NHS ‘Vaccine Passport’

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 109 total)

• Tom Otley
    Keymaster

It’s a good question, and I don’t know, despite looking for the answer.

I suppose the booster might generate a new QR code (either a third one, in the NHS pass, or updating both of the QR codes to one) that certifies your status.

It will also have to work with the EU Digital Covid Certificate (EU DCC) scheme, which at the moment doesn’t recognise the NHS QR codes, meaning you have to take a test every 24 hours and show that QR code to get into bars and restaurants in countries such as the Netherlands, which is immensely frustrating and expensive.

1 user thanked author for this post.

RomP
    Participant

On a similar note, does anyone here know where to obtain a recovery certificate once recovered from Covid? I caught Covid last week in Romania and currently about to finish my isolation period shortly. I will be travelling again on the 8th Nov to Chicago and I will not be Able to take a PCR test for 90 days from my postitive test date which is ok as all I need to show is the positive test result and a recovery certificate. Does the NHS app automatically produce once after the isolation period has ended? How does this work, much appreciated in advance!

RP

Tom Otley
    Keymaster

I think if the NHS app knows you tested positive then it should automatically generate it, though I haven’t found anywhere that is explicitly stated

You probably saw this bit

“For travel abroad
    You can obtain your NHS COVID Pass after receiving either:
    * 2 doses of the Moderna, AstraZeneca or Pfizer vaccine
    * one dose of the Janssen vaccine
    * proof of natural immunity shown by a positive PCR test result for COVID-19, lasting for 180 days after the date of the positive test and following completion of the self-isolation period”

https://www.nhsx.nhs.uk/covid-19-response/how-to-use-the-nhs-app-to-demonstrate-your-nhs-covid-pass-in-england/

Which does rather beg the question from whom you receive this proof, though it also say

“If you’re fully vaccinated or had a positive test result, the barcode on a PDF is valid for 30 days.”

Which implies it is automatic.

RomP
    Participant

Thanks Tom for your reply. I have seen the USA entry requirements which were official as of yesterday. A kind poster on HFP directed me to this checklist which they believe will not change:

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/travelers/pdf/Airline_Testing_Order_Checklist-p.pdf

from the Option B section the following is shown:

SIGNED LETTER: Must also have a signed letter stating the passenger is cleared for travel.
    • From a licensed healthcare provider or a public health official
    • Must be signed and on official letterhead that shows the name, address, and phone number of the
    healthcare provider or public health official
    • Does not need to specify travel—a letter that clears the person to end isolation (e.g., to return to
    work or school) can be used

Still searching for a definitive answer and will update here if I find it or if the NHS app ‘automatically’ generates this letter.

ASK1945
    Participant

[quote quote=1114519] It’s a good question, and I don’t know, despite looking for the answer.

I suppose the booster might generate a new QR code (either a third one, in the NHS pass, or updating both of the QR codes to one) that certifies your status.

It will also have to work with the EU Digital Covid Certificate (EU DCC) scheme, which at the moment doesn’t recognise the NHS QR codes, meaning you have to take a test every 24 hours and show that QR code to get into bars and restaurants in countries such as the Netherlands, which is immensely frustrating and expensive.[/quote]

I thought I would leave it a few days before responding.

For my wife and I nothing has changed since i posted last week. Still no record of our booster jabs (Pfizer) on our NHS GP medical records nor anywhere else (eg the NHS App). Talking to many friends and acquaintances who also have had their third jabs, some have been fortunate to have had these recorded on their health records, most have not. So, for us all who have received their second jabs more than six months ago, travel to some countries is still restricted.

I note the requirement for the USA for a “SIGNED LETTER: Must also have a signed letter stating the passenger is cleared for travel.
    • From a licensed healthcare provider or a public health official
    “.

Good luck with that from our NHS GP practice – a blank refusal (even for a fee) because they are “too busy”.

DerekVH
    Participant

The NHS app is not designed to produce the “SIGNED LETTER” which is required and I doubt very much that any investment is going to be made to change this. I now suspect a flurry of Private GP’s offering this service for a fee which will undoubtedly include a consultation fee in addition to a fee for providing the letter, probably equivalent to paying for a PCR test(!)

2 users thanked author for this post.

RomP
    Participant

The NHS App will generate the recovery certificate along with your Vaccine status. A friend just tried it and it showed up and I have attached that sheet/certificate.

I suspect I will need to pay to get a signed letter as suggested by Derek and required for entry into the US!….

ASK1945
    Participant

[quote quote=1114840]The NHS app is not designed to produce the “SIGNED LETTER” which is required and I doubt very much that any investment is going to be made to change this.[/quote]

Sorry – but this isn’t what we are looking for. What is needed is another QR code for the NHS pass. Why shouldn’t they add this to the existing two?

Thank you RmP for your input. I was aware of this, which of course is not the same thing as a vaccination pass. However, it just adds strength to my point.

IanFromHKG
    Participant

[quote quote=1114519]It will also have to work with the EU Digital Covid Certificate (EU DCC) scheme, which at the moment doesn’t recognise the NHS QR codes, meaning you have to take a test every 24 hours and show that QR code to get into bars and restaurants in countries such as the Netherlands, which is immensely frustrating and expensive.[/quote]

Interestingly in our recent travel around Europe, our experience was:
    Spain (Mallorca) – apart from proving we had vaccinations in order to enter Schengen (which was done in Germany since we were on Lufthansa and transited through Frankfurt) we were never asked for vaccination/recovery status. The printed certificates of our vaccination (which was done in HK) was subject to some scrutiny by the German border authorities but were fine
    Germany (transit) – see above
    Italy – we started showing our paper vaccination certificates but that became a nuisance so quickly switched to using our digital records stored in Apple Wallet. These have a barcode but it can’t be read by the EU systems. We had to show these every time we entered a museum, gallery or an “inside” restaurant. Each time we just explained it was issued by HK, they wouldn’t be able to read the barcode, but they could see the vaccination dates etc. We didn’t have a single problem anywhere (Tuscany, Florence and Rome)
    Finland (transit) – we had to show every possible bit of paperwork but that is just so that Finnair could ensure we met all the HK requirements. (An American passenger next to us fell (I suspect) at the last fence because although he had a PCR test (issued in the US) he did not have proof that the laboratory met the relevant ISO standard and/or was recognised by the relevant US government authority. His rather arrogant attitude to the Finnair staff didn’t endear him one bit and when we boarded the ‘plane he was still arguing with the staff.)

I don’t know whether the difference in each country was down to different rules (Italy being more strict about proof of vaccination, perhaps?), different cultures (we found the Spaniards much more laid back about everything – and a lot more helpful – thank most of the Italians) for something else. However, we didn’t ultimately have a problem going anywhere we wanted with the Hong Kong-issued certificates we had despite them not being compatible with the EU green pass.

Tom Otley
    Keymaster

Thank you, Ian. That is very useful information.
    In Amsterdam I found the same thing. I would show the NHS app and they would understand immediately – probably because so many British visitors before me had already explained the situation.
    I should also say that the various forms I filled in to visit Holland were never looked at, and at both ends of the journey there were no border checks (though of course there had been before boarding.

TominScotland
    Participant

We have just returned from a visit to Dublin, using ferries (Cairnryan – Larne) and driving down. Although we did complete the Irish Passenger Locator Form, this was never asked or looked for. Every cafe and restaurant checked our electronic NHS Scotland vaccination documentation but there were no problems with this.

As an aside, the really stark contrast between Ireland the the UK was in the abundantly-filled supermarket shelves in the former (for example, Dunnes Stores in Cornelscourt), a quantumly different experience to the 1970s, Soviet-era ‘GUM-on-a good-day’ look of most of our stores in the UK – we called into the Sainsbury Superstore in Sprucefield Park on our way north just to verify the contrast.

DNAdams
    Participant

@TominScotland,

When you say “UK” I presume you mean just Northern Ireland or perhaps just Cornelscourt.

I haven’t seem any or experienced such problems here in London or anywhere else I have been on the mainland. In fact my local supermarket is always reducing the meat and other fresh produce as they can’t seem to sell it. Not heard of anyone else I know having supply problems either.

TominScotland
    Participant

DNAdams, lucky Londoner!! Sampled 5 large supermarkets in and around Dublin. Supermarket shelves up here in Scotland are hugely depleted much of the time so not just NI.

Tom Otley
    Keymaster

A couple of pieces of good news on this

The Times reports this morning that the NHS app will update with the booster jabs – initially in the Travel Section of the app

Holidays saved as booster jabs added to NHS app Covid pass

and of course now the NHS app is recognised by the European Digital Certificate

Booster jabs added to NHS Covid Pass for international travel

COVID Pass deal simplifies European travel

I will certainly have the chance to test this out in coming days as I am taking trains from London to Cologne via Brussels, then down to Vienna, and then back up to Brussels. All of those countries are currently either weighing up imposing further restrictions or have done so.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

[quote quote=1118169]I will certainly have the chance to test this out in coming days as I am taking trains from London to Cologne via Brussels, then down to Vienna, and then back up to Brussels. All of those countries are currently either weighing up imposing further restrictions or have done so.[/quote]

https://news.sky.com/story/covid-19-austria-to-enter-full-national-lockdown-amid-record-case-surge-as-fourth-wave-sweeps-europe-12472233

stay safe on your travels Tom…

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 109 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls