More BAd news….

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 108 total)

• Inthesandpit
    Participant

FDOS_UK – I remember the old Cards where they asked you to remove spectacles and false teeth lol

DerekVH
    Participant

[quote quote=870241]

Did my last flight last week and went in to hand my uniform in this morning and did not feel any regret about my decision at all.

That is one of the saddest statements I’ve read for a long time, though it’s good that you aren’t regretting your decision.[/quote]

+1

midorosan2
    Participant

Hear Hear I cannot believe some os these comments most of you need to get out more and smile.

FDOS_UK
    Participant

[quote quote=870262]FDOS_UK – I remember the old Cards where they asked you to remove spectacles and false teeth lol[/quote]

I’d forgotten that! The advice about specs is still good, but pulling out your dental implants is probably a step too far, in these modern days 🙂

DavidGordon10
    Participant

To bring this thread back to its original subject, I am not often on BA, but did see the new safety video twice last week, and I think it is dire. Incomprehensible for those of us who do not know who the performers are, and I suspect even more useless for most non-British passengers. Most important, the safety messages are lost.

I agree absolutely with rferguson on that Quantas video: it really made me watch. I like the KLM video, where images made to look like Delft pottery carry the messages and have a real KLM feel.

However, (unfashionable on this website) my favourite is the safety video on AF long-haul. Clear, easy to watch, very Gallic and with a little gentle humour that works both in French and in English.

FDOS_UK
    Participant

[quote quote=870556]To bring this thread back to its original subject, I am not often on BA, but did see the new safety video twice last week, and I think it is dire. Incomprehensible for those of us who do not know who the performers are, and I suspect even more useless for most non-British passengers. Most important, the safety messages are lost.

I agree absolutely with rferguson on that Quantas video: it really made me watch. I like the KLM video, where images made to look like Delft pottery carry the messages and have a real KLM feel.

However, (unfashionable on this website) my favourite is the safety video on AF long-haul. Clear, easy to watch, very Gallic and with a little gentle humour that works both in French and in English.[/quote]

+1 – I haven’t been on an AF flight recently, but the old safety video was good.

Nogbad01
    Participant

I hate this video. It was bad the first time, but after a few months I started realising it was not just a temporary thing, but was here to stay.
    All the crew I have discussed it with seem to hate it too and mainly because its soooo… long.
    The old animated one had the merits of being reasonably short and (more importantly) was tailored to the specific aircraft type, so it could show you the exits etc. Important information and directly relevant.
    The new one is not funny, misses vital safety information and due to its length and boring nature means that for the first time ever, I will not watch.
    I hope if they do replace it, they go back to something actually fit for purpose.

mkcol74
    Participant

My favourite is this from Virgin America which I think American tried to emulate with this

PS: How are y’all posting the video within your post, rather than as a link like what I’ve achieved?

canucklad
    Participant

Firstly congratulations handbag, enjoy the start of all the new opportunities that lie ahead of you ….

Now back to the video’s……

As far as using children, I’d say that it’s akin to those annoying parents who assume that by dangling a “Child on board” sign the driver behind is going to suddenly start to drive like a Valium fuelled Nana Mouskouri

Back to the BA video, I love the concept, alas IMO the people who created it seemed to have missed the primary point of the video— To educate people on safety !!

They would have achieved this if they had kept to a few simple rules …..

There are too many people talking….This reduces the capability of the average human brain to tune into the tonality /speech rhythms of the messenger !
    The visual aids tend not to be associated with how to use them in context – a perfect example is Rob Brydon’s seatbelt over the blanket piece.
    Enunciation needs to be clear—Now we know Gordon Ramsay is known for a rant, all very good, but his audience here isn’t a failing restaurateur, rather a passenger (potentially novice) who needs clear instruction —- All he needed to do was slow down a bit –Job done!!
    And I’d be asking, what does a coloured streamer look like ?

For me, keep it simple and the jokes would have had more impact !!

Finally ,using Ba’s signature tune “Flower Duet from Lakme” is the producers attempt at bringing brevity to the overall message .

openfly
    Participant

As BA have little input into the production of the horrendous safety video because the begging Relief company pay for its production, can we expect any better? If it’s free BA will buy it! So we have no choice, and have to put up with this rubbish…

MartynSinclair
    Participant

[quote quote=869815]BA Cabin Crew have manuals on tiny details of everything we can and cant do – Standard Operating Procedures. This includes when the blinds must be up , when they can be down, if it is a pax window or a crew seat window, what level the lights are for take off and landing etc. There is nothing in there that says we are to ask pax to stop talking or they must watch the video and not read a paper. We should ask them to sit down while it is on, we should make sure the screen is out, the floor at bulkheads and door is clear etc etc. If I ask a pax to do something that is written down, then I am totally covered and it doesn’t matter if they don’t like the ruling. If I ask them to do something that is not and they complain, then I would get no backing from BA.

If I hadnt seen it I dont think I would have believed it, despite what handbag says above.

Just come off a shorthaul. was sitting in row 5. On comesthe safety briefing, young frau next to me speaking in her phone. Cabin crew positioned by row 5, asks her gently to cut the call. Young frau ignores… continues and cabin crew, despite my incredulous gaze… did nothing more. Eventually, I asked her to stop the call, which very begrudgingly she did about 30 seconds later. This all took place in full line of site of cabin crew.

I had to ask the question to the delightful cabin crew manager, mid flight, who very nicely and politely explained there is nothing they can do about it.

1. Passengers have been known to quote their human rights to make phone calls

2. BA do not want to take the risk of having to take a flight back to a stand that is probably already back in use. The cost would be very high – perhaps this also explains why its only the loco’s you hear about turfing passengers off flights

3. She also confirmed that more and more passengers are complaining, not becasue they cant hear the briefing, but the know all who doesnt listen are likely to be the ones who are clueless, if an event happened.

The cabin crew member whonwaas atnrow 5 for the briefing joined the conversation and contrary to me thinking she was new, she was a very experienced member of staff who said she was just as frustrated as the pasengers by not being able to say anything.

So much for the safety briefing and i go back to a thread i created some time ago…. Is there really a need for a safety briefing, especially if the airline themselves treat it as a joke…

nevereconomy
    Participant

I have spent a significant part of my life flying and I still studiously watch the safety briefing on EVERY flight, I figure that the more ingrained it is, like driving, it will just happen automatically if I need it. For me the presentation of it is unimportant – the content is what matters.
    DavidArnold your BA comment is refreshing and mirrors mine, as the regulars here will already know.

handbag
    Participant

MartynSinclair

I too feel very frustrated and know that many pax feel we are not being proactive or vigilant. Glad you got chance to speak to Crew who backed up what I have said.

It is so easy for Crew when the SOP says all floor areas in Club ,First doors and bulkheads must be clear. A pax can argue I have important things , it is only small, other airlines don’t make me etc etc , no matter what they say eventually I have to insist the area is cleared. Sometimes a painful process, but for Crew it is very clear and simple.

FDOS_UK
    Participant

I’ve tried to do a quick poll to see what the overall view was ….. apologies if I have omitted you (I wasn’t sure whether some posts were pro, con or neutral) and also if I’ve misclassified your view – do feel free to correct me.

‘This house believes the BA video is a substandard effort at a safety briefing and should be replaced’

The Ayes

openfly
    capetonianm
    Lugano Pirate (I think)
    FDOS
    Martyn Sinclair
    Flightlevel (I think)
    Swissdiver
    RFerguson
    handbag
    alainboy56
    DavidGordon10
    Nogbad01
    Canucklad (I think)

The Nays

David Arnold
    Steve Scoots
    London Frog
    MarkivJ
    Inthesandpit

The ayes have it, the ayes have it.

CathayLoyalist2
    Participant

Well just last night flying to Madrid from Alicante on Air Nostrum, for the most part an airline I enjoy flying, we started to taxi and I had to point out to the cabin crew the fasten seat belt sign was not on. Panic ensued, a quick to the flight deck and “Ding Dong” on it came. So much for the pre flight check list

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 108 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls