More cost cutting by BA

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 75 total)

• K1ngston
    Participant

[quote quote=930237]

As an avid reader of all types of publications, have a fullish Kindle and Audiobook subscriptions, and digital subscriptions to The Times and Telegraph etc, I still like to have a hard copy occasionally,(especially the Times due to its clunky website)

For me it’s not the amount of newspapers that are carted around but the bulk of magazines in lounges and waiting areas. How many pax collect a bulky magazine re properties of the world etc to take with them, not many I suspect, yet they all have to be shipped around. Sheer madness.

True, but that is down to cost cutting too. The magazines titles are not great – who wants to ready things like Chinese Woordworking Monthly or Walking in Wigan. At least you can usually pick up a free BT though…..[/quote]

And what is wrong with “Walking in Wigan” magazine one of my favourites Simon…… Dont knock it till you’ve read it 🙂

alainboy56
    Participant

@K1ngston — Absolutely love it! That’s what we need on here. More humour – after all, life out there in this big bad world we live in, is horrible at times.
    We need more humour. I insist on it.

1 user thanked author for this post.

SimonS1
    Participant

[quote quote=935010]

As an avid reader of all types of publications, have a fullish Kindle and Audiobook subscriptions, and digital subscriptions to The Times and Telegraph etc, I still like to have a hard copy occasionally,(especially the Times due to its clunky website)

For me it’s not the amount of newspapers that are carted around but the bulk of magazines in lounges and waiting areas. How many pax collect a bulky magazine re properties of the world etc to take with them, not many I suspect, yet they all have to be shipped around. Sheer madness.

True, but that is down to cost cutting too. The magazines titles are not great – who wants to ready things like Chinese Woordworking Monthly or Walking in Wigan. At least you can usually pick up a free BT though…..

And what is wrong with “Walking in Wigan” magazine one of my favourites Simon…… Dont knock it till you’ve read it 🙂[/quote]

Maybe it will get a cult following….

K1ngston
    Participant

[quote quote=935079]

True, but that is down to cost cutting too. The magazines titles are not great – who wants to ready things like Chinese Woordworking Monthly or Walking in Wigan. At least you can usually pick up a free BT though…..

And what is wrong with “Walking in Wigan” magazine one of my favourites Simon…… Dont knock it till you’ve read it 🙂

Maybe it will get a cult following….[/quote]

Its legendary in its own cover Simon….. I never walk in Wigan without it!!!!

K1ngston
    Participant

[quote quote=935059] @k1ngston — Absolutely love it! That’s what we need on here. More humour – after all, life out there in this big bad world we live in, is horrible at times.

We need more humour. I insist on it.[/quote]

Totally agree what would the world be without humour, and my favourite magazine 🙂

alainboy56
    Participant

@ K1ngston – I am flying BA tonight – will try to pick up a copy.

SimonS1
    Participant

[quote quote=935103]

@k1ngston — Absolutely love it! That’s what we need on here. More humour – after all, life out there in this big bad world we live in, is horrible at times.

We need more humour. I insist on it.

Totally agree what would the world be without humour, and my favourite magazine 🙂[/quote]

I completely agree, we all need our favourites, I suppose if faced with a choice between Walking in Wigan, Falklands Sheep Monthly and Business Traveller I can understand 😉

K1ngston
    Participant

[quote quote=935113]@ K1ngston – I am flying BA tonight – will try to pick up a copy.[/quote]

alainboy did you get me a copy of “Walking in Wigan”. it’s been a tough weekend and I need my fix 🙂

Thank you ….

miningguy
    Participant

I tried the app when in the LHR BA Gold lounge last week. I really am not opposed to everything going digital (and much easier to read on a packed plane), however I really didn’t find the selection available on the app up to much at all – or at least if they were there, I could not easily find them.

For me, I would prefer a smaller selection of higher quality publications – rather then 1000s.

SimonS1
    Participant

[quote quote=937824]

@ K1ngston – I am flying BA tonight – will try to pick up a copy.

alainboy did you get me a copy of “Walking in Wigan”. it’s been a tough weekend and I need my fix 🙂

Thank you ….[/quote]

It has been replaced on the BA shelves by “The European Quarterly” and “Sights of Kiev”.

Surplus stocks to be shifted by autumn I believe.

rferguson
    Participant

BA will trial the removal of both Highlife and the Business Life (where carried). The trial will take place on 5 x short haul aircraft and 5 x longhaul aircraft. Customers will be able to access an online version onboard for free via wifi.

Not really a cost cutting exercise of course of course, more about saving trees. 😉

2 users thanked author for this post.

SimonS1
    Participant

I have often wondered why this hasn’t happened before. Tons of paper being unnecessarily carted around the world.

capetonianm
    Participant

What about thousands of tons of ‘duty free’ being transported around the world, in some case from one side of the world to the other commercially, and then back to origin by passengers? That really is a disgrace and should be banned and replaced by sales on arrival. Apart from the weight and consequent extra fuel burn, it takes up scarce overhead locker space, is a fire hazard, and generally a nuisance. It also gives rise to misunderstandings at security at transit stops.

The bigger question perhaps is ‘is duty free necessary?’ to which I suppose the answer is that the shopping malls masquerading as airports would go bankrupt without their ghastly retail areas.

rferguson
    Participant

[postquote quote=990813][/postquote]

In short, it’s because it is a very profitable area of the business. I can’t understand how as I don’t notice many people purchasing on board anymore but this very question was asked to BA just last week on an internal forum and that was the answer given.

Andrew
    Participant

Quite a few places – including LHR – do a ‘Duty free on arrival’. This saves buying Scotch in New Zealand!

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 75 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls