Smokers Alley (aka Heathrow Airport)

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 81 total)

• Anonymous

MartynSinclair
    Participant

Despite being an ardent anti smoker, I do believe in people’s freedom to speed their onset of their demise …. if they so wish.

However, I do not think it right that those of us who do not wish to inhale the disgusting smell or stench, should have to endure a corridor of the stuff when entering a building.

Outside Terminal 3 is bad enough but now the drop off zone in Terminal 5 is now another cigarette alley. The number of people displaying BAA passes and smoking is very high, (in numbers and smell).

Please BAA, find a place for people to smoke, enforce the rules if any exist and make the airport experience at least smell and feel fresh……

I guess Simon R, you will not be giving me your support on this…. 🙂

ImissConcorde
    Participant

If you look closes you will find that most of the offenders are Heathrow Airport ltd staff. In T5 B.A. Staff use the “cubicles” at both ends of the building.

FirstClassWannabe
    Participant

So now we can´t even smoke OUTSIDE! This is about the only place where we can smoke now so don´t take that away from us as well. I hope I am a considerate smoker as I do not wish to offend anyone with the smell of smoke, but always like a quick fag before going through security. Perhaps if LHR had smoking rooms such as ZRH, that would solve the problem, although I am sure some would still moan about that.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

FCW – I have no issue with smokers smoking – that’s their choice. I have a BIG issue in being FORCED to walk through a haze of cancer & life shortening smoke to gain entry into the terminal.

As you say, let BAA provide enclosed huts to smoke in………. as presumably required by health and safety!

Hello Martyn

As you know, I am a smoker and I fully empathise with you. I think it’s time all airports had airside smoking lounges/cabins. Over the weekend I was able to smoke before boarding at Frankfurt, Dubai and Addis Ababa.

Hopefully one of these days I will get up and just say NO.

Yes, this is a tricky one, but meanwhile we smokers are forced to smoke outside at most airports.

You have been there yourself and I admire your willpower when you quit, but have a little patience with those still addicted.

Best regards and have a safe flight.

Swindoneric
    Participant

At Edinburgh this week I noticed that despite there being a covered smokers’ shelter, there were still people virtually standing in the terminal doorway puffing away. No real excuse for that IMO.

SimonRowberry
    Participant

Martyn,

Perhaps, surprisingly, I do support you.

It’s far better to provide sheltered, purpose built facilities where we can indulge our noxious habit without annoying others.

I have noted an increase in smoking facilities within (or technically, on the edge of) UK airport terminals. Both Newcastle and Birmingham have outside terraces (run by F&B outlets) where you can have a fag airside. I’m not sure what this says about the number of smokers in the UK. Perhaps it’s increasing. UKIP will probably say it’s because of the number of East Europeans now living here…..

Off to Zagreb shortly. Was hard to get a reasonably priced and convenient J-class fare. Then I found out that Scotland are playing Croatia in Zagreb tomorrow night. Oh joy……

Cheers, Simon

julmops
    Participant

Being an ex-smoker, I’m always torn between the smokers and the non smokers … Naturally I would go on the non smokers side whenever appropriate but being an ex-smoker, I appreciate it’s getting tougher and tougher to have a cigarette nowadays.
    Especially in UK airports where absolutely nowhere inside is available … I’ve always found that bad (even as a non smoker) especially as most European airports would still offer smoking rooms. Namely Geneva or Zurich to name a few …
    I don’t think it would create too much hassle to re-introduce smoking areas in airports. That would prevent people to smoke their last cigarette outside as they would be able to get another smoke inside before flying. For the airport employees, a very defined area, outside of public view wouldn’t be too much to ask either.

Swindoneric
    Participant

Julmops makes some interesting points. I’m pretty sure that Schiphol went completely “smoke free” for a while and then reintroduced smoking rooms and indeed smoking areas in the KLM lounges. I wonder whether a smoking ban has an impact on passenger numbers.

Marco64
    Participant

I am not sure if it is still the case but Virgin’s Clubhouse at Heathrow had a rooftop terrace, was or is this a smoking area?

Shandy01
    Participant

What is more disturbing is when you are seated next to fag ash Lil & Larry when travelling in Y. The wretched odour, urgh.

Shandy

This is one topic I have strong opinions on, the other being BA CC.

I think you will find that not all smokers are confined to Y.

AnthonyDunn
    Participant

@ MartynSinclair – 06/06/2013 12:11 GMT

Hello Martyn,

With the trips you’ve been taking to Germany of late, haven’t you noticed how much pleasanter things are this on side of “the sleeve”? In German restaurants and bars, there are ostensibly smoking areas but as these often don’t have effective/efficient air filtration, as a non-smoker, I end up inhaling their filth when I am eating or drinking.

The entrance to LHR is nothing in comparison. I just feel rather sorry for the poor darlings hooked on their very expensive shot of nicotine in a paper wrap (sorry Alexpo!)…

Tom Otley
    Keymaster

The Delta SkyDeck is the new outdoor area at Delta’s new T4 SkyClub Lounge – there’s a picture of it here (3rd photo on the piece)

http://www.businesstraveller.com/tried-and-tested/lounges/lounge-check-delta-skyclub,-jfk-terminal-4

Unfortunately, despite smokers getting very excited about it, it’s a no-smoking area (enforced by the airport, I was told….

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 81 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls