More cost cutting by BA

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 75 total)

• SimonS1
    Participant

The Financial Times has been dumped.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

I always wonder who pays for the papers at the boarding gate – are they supplied by BA at a cost or supplied by the newspapers FoC?

rferguson
    Participant

I believe nearly all ‘paper’ newspapers will be phased out in the near future.

BA has been trialling PressReader for almost a year now and will likely roll it out soon (although no confirmation of date).

Many other airlines have done the same and having used it (BA staff have been given free access as a trial) i’d much prefer the Press Reader route.

2 users thanked author for this post.

canucklad
    Participant

“Of course, the world’s favourite business newspaper is widely available on a range of other leading airlines”

Brilliant jibe at BA, on so many levels.

I don’t read the FT, however BA have shot themselves in the foot, unless of course the marketing men have deliberately opted to remove an overt link of quality to their own brand.

On the other hand, if BA insists on thinking it’s a quality brand , then removing the FT with its admittedly limited appeal, and it’s niche readership is a cutting it’s nose off move.

Or maybe, it’s BA admitting that the demographics of who actually flies BA has now shifted . And the high flyers who read the FT are now opting to spend their cash on other “Other leading airlines”

travelworld2
    Participant

I’m with rferguson. I’d much rather have a huge variety of newspapers available on my tablet than a hard copy of one which only gets thrown away anyway.

ImissConcorde
    Participant

I’m sure that the FT reader is not dependent on flying BA to get his/her copy!

2 users thanked author for this post.

canucklad
    Participant

[quote quote=929612]I believe nearly all ‘paper’ newspapers will be phased out in the near future.[/quote]

Not sure rferguson, there are many out here that love the feel of the paper, the crispness softening as you caress through its seductive pages.

The ease of navigation that can’t be replicated digitally, naturally starting on the emotive back pages and thumbing back through, only stopping when a headline challenges you to dive in and immerse yourself in the warmth of words.

Or the coming together of ink and script as the satisfaction of a completed crossword contently embraces your soul.

Tablets like their medicine namesake are cold and clinical.

3 users thanked author for this post.

Henryp1
    Participant

A very good idea to get rid of paper as part of a greener way to travel, also prevents a lot of waste as only read once, well done BA.

BPP
    Participant

As a suscriber to The times I find that The biggest problem with the print edition is the ‘black-hands’ issue after reading it. Whatever ink they use sure rubs off very easily.
    BPP

1 user thanked author for this post.

canucklad
    Participant

[quote quote=929633]A very good idea to get rid of paper as part of a greener way to travel, also prevents a lot of waste as only read once, well done BA.[/quote]

Actually the demise of the daily paper has led to a substantial increase in usage of unrecyclable cardboard boxes.

Can’t recall the last time I enjoyed Fish and Chips wrapped in newspaper. Mind you, can never recall having a chippie out of a poke wrapped in pink paper : )

TominScotland
    Participant

If I want to read a quality newspaper (FT, for example) when I am travelling, I always find that newsagents are a great place to start. Most will sell you whatever takes your fancy at a very reasonable price. Alternatively, I can recommend Metro as a free alternative. Why should BA pay for your newspaper?

5 users thanked author for this post.

openfly
    Participant

The demographics of BA Premium passengers must have changed tremendously over the last year or so as there are piles of The Sun….such a quality newspaper!….in the T5/T3 First lounges and the T5 Concorde Room.

TheRealBabushka
    Participant

The FT needs to fix its e-paper app. It’s flakey and relies on a browser. The Telegraph app does it so much better.

canucklad
    Participant

[quote quote=929638]Most will sell you whatever takes your fancy at a very reasonable price.[/quote]

Indeed Tom …. However, and self-deprecating the stereotype of a whole nation, there’s nothing worse than handing over well-earned coinage of the realm to WH Smith’s for a copy of “The Scotsman” just to find piles of complimentary copies of the same publication at the gate : )

Folium
    Participant

I reckon by the mid-decades of this century the idea of reading the news on messy bits of paper will be regarded as “quaint and so old fashioned”, as will driving licenses and filling up vehicles with fossil fuels.
    Perhaps BA is just ahead of the curve….

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 75 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls