Sad news from Malaysia Airlines overnight

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 274 total)

• SimonRowberry
    Participant

If the two had a ticket onwards to a second destination, presumably they could’ve exploited the 72 hour visa waiver at Beijing for transit pax going to a third country?

In China at the moment and airport security has been raised to Level 3, which I understand is the highest.

Simon

Moadweeb
    Participant

LP: News Papers here state that a 20 km long oil-slick has been found on the flight path by Vietnam Air-Force planes..

Just a wild thought but could it be the MH flight was dumping fuel in preparation for an emergency landing ? I don’t see the logic behind an oil slick 20 kms long without any debris if the plane had crashed.

I have flow the 777 on MH several times and they are good reliable aircraft..

I hope for some good news soon and pray for the passengers and their family who have more to suffer..

God Bless !!

Moadweeb

LuganoPirate
    Participant

You’re right Simon, they could have used that exemption. Now confirmed Southern China sold just 7 tickets for that codeshare flight and two of them were to the false passport holders!

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Moadweeb, if the plane was dumping fuel, the fuel would evaporate and leave no trace, so it’s not as a result of dumping fuel. I agree with you about the logic of finding oil but no debris. It’s possible the oil slick has come from a ship but I have no knowledge of how much oil an aircraft carries.

I still hope for some good news but the longer it goes without a sighting the less likely that becomes.

canucklad
    Participant

Does Al Qaeda have a gripe against Malaysia which is a Muslim country. Albeit westernized?

Sadly if reports are correct my wish in my first comment about not knowing their fate is tragically wrong . Very distressing thinking about their final minutes

Probably like a lot of us here am scheduled to be on a triple 7 two weeks today so an inkling of what happened would make me a wee bit happier !

paulkaz
    Participant

Canucklad pure speculation has it in evening media reports in Aust march 9 that a terror motive could be linked to chinese muslim separatists anger against beijing domestic policies. An attack at kunming was similarly blamed.The flight was a cz codeshare with majority chinese passengers.
    http://www.smh.com.au/world/china-train-station-attack-they-attacked-us-like-crazy-swordsmen-20140303-hvft2.html
    Deepest sympathies to all the families and friends of the missing passengers and crew.

Xuluman
    Participant

Not nice watching the footage of the plane on flight tracker instantly vanish. Transponder gone. No radio call from the pilots. No locator beacon.

As has been suggested, it points towards sudden catastrophic failure. Hope we can find the cause.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

@Canucklad – I really wish you hadn’t posted:

“Probably like a lot of us here am scheduled to be on a triple 7 two weeks today so an inkling of what happened would make me a wee bit happier !”

..in my case its a little over a week…. …

Its the not knowing, I cant start to imagine how passengers on today’s MH 370 felt when boarding….

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Seems more passport irregularities coming to light. I’m wondering how common this is in general?

HarryMonk
    Participant

i have just been watching the BBC news, Luigi, the Italian who had his passport stolen, is all smilles and enjoying his moment in the limelight.

TominScotland
    Participant

Martyn, Canuklad – I flew on a 777-300 last night SiIN – AMS. Not even worth thinking about – just go about life in your normal way!!

the747guy
    Participant

LuganoPirate, you mentioned that: “Some information coming through via the US embassy in Beijing saying the US military picked up a distress signal from MH370 saying the cabin was disintegrating and they needed to make an emergency landing”.

I hope all the search teams use their communications technology to track down where those signals came from and narrow down the search area in the ocean where the last communications from the 777 came from…..

My prayers are for all the pax on board MH370 and their families and friends.

CharlesRhona
    Participant

Flew LHR-KUL-PEN-KUL-LHR last month. On the domestic sector there was blatant disregard by a number of passengers regarding use of mobile phones while in flight. Phones ringing all over the plane and people talking on them particularly on the PEN-KUL sector. There were a number of itinerant workers returning home on the flight (a lot of big cardboard boxes, TV’s, electrical goods etc. at check-in!) and I suspect there was an element of ignorance as well as language barriers and not being able to understand the onboard announcements in Malayasian and English regarding mobile phone use.
    To the experts out there to what extent may this be considered a potential factor in explaining the disappearance of the aircraft?

SimonS1
    Participant

To be honest Charles I don’t think there has ever been a situation where mobile phones have led to a crash.

If they were that dangerous they wouldn’t be allowed on board.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

I’m not an expert Charles, but I’d say it had little effect on what may have happened. It’s thought at least 25% of all phones bought on a plane are left in normal mode.

The big boxes, TV’s etc will have no effect either. Just look at planes departing Dubai to India and Pakistan and you’ll see what I mean!

Edited to add: Mobile phones rarely pick up a cell tower much above 6,000′

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 274 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls