More cost cutting by BA

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 75 total)

• JJ
    Participant

Think its a good move for the environment but think there could be a option to download newspapers and magazines at the gate for free (for those who forgot to at home)

I was thinking the other day about the huge ammount of plastic sleeves, cups, cutlery and bottles airlines must get through. Can’t imagine they want to carry all this either due to weight and space

Is there a better way? Certainly the small wine bottles and small spirts could be replaced by large glass bottles. Perhaps pre ordering drinks as well as food should be the industry norm?

TominScotland
    Participant

JJ, one of my favourite memories of early long-haul travel was on a Qantas 767 from Singapore to Sydney. The flight was only about 25% full and my other half and I had a block of 3 seats in Economy to ourselves. The crew served us wine from full-size bottles but, on hearing my wife’s dulcet Co Cork tones, dumped two full bottles (red and white) on our spare table with the words, “enjoy these, Irish”…….

1 user thanked author for this post.

Johnnyg
    Participant

BPP

As opposed to the digital editions which I find are inconsistent in staying in a sector or even a page.

Window-seat
    Participant

I honestly can’t remember the last time I read a real paper. And with press reader, you at least have a choice beyond the awful Murdoch papers and the bland Indi. And think of CO2 saved by not flying copies of the Daily Mail around the globe (let’s face it no one needs that!)

2 users thanked author for this post.

rferguson
    Participant

[quote quote=929629]

I believe nearly all ‘paper’ newspapers will be phased out in the near future.

Not sure rferguson, there are many out here that love the feel of the paper, the crispness softening as you caress through its seductive pages.

The ease of navigation that can’t be replicated digitally, naturally starting on the emotive back pages and thumbing back through, only stopping when a headline challenges you to dive in and immerse yourself in the warmth of words.

Or the coming together of ink and script as the satisfaction of a completed crossword contently embraces your soul.

Tablets like their medicine namesake are cold and clinical.[/quote]

I agree with you Canuck. I’m one of those that prefers to read a ‘real’ newspaper. Or magazine or book.

However, people also want variety. Customers have been complaining since the beginning of time ‘why don’t you have XYZ newspaper/Magazine’?

Apps like PressReader have hundreds upon hundreds of newspapers and magazines. A variety an airline could never stock. I even found my local newspaper in my language on there.

So many of our customers are non English speaking and we’ve never really catered to them except on select routes (ie Japan, India, China and some Middle East routes have A local title on inbound flights only.

Also, even with English titles. The return flights newspapers and dispatched from London on the previous sector. So if you are flying Singapore to London your ‘news’ is already almost 48hrs old.

Other airlines have been offering PressReader for some time. I’m not sure how it would work but when I flew Qantas they send you a link 48hrs before your flight which gives you free access until after your flight.

2 users thanked author for this post.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

KLM is saying it will not stock newspapapers/magazines on its flights effective May 1.

Instead they will be available in the airport lounges.

via Luchtvaartnieuws.nl [NL]

https://www.luchtvaartnieuws.nl/nieuws/categorie/2/airlines/klm-stopt-met-kranten-en-tijdschriften-aan-boord?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Mark Caswell
    Keymaster

Finnair made a similar move last year:

Finnair to remove print newspapers from long-haul flights

stevescoots
    Participant

I have no issue with it at all, Whilst i do not use electronic print as its known, i am happy if papers are just in the lounge

capetonianm
    Participant

I read elsewhere that BA have terminated their agreement to supply the FT to its pax.

rferguson
    Participant

I didn’t realise BA had launched PressReader but it seems they have.

They send the information in the pre flight services email with a link for three days free access of 7000 titles. See image attached.

Henryp1
    Participant

[quote quote=929939]I didn’t realise BA had launched PressReader but it seems they have.

They send the information in the pre flight services email with a link for three days free access of 7000 titles. See image attached.[/quote]

What a superb service, and much better for the green agenda, giving a much greater selection than currently offered in paper form. The three day link seems generous too.

Swissdiver
    Participant

Air France does that as well, for some time now. They even incorporated it in they leisure app. I have to say I like downloading a bunch of papers and magasines even if I have to admit, I usually don’t find the time to read them all…

ImissConcorde
    Participant

Was not aware of PressReader until I saw this thread.

It works very well with my Surrey County Council library card!

Cheeryguy
    Participant

I’ve just received the link with an OLCI email……excellent idea.

SimonS1
    Participant

[quote quote=929638]If I want to read a quality newspaper (FT, for example) when I am travelling, I always find that newsagents are a great place to start. Most will sell you whatever takes your fancy at a very reasonable price. Alternatively, I can recommend Metro as a free alternative. Why should BA pay for your newspaper?[/quote]

They don’t. Mostly they are provided for free to increase circulation. Just like The Times all around Gatwick. Still I guess that doesn’t suit the story line?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 75 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls