Obnoxious kids in Business Class

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 271 through 285 (of 385 total)

• Binman62
    Participant

Rich1……I have no tolerance at all for FF’s bringing gaggles of screaming children into the lounge and then letting them run riot. My policy would be no child area no kids under 12. Which is not to say that most parents do not try very hard to make their children behave. My biggest peeve with children in lounges though is not screaing kids but whiney adolescents who play with the PC’s downloading and infecting with impunity and monopolizing the PC area as their space preventing business users from accessing………………………….
    Get over yourself………..

In 25 years of travel I have rarely seen people get stuck into work on planes in any class. My experience of lounges is that kids are well behaved on the whole. As for the use of PC……so the kids are using them to stop being bored and pestering people. How is that different from other users checking their email or reading business traveller.
    The kids are there by right…my two have silver cards in the own names…. and have as much right to use equipment and anyone else.

RichHI1
    Participant

Binman, guess I pressed a button, sorry bout that.
    I see quite a few people working for an hour or so on planes but post was about lounges where I see a lot of people working.
    To clarify:
    my overall experience of kids in air travel is very positive,
    I think the provision of child play areas is a welcome trend to keep children amused and to allow them to enjoy themselves without disturbing others.
    I think it is wrong to try to impose travel restraints on people if they have children either not to fly or only use certain cabins but I do believe club lounges should be places of calm and quiet and when that calm is disrupted by passengers of any age they should be asked to leave.
    I question whether a club lounge is the right environment for small children if there are no play provisions for them but perhaps you are right that it should be a parental decision based on the tiredness, excitement, stress levels at the time…
    As regards PC use, I think that letting children use PC’s is fine, what I object to are passengers (normally adolescents as they are the only ones smart enough to do it) doing things on PC’s that are prohibited such as downloading infected software and trying to bypass the security both of which result in PC’s which do not work, or ignoring other passengers’ needs and staying on machines for very long periods when there are people waiting to use them. I would suggest around 30 minutes max should be a reasonable timwhen it is busy.
    All users of the club have rights not just one group and from what you say you do your best to ensure your children are respectful of the needs of others and this is normally the case.
    Some lounges such as AA at ORD have a quiet room where cell phones and loud conversations are banned,p erhaps provision of such quiet areas is a way to balance the needs of all.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Recently in the lounge at ZRH three kids, about 13 or 14 years old, were making a lot of noise while playing with the computers. They were told to keep the noise down by an attendant. They refused, and just made more noise. A more senior person then arrived and ordered them to leave.

Only at this point did the parents reveal themselves and started protesting about the kids being made to leave, even though they made no attempt to keep their children quiet.

They were then asked for their boarding passes which they handed over and were told to leave or they would be denied boarding. It was enough and they left rather red faced.

Again an example of parents not acting responsibly and letting their kids disturb everyone.

I know kids like to laugh and shout, and mine are no different, but they are warned that it is a privelege to sit in the lounge and if they abuse it they will wait outside. I’ve never had a problem and when they start to get a bit boisterous the big finger is raised and they go quiet again.

While they did use the computers, they now use their iPads which they got after Mrs. LP and I upgraded to v2.

Communipaw
    Participant

Never mind the kids…How about obnoxious adults in Business Class?

FlyingChinaman
    Participant

LuganoPirate has just rasied a point nobody has suggested before:-

Airlines should make passengers travellering with infants and young children to sign an achnowledgement to undertake responsibility to take care of their kids and to avoid causing inconvenience to the other passengers in-flight. Already a standard thing when requesting a seat at an Emergency Exit row. Making it a Contition of Carriage before you are accepted for travel! It may not stop new-born babies from crying but at least it serves as a reminder for the parents of their duty.

It all boils down to one’s responsibility.

BTW, I was in Zurich Swiss lounge yesterday and there were 4-5 quite noisy teenages travelling with their parents and the lounge staffmember came to tell them to not move the tables and chairs around making loud banging noises and fortunately they obeyed when told!

Peace and calm travel to all!

MartynSinclair
    Participant

FlyingChinaman – excellent suggestion. Make sure the printers include a clause for grown ups to sign an undertaking to behave irrespective of their children being present or not:

* no farting

* no swearing

*politeness to crew and fellow pax at all times

* use deodorant

* kill cell phones on boarding

*plus any other suggestions

PatJordan
    Participant

In addition to Martyn’s suggestions:

* no talking during safety announcement

* in economy, no reclining of seatbacks until meal service is finished.

* no pushing or queue jumping at boarding

Now if only we could persuade passengers to abide by these simple behaviour goals….

Safe travels to all,

Pat

FlyingChinaman
    Participant

Most people are well behalf BUT it is a good thing for the airlines to remind them of their responbilities, as unfortunately there are quite a few “under-informed” travellers around nowaways!

FlyingChinaman
    Participant

We should have more passengers (young and old) like you to set example of good behaviour!!

TheBandit
    Participant

what i really ment is that i am an actual 10 year old and ive traveled in first before i know that i have to behave cause not many kids go to first class anyway no one has complained about me (im not trying to brag)

MartynSinclair
    Participant

We get a lot of cabin crew on this forum saying how difficult there job is but on my recent jet blue flight, HPN-MCO, #597. August 9th, row 9, there was a family of 4, 2 adults and 2 kids that totaly ignored the cabin crews instructions, to the extent that the father took the child to the bathroom when the aircraft was on base leg and only existed the bathroom AFTER the wheels had been lowered. When the child returned to his seat, he remained standing, not strapped in and encouraged by the adult to hold on tight to the seat in front, whilst standing. This was in full view of the cabin crew who really couldnt have cared less.

I am also amazed at the number of passengers who board with earphones on and simply dont take them off, even for the safety briefing. Again the cabin crew just showed no interest.

Jet Blue keeps the live TV on during the safety briefing, well they did on both my sectors. So the additional problem now seems some cabin crew that show very little interest in their job.

Jet Blue is a very comfortable airline that offers free beverages and snacks on all flights. Pity they are let down by lazy cabin crew.

The flight up on August 5th #594 row 15, there was a baby who screamed all the way for 2 hours +, simply because she was strapped into a car seat and wanted to get out and sit on her mothers knee. She showed no interest, even when the baby held her arms out. Result, a very noisy flight for the other passengers in the vicinity.

Nice to hear from the Bandit and to have a junior traveller contributing. Welcome.

TheBandit
    Participant

i know jet blue can sometimes can be horrible but not as horrible as screaming baby ive experienced kicking in the back of my seat from a 5 year old i felt like turning around and saying SHUT UP!

MartynSinclair
    Participant

so why didnt you??

TheBandit
    Participant

i really dont know.

TheBandit
    Participant

personally i love flying but when younger kids are there the flight is ruined 🙁

Viewing 15 posts - 271 through 285 (of 385 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls