Obnoxious kids in Business Class

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 196 through 210 (of 385 total)

• SimonRowberry
    Participant

Tired Old Hack – hard to disagree with anything you said.

LP – glad it’s not just me! By the way, I think someone did claim on this Forum fairly recently that certain airlines operated an upgrade policy based on race (or perhaps I’m imagining that thread).

IMFWEEYEARS – whoever invented you is a vewy cLeVer PerSon and HaS ObwiOusLy MisSeD TheRe caLLinG in LIfe (it obviously wasn’t me!)

Regards to all,

Simon

PatJordan
    Participant

TiredOldHack

well said. I have vivid memories of a delayed CDG-DUB flight last year with a tired 2 year old who cried for a good deal of the flight. Even grandad’s usual charm didn’t work. I felt sorry for adjacent pax who were also disturbed by his plight, but appreciated the sympathetic looks from them.

The point is that there is no right or wrong answer to this problem.

On this particular occasion, everybody could see that the poor mite was in genuine distress and that we were doing our best to pacify him.

This is vastly different from the example of another poster where the parents slept blissfully whilst their children were in distress.

The most extreme example of an obnoxious child I have ever seen was on an Aer Lingus Business class LHR-DUB Flight (remember those good times!!!) was the daughter of a well known TV personality who treated the cabin as her own personal playground. Her minders did little to correct her, leaving it to the cabin crew to try their best. No she wasn’t 2 years old…..more like 20. I kid you not.

Simon and Lugano, your children are obviously well brought up and an example to others. If only the young lady I encountered had the benefit of such upbringing….

traveller104
    Participant

Tired Old Hack:
    You seem to have a balanced view of having had children and can understand some of these travelers’ lack of appreciation for noise on long hauls.

Ryanair is not particularly pleasant, even for a short ride.

Sometimes too much comfort and too much money is the problem. I was told that in Aeroflot business class some years ago, a slightly drunk lady was told that if she didn’t behave herself, she would be injected by haldol. Her flying companions hopped to, and quieted her down. Even in business class, since the state earned the money, the staff couldn’t care how much money she had.

I too cannot understand why airlines advertise that business class allows the passenger to have comfort, and sleep on a flat bed, so they could arrive fresh to conduct business, but don’t provide a quiet environment, regardless of who is making the noise. I may be odd but I have never met anyone who sleeps better with noise around.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

Instead of updating First products, on the basis that one product doesnt suit all, an interesting product inovation would be to provide business class sections.

**Snoooze zone (limited service) dimmed lights throughout

**Mr Busy businessman zone – internet, mobile phones permitted

**Childrens zone – emphasis on games and amusements to keep children occupied

I am not for one minute suggesting posters to write the rule book – this is merely a framework. I recall Virgin using the upstairs on some of their -400 as snooze zones and it did work.

This way, there is a choice for those who want to work, play or sleep.

Simple really……………..

TiredOldHack
    Participant

Actually, if there’s one thing I’d absolutely hate, it would be the use of mobile phones anywhere on an aircraft and especially in a cabin that’s supposed to provide some luxury and p&q (as my late Mum used to say).

Airliners seem to be the last mobile-free zone on the planet, and it would be a shame to lose that.

Cue the Dom Jolly scenario: “WHAT?? NO, I’M ON A PLANE!! NO, IT’S QUITE QUIET, REALLY… FOOD’S CRAP, OF COURSE….”

Or; “You WHAT? No, she didn’t! Oh my GOD! That is so AWESOME…” (I’m sure everyone can write the familiar script over the next 15 minutes)

SMS messages and email, sure.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

This is exactly my point TiredOldHack. You pay your money, you choose youu section and everyone is happy.

Personally, on an overnigfht flight, I prefer to sleep rather than sit next to someone intent on waking me up when the sun comes up, by keeping the window blind open.

For those that want to keep in contact, they will be able to without disturbing those that dont.

Provide passengers with the ability to choose………………..

TiredOldHack
    Participant

Well, yeah, but I can’t see airlines subdividing their cabins in such a way, attractive though the idea sounds 🙂

Actually, it has merit if you consider other possibilities. A soundproofed section for snorers, a curtained-off area for the ones who insist on keeping their reading lights on all night, a place with specially scent-impregnated upholstery for the terminally oderiferous…..

LindsayW
    Participant

A similar discussion has commenced on another FF website that I frequent. So I posted a link to this topic 😀

The best reply from another poster:

“Thing for me is if the child is less than 3 and creating a fuss I don’t think for a second that is a sign of bad parenting. Even GREAT parents have pretty much all experienced situations which can be embarrassing.

Above 3 though, I think the game changes somewhat.. At that age there IS a level of comprehension about what’s right and wrong. No child is perfect…NOR should that be an expectation of fellow pax.

What SHOULD be an expectation though is that if a child plays up (regardless of the cabin) that the parent/guardian takes EVERY reasonable step to try and sort things out promptly for the comfort of all other pax/crew.

IMHO… If another pax OR crew member, has to address the matter it has been going on for too long.”

Wholeheartedly agree.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Thinking about the phones, and I’m also against them on aircraft as such, but why not do as they did with smoking in the good old days. Front of plane or section, “quiet zone” and rear “phone zone” (hope they don’t do left side / right side as some airlines did) with the middle as a buffer.

Of course we can predict the posts? “Never again Air Luton”. I booked a no phone zone seat, and in spite of my diamond crusted gold plated frequent flyer card I was placed one row in front of the phone zone. My whole journey was ruined, I could not sleep or work and as a result lost a contract worth 5 billion and my job to go with it!!!

There’s no pleasing some folk….

MartynSinclair
    Participant

Hi Lugano

See 6 above, 4.17 on the 7th Feb. We all have different needs. It would be nice if airlines were able to cater for all.

Martyn

TiredOldHack
    Participant

@Lugano:

Well, you were in a no-phone seat, so you got what you wanted. I dunno, picky picky 😉

Perhaps there ought to be a sort of ‘buffer zone’ row of seats.For people who don’t want to use phones but like to talk to themseves….

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Martyn, Tired, my post was a bit tongue in cheek, and it would be nice if all needs could be catered for.

However, remember when we had smoking seats. How many would book a non smoking seat and then go back for a fag so as not to sit in all the fumes for the duration of the flight?

MartynSinclair
    Participant

I was just pointing you to where I agree with you 100% +++.

There are people who want to use phones, internet, play with children in the aisles, even amazingly, those that want to switch off and rest. We all have different requirements.

I dont think you should say these things “tongue in cheek” – I think that this is something the airlines ought to consider in marketing and seating plans.

Charles-P
    Participant

OK I wouls like a phone seat surrounded by non phone seats so I am not disturbed when not on a call. Close to a window with full aisle access seated away from anybody who smells and with any children under 18 years old in a sound proof box – asking too much ?

MartynSinclair
    Participant

Charles-P – I know just the place that would suit. Downstairs in the bagage hold, it is very peaceful, alas no window.

Have fun…………

Viewing 15 posts - 196 through 210 (of 385 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls