Sad news from Malaysia Airlines overnight

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 241 through 255 (of 274 total)

• MarcusUK
    Participant

The culture of news relations in Malaysia is quiet different to the west. Press releases are made and published, and The Malaysians have been quite confronted by the questioning of this. It is a cultural shift for them.

Misplaced anger at Malaysia Airlines at this stage is insensitive.

I am sure that as in any mass operation involving many Countries, and many Security services, and defence facilities worldwide, satellites from many sources. The public will not be told minute by minute what is happening, nor do they need to know.

We need to let them do their work, so many countries working together everyone wants solutions and answers. the Australians co-ordinating are also very competent. The world’s resources are doing what they can, and we shall hear when their is evidence that has been properly analysed, and as everyone hopes, produces answers that concern all the world’s Air Travellers.

It was no different with Air france and the management of that by them and Brazil.

AnthonyDunn
    Participant

Moving on from the shambles of the communications to the families of those on board, what strikes me is why on earth we should be in this situation and what has got to change after this.

With the current generation of satellite-linked communications systems, it is now possible for Rolls-Royce aero-engines to obtain live data streams on their engine telemetry – presumably the same is true of GE, Pratt & Whitney et al. Inmarsat provides comms up and down links for inflight phone systems. Navigation relies increasingly upon GPS in addition to primary and secondary radar – and presumably ATC is going to become increasingly reliant upon this too in future years.

So we have the existing technology to provide real time data on flight position, speed, bearing and altitude as well as what is happening to the many and varied on-board systems. Further, as the last place that you want to have vital data relating to an accident is actually at the scene of the accident, surely there ought to be (is?) the means to provide the cockpit voice recorder and flight data in real time via satellite uplink so that it is recorded, is instantly available and the position of an aircraft is known 100% of the time. It also needs to be the case that transponders, data uplinks etc. cannot be switched off from within the aircraft.

Someone helpfully provided a URL to a US “Capitol Hill” type politics television programme with a former senior member of the US’ National Transportation Safety Board. She was making the point that almost all of this could be put in place very soon, indeed could have been done already but for, in her view, spurious concerns about “privacy”. I wonder who would be promoting such a line of argument after the events surrounding MH370?

Cloud-9
    Participant

The most frightening thing about the Washington Journal TV programme was that planes are not obliged to have the transponder turned on unless landing at large airports in the USA. Many do not even have then fitted. Will this change now?
    It appears that the first debris spotted by ships, as opposed to satellites, has now been spotted in the new northern search area. Let’s hope this will enable to black box to be found and answer the questions the poor families and friends of all on board must have.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

Its as if people are too scared to ask…

The last post on this thread was nearly 2 months ago – the story is now out of the main news items…

It seems that none of the debris found had anything to do with 370.

Is there any new news….?

SimonS1
    Participant

No news Martin although the PM of Malaysia was in UAE last week meeting the great and good and the local papers took the opportunity to highlight it.

The search has entered the “deep sea” phase with the sea bed being combed.

An interview with the pilot’s family on the TV said he had no insurance so that couldn’t be a motive.

Apparently people are deserting the airline in droves and their losses last quarter increased almost 60% on last year.

The first book is out and two movie scripts are in circulation.

It all looks bleak really.

TominScotland
    Participant

SimonS1 – interesting points about passemgers deserting MAS. I guess (unsurprisingly) that their China routes will be particularly hard hit. According to Airline Route, Air AsiaX are increasing frequencies from KL to both Beijing and Shagnhai and I seem to remember also reading about Chinese airline capacity/ schedule increases to Malaysia. MAS were already among the lowest cost on UK – Asia/ Australia routes. Not looked at them recently but will be interesting to see what happens to prices.

canucklad
    Participant

Well gents, I’m sure I read a news article stating that the industry is actively considering banning carrying lithium batteries as freight!

There was no mention of MH370 in the article, but I couldn’t help speculating that the 2 events might be linked. One theory that has been doing the rounds is that a fire in the hold caused the switch off of all the communication channels. The crew were incapacitated and because the cockpit is now secure the plane just flew until it ran out of fuel?

I feel for Malaysian, not sure what else they could have done. Most airlines have had a catastrophic event and recovered, and in some examples the airlines bad maintenance or training procedures have been found to be culpable yet people still chose to book flights with them. I guess we, Joe Public just don’t like not knowing what’s going on.

stevescoots
    Participant

does not seem to have affected their pricing tho, still showing close to 4 grand LHR to CAN in June when most airlines are sub 2500 for business.

MarcusUK
    Participant

It is indeed sad for the families and also for the Airline, especially its crews, that no answers have been found at all to date.

If somehow the pilots were incapacitated, why then would the aircraft have made several turns, not within the flight plan or direction in any way at all?
    Why were the The locator devices deliberately switched off as it left Malaysia Air space?

Personally i have flown Malaysian for over 25 years and i would still do so. I have no personal reason to boycott them.
    I still consider them safe and reliable, and very good fares and travel standards in all cabins. I would book with them again for that region and not be put off by any of these very sad events.

I do understand that a very specific geographical boycott from China shows a reaction, but with the World having offered its assistance, we cannot at this stage blame the Airline either, or an individual.

Very sad for a great world Airline that has served Asia and us in Europe very well over its history.

Tom Otley
    Keymaster

Malaysia Airlines Flight 370: US Navy says ‘pings’ were red herring

Search for missing MH370 is back to square one as US Navy says pings were not from plane’s black box

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/northamerica/usa/10861767/Malaysia-Airlines-Flight-370-US-Navy-says-pings-were-red-herring.html

MartynSinclair
    Participant

The US Navy now confirm the pings were not from 370. Sad as these comments are, I still cant quite understand why the Americans appear to be coming to the press so late in the game OR why the basis for the Chinese releasing the information about the Ping in such positive light.

Even the Australians were caught up in the Ping euphoria, stating the search was looking “positive”….

I know we are talking about a very very deep ocean, deeper than Titanic lay… BUT, when man can cameras deep into space…. I still cant understand how a 777 (loaded with tracking devices) simply disappears.

Boeing still remaining very quiet…

I feel really sad for the families….

dutchyankee
    Participant

Hi Martyn,

I agree with you, this is absolute torture for the families, and it is heart breaking. I also can not fathom how in this day and age of such incredible technology and surveillance, that a 777 `simply` disappears.

Not wanting to sound like a conspiracy theorist, but it has all the hallmarks of a serious cover-up.

Boeing however I believe should remain quiet as there is nothing pointing to any failing of the aircraft. It is all very odd, and creates so much doubt about who is telling the truth.

Lando Marco
    Participant

SIngapore has very detailed satellite images throughout the region. THe satellites are so advanced they can read number plates on cars plying from Malaysia to Singapore! Certainly they would have information/images of the movement of the aircraft in their region as large as a 777? Yet they remain deafeningly silent.
    I also found it strange that the US got involved so early in the game.
    Last week former Malaysian Prime minister Mahathir blatantly hinted the CIA’s involvement in the matter. Interesting read.
    It is also interesting to note that the cargo manifest has not been made available till today! Whatever cargo the plane have been carrying must be real interesting!!

TerryMcManus24
    Participant

“Not wanting to sound like a conspiracy theorist, but ……………………”This needs closure especially for the poor relatives and ALL avenues need exploring even if that includes for the Cons S that Diego Garcia just might be involved ( agree sounds far fetched..but) Too many things dont add up and anyone (independent observer)been invited for a walkaround …not that they would probably find anything by now anyway…however… as said ..closure.

AnthonyDunn
    Participant

Terry

You are not seriously trying to suggest that the plane was flown to Diego Garcia, since which time the plane and pax have all been held incommunicado? To what end and for what purpose?

The place is formally run by UK armed forces albeit that there is a substantially larger US Air Force detachment there as well. There are certain things that the UK/US will do and certain things that they wont – and this falls comprehensively into the latter. Along with most other UK defence establishments, passing visitors are not necessarily welcome to just come along for a stroll around. As a former MODUK Naval Staff desk officer for the place, I believe that I might just have some authority in stating this.

Viewing 15 posts - 241 through 255 (of 274 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls