New Forum for Business Traveller

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 338 total)

• Tom Otley
    Keymaster

There’s an outside chance it may be next Monday.

I won’t put a date on that, though, just in case.

Carajillo2Sugar
    Participant

re this new forum, have you, perchance, employed some moonlighters from BA’s IT Dept to get it up and running? 😉

SimonS1
    Participant

To be fair if BA was involved the whole website would have crashed by now.

Tom Otley
    Keymaster

I could write a book about getting this new website up and running – but no one would read it.

Still, this morning after a power cut at Panacea Towers we have no server, no internet access and can only connect through our phones.

Meanwhile dark clouds outside the window promise further downpours and commuter chaos, strikes cause travel disruption, our government and opposition ponder being leaderless, Europe turns its back on us, Trump rises, terrorism threatens along with recession and we’ll have another summer of carnage in the Middle East and widespread population movements across the continent…..

So talking about BA’s IT problems, and our’s, provides welcome distraction…!

MartynSinclair
    Participant

We could always have a vote…

FOREXIT…

Old Forum – IN or Old Forum OUT… or would a vote

New Forum – IN or New Forum OUT… make the choice any clearer…

Tom Otley
    Keymaster

OMG – please no.

The new forum will be better.

Not initially, but after, say, a two-year period of negotiation.

And admittedly many of the promises I made in the lead up to the new forum will not, actually come to pass.

But forum users are a realistic lot, and weren’t actually fooled by any of the wild claims I made to encourage a vote for a new forum (not that we had one, but democracy isn’t always the best approach to complex issues).

Instead we will lose a lot of the core functionality we took for granted, and in its place have widespread uncertainty about how things will actually work, and there may well be a flood of new members, not necessarily from the UK, or even at all, and maybe even some of the old members will return in the confusion, – who can tell – but we’ll see how things pan out…. for the best, I’m sure. They always do, don’t they….

Tom Otley
    Keymaster

Morning,

Well, all signs seem to point to today being the day the new website will launch (If not, I’ll delete this post!)

The site will be down for a couple of hours today while we switch over to the new site. During that time the site will be out of action. When it comes back the new website will be working.

When that happens you will need to generate a new password for the forum which will work across the site for your subscriptions, to post comments etc…

Those of your who have found others posting under your handle, including advertisements for visas and passports, will know it is long overdue. Everyone else will think it’s a hassle, so sorry about that.

I’ll post instructions on the new forum.

PatJordan
    Participant

Many thanks Tom for the (mostly unseen) hard work that went into the new site.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

I wait with nervous anticipation!

Good luck Tom and the team, can’t wait to see it.

TiredOldHack
    Participant

I’m echoing all the above. I know how much work is involved – our new website launches later this year.

I’m sure yours will be great!

MartynSinclair
    Participant

Looking forward and just hoping we do not have to vote IN or OUT of New Forum…..

Many thanks Tom and BT Team…

Tom Otley
    Keymaster

Well, partial success. Sorry no one can log in. We are working on it!

Tom Otley
    Keymaster

Again, apologies for this – we are trying to get it sorted out but in the meantime rather than having the website out of action we thought we would make it live.

Please note that if you have never contributed to the forum, you can log in, generate a new password, and start posting.

But if you have contributed to the forum (and if you’re reading this, you probably have) then at the moment you can’t log in.

This is because each user when they first try and log in will generate a new password, but for those who have contributed to the forum in the past, we need to be able to link your account and your new password with your historic contributions (otherwise they would all become anonymous or be lost). Obviously we don’t want this, so we’re trying to work out a fix and it’s not easy.

So please don’t drive yourself mad generating a new password, having it emailed to you, finding it’s in your junk, and then using it to log in. It will only work if you have not contributed to the forum.

Tom Otley
    Keymaster

DAY 2

We are making some progress and I hope we will have a solution by the end of the day. More apologies…
    Tom

frustratedflyer
    Participant

It seems to be working now!

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 338 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls