NHS ‘Vaccine Passport’

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 109 total)

• IanFromHKG
    Participant

[quote quote=1100175]The NHS app only records vaccines administered in England! News reports today say that the integration of the Scottish, Welsh & Irish databases is proving to be a challenge. Then there is the issue of how to deal with people who got vaccinated overseas. I don’t think that the NHS app is going to be the vaccine passport solution that the UK, or the world, needs. I believe that the solution must come from the World Health Organisation who administer the yellow fever vaccination certification programme (and other now extinct vaccination programmes such as that for smallpox).[/quote]

Ah yes… There seem to be so many different approaches being taken around the world.

We need a single, unified model (preferably sponsored by the WHO for global acceptance) to allow international recognition of vaccination certificates. The Memsahib and I have paper certificates from the HK government, and electronic versions on an HK government app, showing we are fully vaccinated, and they have a QR code – but I have absolutely no idea whether they will be recognised (or in the case of the QR code readable) outside Hong Kong.

In an earlier post, MarcusGB shared his experience of checking into a private hospital. Forum members may be amused to learn that when I went to a local (private) hospital to get my jab (the hospital had clearly contracted with the government to provide vaccinations) I had to fill in a health declaration form before entering. Among the (many) questions was one asking whether I was “under medical supervision”, which I am due to a chronic condition (which, I hasten to add lest anyone get too concerned, is controllable and currently controlled and only requires me to take one tablet a day, albeit I need regular check-ups), but nonetheless I still – being a lawyer – didn’t want to lie on the form. So I ticked the box saying I am “under medical supervision” and was told that as a result – even though they had no idea why I was there (I could have been going for follow-up treatment for all they knew) – I was not allowed to enter the hospital!! As you can imagine, I (politely) pointed out (although not quite in these terms) that if they didn’t let sick people into the building then their business plan probably needed a rethink. This had to be escalated to someone more senior before I was permitted to enter. Bizarre!

2 users thanked author for this post.

anyonebutba
    Participant

[postquote quote=1100822]

as I explained earlier the online(app) version includes a QR code which is valid for 1 month each time you activate it…..it doesn’t mean the vaccines are valid for one month as you assume ! the letter version does not have an expiry date just the APP QR Code

anyonebutba
    Participant

[quote quote=1100958]“Negative test results issued by the National Health Service (NHS) in the United Kingdom are not accepted for travel to the Netherlands.”[/quote]

Marcus as you are probably aware the passage you inserted …. “Negative test results issued by the National Health Service (NHS) in the United Kingdom are not accepted for travel to the Netherlands.” refers only to |NHS COVID 19 tests and not to the certificates issued as proof, this is common practice, as currently no country accepts an NHS covid 19 test as proof to enter any country, likewise no airline accepts NHS covid 19 tests, so I think your post is very misleading in its content

anyonebutba
    Participant

not sure why when you “reply” to someone it tags someone else ! how strange apologies to those that have been incorrectly tagged 🙂

ASK1945
    Participant

Slightly “off-topic” but relevant to some of the posts in this topic, earlier on at least one member posted how they had to show proof of ID (passport or driving licence with picture) to be able to obtain the NHS App vaccine certification.

My wife and i were able to get this by downloading the NHS App through our GP’s EMIS website and no further ID was requested. As such, it was really easy to do.

Going on from that, anyonebutba wrote above “the online(app) version includes a QR code which is valid for 1 month each time you activate it…..it doesn’t mean the vaccines are valid for one month as you assume ! the letter version does not have an expiry date just the APP QR Code“. Related to my own earlier post, I have just checked my online certificate and they have altered the expiry date to read now “2D barcode expiration date: 20 June 2021”. They had received quite a lot of ribbing about the previous wording.

IanFromHKG
    Participant

I just wanted to give a little shout-out (as our American cousins put it) to anyonebutba for the helpful inside information. I don’t live in the UK and therefore don’t have access to the app, but have found his/her input really interesting and informative.

If s/he is willing to work with the editorial team, I am sure that an article in BT providing some of this information would be very well received (Tom – HINT HINT)

2 users thanked author for this post.

anyonebutba
    Participant

[postquote quote=1101067]

Thanks Ian much appreciated……sadly Corporate travel that I have worked in for 25 years is still a no go area, given that AMEX made 18000 people in the UK redundant after the takeover of HRG, so COVID was a great excuse for AMEX to make a quick buck and get rid of the staff there….very sad days, hence now why I am part of the NHS vaccination program………it is nice to make a contribution…even if many people like to call and tell me I am injecting chips in the public….you do have to have a sense of humor …thanks again I am happy to answer anyone’s questions as always

SimonS1
    Participant

[postquote quote=1101055]

Indeed very misleading. I have twice travelled to Dubai using results of PCR tests done by the NHS. No issues at all.

Tom Otley
    Keymaster

[postquote quote=1101056]

Hello,
    I’m not sure that it does, does it (unless there’s a gremlin in the software, which is possible)? We have the Quote and the Reply button quite close to one another, perhaps that’s it, if on an iPad?
    And yes, thank you for your contribution and I’m sorry to hear about the situation with Amex GBT and HRG. It’s been fairly appalling in magazines as well, especially those in travel, so I am very sympathetic.
    Tom

miningguy
    Participant

Currently at MIA airport where I’ve just flown in. In the arrivals hall, there was a team of volunteers offering J&J single shot jabs to anyone regardless of nationality. My colleague (who is from a country with a very poor rollout) got jabbed.

As a UK citizen I’ve decided to hold off to get the NHS supplied jabs so that I can get the “official” proof which I am sure will be required for future travel. If anyone has any opinion on this…let me know…I’ve got 4 hours to kill 🙂 NB: I’ve already had COVID and not considered vulnerable so from a health standpoint, I feel no urgency.

1 user thanked author for this post.

DavidSmith2
    Participant

The BT article today on the new EU vaccine passport is very interesting. For me, particularly, it says that the system will provide for tests done outside the EU to be uploaded, if they are trustworthy, through your national system. So my wife, who is Slovenian, should hopefully be able to get her vaccine done in Ghana uploaded to her Slovenian/Eu passport in the coming weeks.

All we need now is for the UK to allow a similar system and then for the UK and EU to agree mutual recognition of the two systems and I’ll be sorted!

CHRIS
    Participant

Hello Everyone,
    I have been an avid follower of this forum for a few years, but this is my first post.

I was hoping for some advice. My NHS app showing vaccine / travel details are all up to date showing both jabs. The problem is my name, on the app it is misisng my middle name and therefore will not match my passport or flight ticket. I called 119 and they say this is a GP problem, the GP says my middle name is showing on their system, both parties just keep blaming each other.

Has anyone had the same problem? Thanks

Tom Otley
    Keymaster

Hello CHRIS,
    Welcome to the forum. I have added your post to an existing thread.
    Hope you find the Forum useful.
    Many thanks
    Tom

Chris in Makati
    Participant

My NHS app only shows my first and last names too.

I doubt this will be a problem as long as those two names are shown on your passport.

My flight tickets often show my first and last names only and it’s never been a problem, even though my middle name is also shown on my passport.

DavidSmith2
    Participant

[postquote quote=1101511]

Update on this – the NHS App advice now is that “Your GP will have guidance about what can be used to verify that you have received a vaccine dose [received abroad]. They can then ensure this is represented on your vaccination history.”

I have now sent a scan of my Ghanaian vaccine card to my GP and await their advice on whether any further verification checks are needed.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 109 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls