More BA T5 lounge experiences (formerly disasters)*

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 241 through 255 (of 803 total)

• MartynSinclair
    Participant

In T5 First lounge and viewing the new food offering.

A lot has been said about hygiene. I wonder why the cereal dispenser, which used to be mounted on the wall was removed, in favour of an open “storage” bowl, with spoon.

I know new company means new style, but why change fixtures which were far more hygienic to dispense food?

Travellator
    Participant

Next lounge visit will be Galleries ?- LGW where catering always left a lot to be desired, however if GF is as bad as the last two posters suggest isn’t it time for the Food Hygiene Authorities to be involved – even BA have an obligation to conform with legal and appropriate standards ?

Wasborntotravel
    Participant

Not sure I understand this reaction to biscuits in jars and cereal in open bowls?

The previous catering used to have all the hot food in a buffet style selection (unless you ordered from the menu’s) and no one seemed to complain then? I also personally think the quality has improved.

The new caters would have to comply fully with the applicable health and safetly legislation as its their reputation on the line should they breach the rules and get fined/prosecuted

As for the crisp selection, we should count ourselves lucky that we have even one choice. We now have BaxterStorey as our in-company provider and there are no crisps available…… :-0

AnthonyDunn
    Participant

Cripes! From the tone of some of the postings here, I was thinking of taking some latex gloves and a surgical face mask with me for my next foray through Galleries South…

MartynSinclair
    Participant

@wasborntotravel – previously the cereal was dispensed from sealed units attached to the wall. Now the cereals are left in open bowls served by spoons. Wonder how long it will take for fingers to take directly from the bowl……

@VintageKrug – perhaps you would like to provide a sauce or a source for your claim re salmonella/snot – a picture to prove the point, taken from within the lounge would be even better!

IanFromHKG
    Participant

AnthonyDunn, do take care with that extra equipment! Allergies to latex or the powder on powdered gloves are a problem. As for the surgical facemasks… I have to laugh when I see people blithely wearing these all day and assuming they are safe from all and sundry, oblivious to the fact that they are designed to keep germs in, not out (to prevent surgeons and other OT staff’s germs getting into the patient’s wounds), and that after half an hour they are so warm and full of moisture that they actually become breeding grounds for germs.

Sorry if I shattered anyone’s illusions there…

SimonS1
    Participant

Nice Walkers biscuits in the EK lounge. Shock horror, I took a couple of packets last week to snack on later.

AllOverTheGaff
    Participant

SimonS1 – 18/06/2013 13:23 GMT
    Nice Walkers biscuits in the EK lounge. Shock horror, I took a couple of packets last week to snack on later.

You could, in theory, lose your hands for that.

On the plus side, you’d then be unable to inappropriately finger and prod the BA biscuits.

Hermetically yours….
    AOTG.

Hamewilldayme
    Participant

I was introduced to a stewardess a few years ago at a party. She had had quite a few glasses of champagne to say the least. I mentioned I often travel in business class on her airline and asked her if she liked to work in that cabin. She replied “oh god never i avoid it like the plague. It’s full of jumped up pompous balloons full off their own self importance. Travelling on tickets paid for a majority of the time by their companies”. Not what I was expecting to hear but reading some of the comments on this forum has she got a point?

Ellwood
    Participant

Ian_from_HKG – 18/06/2013 13:12 GMT

“I have to laugh when I see people blithely wearing these all day and assuming they are safe from all and sundry, oblivious to the fact that they are designed to keep germs in, not out (to prevent surgeons and other OT staff’s germs getting into the patient’s wounds), and that after half an hour they are so warm and full of moisture that they actually become breeding grounds for germs.”

Yes, this is why they are worn in Japan when people have colds, it is the person wearing them that is trying to do the right thing by the rest of the people in the train/lift and stop them receiving their terrible germs!

SimonS1
    Participant

AllOverTheGaff – 18/06/2013 13:26 GMT

Yes I can see that now. Could have all kicked off big time 🙂

Hamewilldayme – 18/06/2013 13:47 GMT

What a laugh. As you say she has a point….

Tramor01
    Participant

Hamewilldayme – I’ve heard the comment regarding business class passengers from 2-3 different airline aircrews
    An old friend who worked long haul for American said they used to call them the “wanna be’s” meaning I want to be in first class – she used to prefer working anywhre onboard other than business because the passengers were in her words “much nicer”,

Bucksnet
    Participant

How are the T3 lounges holding up? Not been there for a while now.

IanFromHKG
    Participant

Hamewilldayme, I have heard the same several times. Most CC I have spoken to say their order of preference is first, economy and business, with business coming way down the list!!

dutchyankee
    Participant

I am currently in the Business Class/VIP lounge in Pulkovo airport and it makes me realise how good we have it in any BA lounge at heathrow in comparison. The offering here at LED is never great but today due to the volume of traffic it is absolutely dire. I am looking forward to GF in T5 as I await my connection to BRU in a few hours. If any of you are there around 1800 onward let me know as always nice to meet fellow BT travelers . And looking forward to see the changes in catering discussed on this thread for myself later today.

Viewing 15 posts - 241 through 255 (of 803 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls