, dont be so proud on being a nonsmoker, you are subsidzed by the smokers with their tax payment, their lower consumption and duration of pension payments and their much lesser burden on care for the elder (and demented).

Andrew66
    Participant

Hi Martyn , the signs around the NT at LGW are no smoking in and around the terminal , but they do have designated smoking areas away from the doors , and if people light up just outside they are usually directed to the permitted smoking areas . They are unenclosed huts , because the law is that smoking shelters and huts are not allowed to be enclosed , I know the smoking area is well away from the main stream of passengers at the entry/ exit points , it is positioned near the end of the area where the buses/ coaches arrive and depart , there is a fair amount of open space for smoke to disperse , so wouldn’t expect non smokers to have to inhale any toxic fumes other than those from the constant flow of traffic .
    There are staff around there , they are probably on a break and like any company a certain % age will be smokers , and that is the only permitted place they are allowed to smoke , if they are caught smoking just outside like some passengers do they are breaking company rules and can have their ID pass removed and be suspended .

SimonS1
    Participant

MartynSinclair – 21/07/2013 11:13 “Instead of allowing people to break the law outside the airport terminals (in the UK)”

If they are outside the terminals then they are not breaking the law. The law only states that “smoking is not allowed in any enclosed workplace, public building or on public transport in the UK”.

The airport may be trying to impose its own restrictions but that is a civil not a criminal matter.

SimonS1
    Participant

millionsofmiles – 21/07/2013 12:00 GMT

I would be delighted to have back the £5bn it costs the NHS to treat smoking related illnesses each year. It might help to avoid cuts in other key areas like the Police, defence etc.

AllOverTheGaff
    Participant

SimonS1 – 21/07/2013 14:05 GMT
    I would be delighted to have back the £5bn it costs the NHS to treat smoking related illnesses each year. It might help to avoid cuts in other key areas like the Police, defence etc.

I wouldn’t be so delighted at the police, defence, NHS suffer enormously from the £12bn it would lose from tobacco excise & vat.

SimonS1
    Participant

If we are going down the path of ‘smoking generates more income than it costs us’ then research suggests that isn’t the case.

http://www.policyexchange.org.uk/images/publications/cough%20up%20-%20march%2010.pdf

millionsofmiles
    Participant

AOTG
    +1

These holier-than-thou types are called “Gutmenschen” in Germany (“good humans”)…lol

AnthonyDunn
    Participant

I am going to steer well clear of contentious issues like the duty raised on tobacco products and just ponder the sums raised from motorists and spent on roads and transport related items…

Eeks, was that a clap of thunder I just heard overhead?!

NB: SimonS1 By providing items from Policy Exchange, you are in serious danger of becoming far too coherent and considered a member of this forum. How many strikes is it before you’re banished? 🙂

MartynSinclair
    Participant

Gentleman and Ladies – the point of this thread is not to stop people shortening their lives by inhaling cancer sticks, neither was it for those people whose lives are likely to be shortened to comment on my likely far longer life – SMOKERS, please continue to smoke as many cancer sticks as you like…

This thread was more about non smokers, having to endure tobacco fumes when entering or leaving a public building. In this forum its about airports in the UK, but could equally be about hospitals.

I will never stop people smoking, unless I am asked to help. So, I would just be glad that non smoking policies in and around public buildings were enforced.

Simples really…………. smokers may inhale cancer, I choose to inhale fresh air….. call me hoilier than thou or just call me non suicidal!….:)

The sun in Nice is fabulous….. the taxi fare from the airport to hotel (all 7.5km) — OMG, well that’s for another thread….

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 81 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls