More cost cutting by BA

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 75 total)

• SimonS1
    Participant

[quote quote=929633]A very good idea to get rid of paper as part of a greener way to travel, also prevents a lot of waste as only read once, well done BA.[/quote]

As 78% of paper in UK is recycled the argument that it prevents a lot of waste is also pretty debatable.

http://www.yellow-woods.co.uk/paper-recycling-in-the-uk-facts-and-figures.html

rferguson
    Participant

For me the biggest benefit is choice or titles. And as someone that hands out ‘real’ newspapers in the premium cabins on BA longhaul jets I can say the take up is around 10-15% This could very well be down to lack of range of titles but nonetheless.

The green credentials are also important to me. Not just in the sense that the PressReader app saves a tree or two but also you can not imagine the quantity of newspapers that end up being flown around the world on BA aircraft and landing back in London unused because no one is interested in reading news that is a day or two old.

frustratedflyer
    Participant

I have mixed feelings about the decline in newspapers at BA. During the week I tend to consume news online but do like a paper newspaper when I have more time (especially at weekends) and want to go beyond the main headlines. It does frustrate me that on Saturdays in BA Lounges after lunch all you can find is The Sun! Press Reader is great for giving a wide selection but I for one like reading magazines in print. So if print is slowly disappearing from airlines and lounges what does this mean for Business Traveller? I for one enjoy reading and picking up Business Traveller (amongst other magazines) in the Lounges.

Henryp1
    Participant

[quote quote=930021]

A very good idea to get rid of paper as part of a greener way to travel, also prevents a lot of waste as only read once, well done BA.

As 78% of paper in UK is recycled the argument that it prevents a lot of waste is also pretty debatable.

http://www.yellow-woods.co.uk/paper-recycling-in-the-uk-facts-and-figures.html[/quote]

Not really, the remaining 22% is beneficial, every little helps. I wouldn’t object to increasing my fees for the same %.

Andrew
    Participant

Travel First Class on Heathrow Express and you get a free FT!

openfly
    Participant

Andrew…that’s a verrrry expensive FT!!

GivingupBA
    Participant

[quote quote=930177]Andrew…that’s a verrrry expensive FT!![/quote]

I couldn’t agree more. It’s only a 15-minute journey and the Heathrow Express price difference between Business First and Express Saver seems large to me, whereas the difference in comfort is in my opinion minimal. So not at all worth it.

canucklad
    Participant

Indulge me, with a quick unscientific poll ?

As mentioned, I’m a fan of the printed medium.
    And , one of my greatest joys in life was boarding a plane homeward bound and grabbing a copy of the most recent paper onboard that arrived on the inbound flight.

Catching up on all the latest sporting stories in the Lower Mainland as I board an AC flight back to YVR……or the reverse after an extended stay
    Catching up on all the gossip that surrounds the goldfish bowl that’s Scottish football on my return to Edinburgh as I board the shuttle at LHR !!

Bliss, Bliss and more Bliss !!

Anyone else enjoy catching up in this very old fashioned manner?

2 users thanked author for this post.

GivingupBA
    Participant

[quote quote=930193]As mentioned, I’m a fan of the printed medium… Anyone else enjoy catching up in this very old fashioned manner?[/quote]

Yes – me – always

Swissdiver
    Participant

[quote quote=930179]

Andrew…that’s a verrrry expensive FT!!

I couldn’t agree more. It’s only a 15-minute journey and the Heathrow Express price difference between Business First and Express Saver seems large to me, whereas the difference in comfort is in my opinion minimal. So not at all worth it.[/quote]

GBP 9 per way. I’m keen to pay them when it is crowded or if I’ve just missed a train (i.e. I’ll spend 35 minutes on the train).

Andrew
    Participant

Hard copy – always!

d1rector
    Participant

Another BA faux pas. I am only interested in reading the FT and the International NY Times (and the Economist) in print; and I am not attracted to other newspapers. PressReader is NOT a pleasurable alternative for me. I believe the reports of the death of print – newspapers, magazines or books – are over-exaggerated. Quality publications abandon print at their peril; and I don’t believe this is merely a generational habit issue. Same with bricks and mortar retail.

Andrew
    Participant

I think it was H G Wells who first predicted the end of books – in about 1892!

SimonS1
    Participant

There are about 5 million newspapers sold every day in UK, plus many more free papers read like the Evening Standard.

So there are plenty of people who prefer a paper copy.

Johnnyg
    Participant

As an avid reader of all types of publications, have a fullish Kindle and Audiobook subscriptions, and digital subscriptions to The Times and Telegraph etc, I still like to have a hard copy occasionally,(especially the Times due to its clunky website)

For me it’s not the amount of newspapers that are carted around but the bulk of magazines in lounges and waiting areas. How many pax collect a bulky magazine re properties of the world etc to take with them, not many I suspect, yet they all have to be shipped around. Sheer madness.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 75 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls