More BAd news….

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 108 total)

• Flightlevel
    Participant

Well yes ‘though we won’t win the World cup!😀😃

TominScotland
    Participant

FDOS_UK, it is comments like yours here that are making many of us give serious thought to quitting this Forum. There appears to be only one truth that you will buy into and should anyone dare to dispute your neo-Stalinist interpretation of reality – that (almost) all things BA are somehow bad, need repeating 10 times (I think that was your number) and evidence of a conspiratorial ‘race to the bottom’ – woe betide them for their temerity!!

It is a pity that a plurality of views is no longer acceptable here and maybe BT should think about the consequences of letting a forum be so (damagingly) dominated by one loud and baying voice.

With that (which, no doubt will elicit a rapid response from said loud voice, probably welcoming my departure), I wish all genuine posters safe travels. I am done with this place.

1 user thanked author for this post.

Swissdiver
    Participant

Tomin,
    I thing this forum needs you and all the other long term posters. So please don’t leave because of a childish post, one of many I am afraid though. Maturity should allow us to ignore these useless intervention and continue the discussion where we left it.

So back to the topic. I think the most annoying security film was on QR, where the same football images were shown again and again (with Paris SG and Barcelona of course)… They were (presuming it changed) discouraging any intention to listen to the video.

stevescoots
    Participant

I thought it was ok, first couple of times i saw it kept me watching, however now like most safety videos if you see them enough times you tend to ignore them. What we need to remember is that whilst we see these week in, week out…for the majority who fly once or twice a year it’s all new and if it has a way of hooking people in, no matter how its done then I don’t see any problem with it

MartynSinclair
    Participant

I don’t think any safety briefing needs to be 6 minutes+ long & contain jokes. Make it shorter and more direct, i.e. telling passengers to watch, not asking them – would make it have more impact.

I certainly agree with FDoS’s comment…

“Classic communications strategy says create messages inline with AIDCA – Attract attention, Interest people, create desire, confirm what you want and establish the action you wish to happen – if people are focusing on the celebs and jokes, I would assess that the video has failed as the point should be awareness of equipment/usage, exits and other relevant data that needs to be retained for the duration of the flight.”

FDOS_UK
    Participant

FDOS_UK, it is comments like yours here that are making many of us give serious thought to quitting this Forum. There appears to be only one truth that you will buy into and should anyone dare to dispute your neo-Stalinist interpretation of reality – that (almost) all things BA are somehow bad, need repeating 10 times (I think that was your number) and evidence of a conspiratorial ‘race to the bottom’ – woe betide them for their temerity!!

One truth? I have stated repeatedly that we all have such a small sample size of flights that there is no ‘truth’ for any of us, just our personal experience and perception. Rather than me, it is you who sometimes comments on people’s reported experiences, e.g. twice recently commenting that another company’s website was equally bad or some similar justification to support your worldview.

My view on BA is (a) I am a regular user as WTP is a very good product that gives VFM (stated often, ignored by the one eyed), (b) the company cannot run a competitive world class first product, (c) has a long haul business class product that is years out of date, (d) provides an excellent facility in the First Wing and (e) has a flaky website – which was the source of your moan ‘do we need another thread on this, to which I replied ‘we need 10 more threads’ – IT only, not everything. In other words, it is a mixed bag. The majority of crew I’ve asked have said the safety video is awful and embarrassing – to quote some of them, ‘some foreign pax looked totally confused’, ‘it gets attention, but what are the pax taking on board?’, ‘I don’t know how it got signed off with the mistake in the middle’.

Conspiracy? the YouGov BrandIndex survey of late 2017 tells its own story – I suppose you see YouGov as the secret organising commmittee and the 2.5 million interviews per annum as being all skewed?

https://yougov.co.uk/news/2017/11/07/british-airways-losing-altitude-public/

*****Edited by Business Traveller*****

FDOS_UK
    Participant

[quote quote=869755]Tomin,

So back to the topic. I think the most annoying security film was on QR, where the same football images were shown again and again (with Paris SG and Barcelona of course)… They were (presuming it changed) discouraging any intention to listen to the video.[/quote]

Even though the videos you mention were about 2 mins shorter than BA’s, I do agree – they were boring and anyone who does not follow football would have found them confusing.

Much better to accept that safety briefings are not entertainment, keep them short, to the point and simple – I still like a manual briefing.

FDOS_UK
    Participant

[quote quote=869758]I don’t think any safety briefing needs to be 6 minutes+ long & contain jokes. Make it shorter and more direct, i.e. telling passengers to watch, not asking them – would make it have more impact.[/quote]

Well done Ryanair, the only airline where I have witnessed (on several occasions) the briefing being halted and crew asking pax to be quiet and pay attention.

Their brief is also to the point at 2 mins 30 seconds, recorded for consistency and involving crew providing exit and equipment demos.

FDOS_UK
    Participant

Swissdiver

I’ve just remembered that Turkish Airlines had a safety video featuring Man Utd players – despite the fact that this is my club, it was six minutes of trite compost. Way too long.

Rferguson

The Qantas video you linked was interesting – having travelled a number of times in their Premium class, in the front row,, screens had to be stored in the seat for the video and it was sound only – this was very confusing, as a lot of the sound track had visual linked, e.g. ‘We’re flying over xxxxxxxx’.

I could not understand why Qantas had this rule, whilst BA and other carriers would proactively open your screen, if it was stowed. Having spoken with crew members, it was deliberate policy, not inattention – didn’t make much sense to me.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

The Emirates safety video is also 6+ minutes long. Half in Arabic and then half in English. The graphics are very good and even in Arabic it’s understandable what you should and should not do. What I hate though is the long video (slight drift here) extolling the virtues of Dubai Duty Free. It always interrupts something I’m watching, usually the tail camera as we make our descent, and is frankly annoying.

Reverting to the safety video, if I’m honest I much prefer it when done by a member of the cabin crew. It’s more personal and if i’m honest I’m embarrassed if i don’t watch, so it has my full attention, whereas with the video I couldn’t care less – after watching it three times that is!!!

FDOS_UK
    Participant

[quote quote=869767]What I hate though is the long video (slight drift here) extolling the virtues of Dubai Duty Free. It always interrupts something I’m watching, usually the tail camera as we make our descent, and is frankly annoying.[/quote]

Agreed. And the 5 faces that pop up asking you to rate today’s flight, just as the aircraft is on very short final! For those with an interesting in flying, it sucks.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

This is indeed a first (for me).. well done Ryan for the professional and direct safety briefing…

It’s to the point, all relevant details, presented in a professional and serious manner, 150 seconds long & most importantly, cabin crew have the authority to tell passengers to belt up and ‘belt up’!

DavidArnold
    Participant

Tominscotland l concur and will instead read the BT magazine and look through its articles rather than going through what was once a great website.

To completely take my comments and describe me in a completely incorrect manner is simply farcical. I support Brexit wholeheartedly and as an ex Army officer who now travels throughout the World with various airlines for work and leisure l enjoy the service that BA have to offer with decent fares when available in First and Club. It reminds me of home when l board a BA 777 or 787 and l am very patriotic when it comes to my “own country” airline and it is so much better than others l could choose.

FDOS_UK is simply a person who would give Trolls a bad name in Norway! He may come across to some as being a nice and funny chap but to me just an overbearing child who would benefit from a little discipline in manners and discussion.

1 user thanked author for this post.

handbag
    Participant

I don’t like it.

I am British, but don’t recognise all of the stars.
    It is far too long, so we are often told it is a short taxi and you are not supposed to put the screens down and start checking in until finished.
    So many of our pax do not have English as first language and I feel it is very British humour.

Many people do find it funny, but almost feel, that once they have seen it once, it doesn’t feel like a Safety Video, so they don’t bother watching at all.

capetonianm
    Participant

FDOS_UK is simply a person who would give Trolls a bad name in Norway! He may come across to some as being a nice and funny chap but to me just an overbearing child who would benefit from a little discipline in manners and discussion.

I think this comment is inappropriate and unfair (and no, I’m not ‘reporting’ it as such!)
    We all have the same rights to express views regardless of whether they concur with others, and a little humour or sarcasm do not go amiss. Perhaps it’s just me but I enjoy his comments even when we don’t agree.

Back to topic, as others have said, I much prefer to see the safety demo performed live and particularly when there’s a touch of warmth and humour in it, and I appreciate it greatly when the CC ask people to pay attention and stop talking. I find it appallingly rude and disrespectful when people talk through the announcements, even if they don’t want to pay full attention they can at least stop talking and reading.

The best safety announcements in my view are Aer Lingus. They are always clear and beautifully enunciated, although I admit that most things sound better when said in an Irish accent, so maybe I am a bit biased.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 108 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls