More BAd news….

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 108 total)

• capetonianm
    Participant

He told me he ……….. would be suing BA, as he had booked the over wing.

Don’t people read the ‘small print’ where it very clearly states that the airline may change the allocated seat for operational or safety reasons, or for any other excuse they can drum up. In such a case I would expect no more than a refund of the reservation/premium seat fee I’d paid, and with some airlines you have to fight even for that.

I know airlines treat people badly but the reverse applies too and as an ex-airline employee with many years of dealing with self-loading freight, albeit mostly not at the coal face, I have an ability to see it from both sides.

Flightlevel
    Participant

[quote quote=869814]
    it makes me sad to read it day after day. But in-between, in the last two days, I’ve found things to do with my weekend. And am about to walk out into the evening summer sunshine and forget all about it for a few hours.
    [/quote]
    We all get annoyed by those critics of people, not the facts or honest opinions, and you do well to manage it all without lawyers (like Flyertalk!).
    BA must enjoy that their video is so controversial and it has certainly been a very long topic.
    It was a good weekend in the UK and we’re happy you enjoyed most of it.

FDOS_UK
    Participant

[quote quote=870036]Don’t people read the ‘small print’ where it very clearly states that the airline may change the allocated seat for operational or safety reasons, or for any other excuse they can drum up.[/quote]

Maybe yes, maybe no. From my PoV, it’s the lack of communication that is discourteous – if a service provider has to withdraw part of the product purchased, it is both good service and expected by the customer that they will be notified in advance and possibly some type of service recovery offered.

if easyJet, a non-premium outfit, can manage to re-map seats so the customers who bought them get what they paid for, why can’t a ‘premium’ airline do the same? Sure, it’s more complex moving outside two variants of one aircraft, but what does the premium part mean if such a basic action cannot be performed?

I was a little miffed to lose my comped GCH bulkhead aisle seat for in the last row (and distinctly unimpressed that no WTP meal was available, as that is part of the product price), but if I paid hard cash for the seat, I’d have been really annoyed.

handbag
    Participant

[quote quote=870036]

He told me he ……….. would be suing BA, as he had booked the over wing.

Don’t people read the ‘small print’ where it very clearly states that the airline may change the allocated seat for operational or safety reasons, or for any other excuse they can drum up. In such a case I would expect no more than a refund of the reservation/premium seat fee I’d paid, and with some airlines you have to fight even for that.

I know airlines treat people badly but the reverse applies too and as an ex-airline employee with many years of dealing with self-loading freight, albeit mostly not at the coal face, I have an ability to see it from both sides.[/quote]

You are totally correct, but I did not want to flame the fire and I felt this may have pushed him over the edge.

handbag
    Participant

FDOS_UK

Sometimes people just need to vent. He had been given a non overwing seat, I found him a bulk head to try and help, offered several other options and he wanted to stand and shout. I generally find if you handle it calmly and apologise, often after the rant, they actually come back and apologise to you.

FDOS_UK
    Participant

[quote quote=870087]FDOS_UK

Sometimes people just need to vent. He had been given a non overwing seat, I found him a bulk head to try and help, offered several other options and he wanted to stand and shout. I generally find if you handle it calmly and apologise, often after the rant, they actually come back and apologise to you.[/quote]

You are obviously highly skilled in handling people. Have you seen the Thomas Kilman conflict model? By taking an accommodating approach (as far as you were able) you defuse the situation and when the client starts to think more rationally, they often realise that you got the rough end of their venting and feel bad about that, thus the apology.

I guess my point is that it should not be the crew who have to deal with this, as if the customer knows in advance, they are prepared and may have a little moan, but not a full on rant.

Some people just like to complain, but if the client has a value based personality, what seems a relatively minor matter to others can be a big deal to them, as a red line has been crossed! They might even refuse further contact to the extent of refusing meals or other services, which is difficult to understand when encountered.

PhilipHart
    Participant

Reported for failing to adopt the Thomas Kilman approach in all his dealings with forum contributors.

DavidArnold
    Participant

PhilipHart – Superb sir.

handbag
    Participant

FDOS_UK

You are obviously highly skilled in handling people. Have you seen the Thomas Kilman conflict model? By taking an accommodating approach (as far as you were able) you defuse the situation and when the client starts to think more rationally, they often realise that you got the rough end of their venting and feel bad about that, thus the apology.
    I guess my point is that it should not be the crew who have to deal with this, as if the customer knows in advance, they are prepared and may have a little moan, but not a full on rant.

Haven’t seen Kilman conflict model.

In an ideal world I wouldn’t have to listen to rants over things I can’t alter or control, but I actually feel it is part of my job and what I expect to happen. Most people don’t actually mean it and are just frustrated, although some are trying it on (I can usually tell). You are correct, they do sometimes refuse refuse food and drink. No matter what, you just have to keep on being polite and know even on the longest flight you will likely never see them again. Often I do genuinely sympathise and go out of my way to help. If ever I do have to move someone to sort something out, if they are being the obnoxious one, I move someone nice. The obnoxious one gets what they ask for and someone who is nice gets something even better.

FDOS_UK
    Participant

[quote quote=870147]FDOS_UK

Haven’t seen Kilman conflict model.

In an ideal world I wouldn’t have to listen to rants over things I can’t alter or control, but I actually feel it is part of my job and what I expect to happen. Most people don’t actually mean it and are just frustrated, although some are trying it on (I can usually tell). You are correct, they do sometimes refuse refuse food and drink. No matter what, you just have to keep on being polite and know even on the longest flight you will likely never see them again. Often I do genuinely sympathise and go out of my way to help. If ever I do have to move someone to sort something out, if they are being the obnoxious one, I move someone nice. The obnoxious one gets what they ask for and someone who is nice gets something even better.[/quote]

Do BA know what skills they are losing? 30 years of solid gold experience is going to walk out of the door and be lost – such a shame that you were not allowed to work with the MF crew and help them to understand some of the issues that confront them 🙁

handbag
    Participant

FDOS -UK
    Do BA know what skills they are losing? 30 years of solid gold experience is going to walk out of the door and be lost – such a shame that you were not allowed to work with the MF crew and help them to understand some of the issues that confront them 🙁

Thank you. I think that both youth and experience are valuable and there could have been much we could have taught each other over the years. Did my last flight last week and went in to hand my uniform in this morning and did not feel any regret about my decision at all. Looking forward to my future.

alainboy56
    Participant

@rferguson … or even if you are British but havn’t lived in the UK, nor taken any interest in popular culture for more than 25 years. I watched it once, didn’t really understand anything and looked away. This reminds me of when I took ‘Alaingirl67’ to UK for the first time 20 years ago, and flew into STN from Pisa. (She is Finnish and speaks almost flawless English, but has never lived in UK). We went to collect the hire car and the guy gave me instructions in broad ‘Essex English’ where to find the car, and off we went. Whilst walking after 25m, she said to me, “Oh my God, I thought I spoke good English but I didn’t understand a word he said back there, was that really English? – So from this tale, it proves that a safety video of this kind will not work (and therefore does NOT meet regulations) with anyone apart from real true Brits, and then again, in this instance, only those who live immersed in popular culture.
    On the subject of Safety Videos, I did like the old one from QR with the Barca football stars including Messi and Pique. In comparison the new one is very poor. Does anyone really recognise who plays for Bayern Munich? Maybe some of us know Franck Riberry and Arjen Robben, but aren’t they now both retired?

Inthesandpit
    Participant

I agree the video is too long, however I do recognize the ‘theatre luvvies’ but who is the Muppet that narrates it? The sound of his voice makes me switch off immediately. But IMHO it is better than the previous animated version. I never really understood the soccer themed QR videos, but then 22 grown men paid increasingly excessive salaries chasing a ball to try and get it in a net was a total mystery to me even from an early age, and I grew up in the NE of England where apparently there are or were major soccer teams. (for years I thought Tottenham Hotspur and Spurs were different teams, until it was explained to me). It is the same with the ANZ videos, quite impressive, only recognized one actor, and again never understood Tolkien or grown up fairy stories. Fly Dubai have quite a watchable animated and at times witty safety video. I suppose at the end of the day it is personal choice. For me being an ex Steward from the 80s, oops sorry cabin attendant, I prefer the personal demonstration by a crew member. But one thing used to bug me when giving the demonstration in the Business and First cabins was that most of the predominantly male passengers travelling then (especially on KSA routes) totally ignored the crew, with one of the passengers actually saying why do you do that, we all know what to do, we probably fly more than you – arrogance or what.

FDOS_UK
    Participant

Alainboy56

Your post sums up most of my concerns about this video.

Inthesandpit

I also prefer a manual demo, but the Ryanair (or easyJet) recorded brief, with crew showing the equipment also works well for me.

The arrogance (or stupidity) of people ignoring the brief is a point well made – most people have flown these days and will be aware of the brief content; but the key question is ‘is it fresh in their mind, in case needed?’.

The research data (ex CAA and other official bodies) shows the impact of regression to prior learning manifested in an inability to undo seat belts under stress, because they have a different mechanism to car seat belts, which people learn to open as an unconscious/automatic reaction.

That’s why I pay attention to the brief – or in the case of BA, read the safety card from start to finish, as I cannot bear to watch the video.

FDOS_UK
    Participant

[quote quote=870163]Did my last flight last week and went in to hand my uniform in this morning and did not feel any regret about my decision at all.[/quote]

That is one of the saddest statements I’ve read for a long time, though it’s good that you aren’t regretting your decision.

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 108 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls