NHS ‘Vaccine Passport’

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 109 total)

• rferguson
    Participant

A couple weeks ago the government informed the media that the NHS app would double as our ‘vaccine passports’ and this would be up and running for 17 May.

I have the app and was checking it regularly (it really is quite good). My two COVID vaccine doses were listed in ‘short term medicines’ without batch numbers and under some odd names. For example my second dose was listed as ‘courageous 0.3ml dose concentrate for injection’.

Anyway, I just popped onto the app to have a little look and there is a new section on the home page ‘check your COVID-19 vaccine record’ and when I click on it it now lists dates, vaccine types and batch numbers. My guess is, this is the ‘passport’.

7 users thanked author for this post.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

Thanks rferguson – looks sufficiently detailed and all within the NHS app for gravitas.

Whilst I am sure any UK company will accept the credibility of the NHS app, I am still curious if / whether / how, overseas jurisdictions will accept the NHS app, UK vaccine passport. I wonder if there is going to be an internationally recognised “kitemark” or else it may take some explaining each time about the ‘nationality’ of NHS…

I just hope the vaccine passports (which I support 100%) will be an internationally recognised document or app…. and available in paper format for those who do not use apps…

3 users thanked author for this post.

rferguson
    Participant

I think a ‘unified’ approach will be a mine field Martynsinclair. Our friends across the pond in the USA have said they have no plans to introduce any kind of vaccine passport. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-56680309 I imagine this position will change when the US government is under pressure from their own people to find some method of verifying their vaccinations.

My personal feeling is it will be up to some worldwide organisation such as IATA to have a database of what information individual countries require in terms of vaccination information and link these up with the passports of various governments. Hopefully into some kind of universally recognised app of their own which will simply be an ‘ok to travel’ or not.

But, time will tell I guess.

2 users thanked author for this post.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

[quote quote=1100005]I think a ‘unified’ approach will be a mine field[/quote]

A unified (& united world wide) approach to covid 19 has not been possible thus far so there is sadly no reason to think it will happen with vaccine passports. I just hope when rocking up to a border control where no English is spoken I am not carted way until someone understands the NHS is the pride if the UK.. and my vaccine passport is not a fake.

My ultimate hope with the medical advancements being made is the need for vaccine passports and all other covid measures will be short term only….

as you quite rightly say “time will tell”…

Have a great weekend and safe travels, if you are… 🙂

fatbear
    Participant

I rarely use Apps on my phone but I can see my medical records on my laptop via the EMIS Patient Access. I am even able to generate a pdf including my name, date of birth and NHS number. However, this includes all of my injections and the wording isn’t particularly explicit that have had two Covid jabs

Tom Otley
    Keymaster

Hello fatbear,

I noticed this morning that there has been an update to my NHS app and now I can see the Covid vaccination that I have had (only one, the second is this coming week), so the work is going on to make this happen.

When I log on to my GP practice website, although I can see my childhood vaccinations going back five decades, I can’t see the Covid one.

The U.S system is fragmented, and therefore will not easily be able to prove vaccination status for incoming U.S visitors later this year (well, not digitally, anyway).

Thank you, Tom

anyonebutba
    Participant

Good Morning, as I am working inside the campaign, I can confirm this is “not” the passport but all being well you should be able to from this section , download certificate of vaccination , or indeed call 119 from Monday to order a paper copy. the vaccination certificate is ONLY available to those who have had both doses, and the certificate will be available approximately 7 days after the 2nd dose. it will be available only by calling 119, or on the NHS app (not the covid 19 app) happy travels!

4 users thanked author for this post.

anyonebutba
    Participant

the certificate (or passport if you like) is not available on patient access this is purely access to your GP. the certificates will be available only by calling 199 after Monday 17th May, or by downloading the NHS app, (not the covid 19 app)

1 user thanked author for this post.

fatbear
    Participant

I have now downloaded the NHS app and can see the same as everyone. I can’t say that I am too pleased that I need to have an account with Google in order to do this, and my wife, who refuses to have anything to do with Google, will presumably have to make the phone call and wait a week……….

GivingupBA
    Participant

[postquote quote=1100034]

Thank you – but did you mean “by calling 119”? Thank you again.

1 user thanked author for this post.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

[quote quote=1100033]Good Morning, as I am working inside the campaign, I can confirm this is “not” the passport but all being well you should be able to from this section , download certificate of vaccination , or indeed call 119 from Monday to order a paper copy. the vaccination certificate is ONLY available to those who have had both doses, and the certificate will be available approximately 7 days after the 2nd dose. it will be available only by calling 119, or on the NHS app (not the covid 19 app) happy travels![/quote]

@anyonebutba – thank you for your advanced notification of the new covid passport on the NHS app. It has just appeared on my NHS app with the ability to print of a .pdf copy.

FormerBA
    Participant

I hope no one is holding their breath on the 119 service. Tried over last 4 days numerous times but alas just get cut off.

GreenScot
    Participant

I checked this morning and could see the certificate on the app, although I had a problem downloading and had to airplay it to my Mac. I now have a saved PDF copy of it but noted the expiration date was showing as 30th June 2021, and the certificate contained the QR code for verification authenticity and that didn’t work.

I checked again this evening, and it was gone from the app, which I was not surprised at with the QR code issue. It can’t be easy to get things to the app stores quickly, but I am sure it will get sorted soon enough.

EasternPedlar
    Participant

The NHS app only records vaccines administered in England! News reports today say that the integration of the Scottish, Welsh & Irish databases is proving to be a challenge. Then there is the issue of how to deal with people who got vaccinated overseas. I don’t think that the NHS app is going to be the vaccine passport solution that the UK, or the world, needs. I believe that the solution must come from the World Health Organisation who administer the yellow fever vaccination certification programme (and other now extinct vaccination programmes such as that for smallpox).

Unfortunately we seem to be quite a while away from the universal acceptance of vaccination as a passport to travel. Only a handful of tourist hungry destinations have decided to accept vaccinated travellers. The rest of the world, including the UK, doesn’t care about vaccinations at the moment, and requires recent PCR tests. I’ve also been reading about the growing instances of people travelling with fake test certificates. Electronic validation of covid tests is probably a more urgent requirement than a vaccine passport.

Tom Otley
    Keymaster

There are problems, I’m sure, but the new update allows you to generate a QR code proving vaccination (and download it) so I’m pleased they are making progress on this.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 109 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls