Make flying etiquette a high priority

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 85 total)

• Gin&Tonic
    Participant

Cathayloyalist 2, something very similar, I had visited China and Hong many times, eventually my employer transferred me to Hong Kong and I took my wife on an inspection visit prior to the full move. We decided to take a half day organized tour and were waiting for the coach at the collection point.

A gentleman of I assume, mainland origin was also waiting with his family, every minute or so he would hack one up and spit it out. My wife turns to me “You will need to have a word with that chap, I can’t stay on this tour for half a day with that going on all the time” God love her!

On the bus or back to the hotel, that’s the two choices you have, I am not going to ask and he isn’t going to stop.

stevescoots
    Participant

I understand why flight crew’s dont want to deal with these kinds of issues sometimes, it can get violent!

I could write a book on mainland experiences, I stayed in China over the CNY holiday to keep eyes on my factory…gotta do it or things go walking! Anyway, I also own a bar/restaurant the town and although it would be as dead as Skegness on Xmas day I had nothing else to do at night so decided to open up, and as all the Chinese staff were on holiday it was just me and my head barman (from Uk) working. Usually our customers are expats, Hong Kongers, Taiwanese etc but as we were the only place in town open we had some local people in who were spitting on the floor shouting etc, the normal stuff I see every day. I told them many times to stop and they ignored. Eventually another Chinese guy remonstrated with him and he got a slap in the face for his efforts. This sent me into the full big daddy mode bear hugging him and throwing him out and into his car, for my efforts I got spat at and bitten on the arm. He got the Vinnie jones treatment when I slammed the car door on his head. He never did come back for his jacket!

So yes, be wary remonstrating spitting mainlanders!

CathayLoyalist2
    Participant

I am pretty sure I am right when I say to disobey or ignore a lawful request from a cabin crew/flight deck member is a breach of International Aviation Law. The threat of a night in the pokey in Karachi or some other salubrious destination and the cos of potentially diverting the flight tends to have an affect . I agree Asian air crew are less likely than Europeans or Americans to hold the line but in the few experiences I have had where I was assertive but polite in asking that a certain behavior stops has worked. Maybe I’ve been lucky!!

rogernorwich1
    Participant

What a depressing catalogue of complaints…all the things that get right up my nose when travelling by air. Things can be so awful that you just have to accept that you are travelling in a farmyard and that most of the snorters, feet fetishests, seat pullers and bathroom soilers are such sad people that they have no insight as to their social inadequacies. There is no cure for sociopathic behaviour so all one can do is to travel in the cabin closest to the front as can be afforded and just try to block it all out. Getting too annoyed is not good for our health as all the adrenaline plus lower oxygen than normal levels might just help bring on a heart attack so relax and pity your tormentors knowing that soon you will be back in your own home. But take your shoes off as you go through the door because you DO know where they have been!

bombayteddy
    Participant

I usually remove my shoes during a long-haul or red-eye flight…and the socks too because they tend to get sweaty (in our climate) which can make you catch a chill in the COLD airconditioning! However, I immediately put-on the soft slippers/socks offered…and change into a fresh pair of socks before disembarking. If the flight is too short, I dont bother going through this rigmarole 🙂
    As for general etiquette, dont get me started on how my fellow-countrymen behave!!

MartynSinclair
    Participant

One thing that get me in the air (not so often) but also on the ground are guests/passengers handling/taking food without forks. Why on earth do BA allow passengers to handle the bread, why do cabin crew not serve the bread…

K1ngston
    Participant

+1 MartynSinclair as well as loud drunks who cannot hold their liquor be they on planes or not 🙂

AnthonyDunn
    Participant

@ Gin&Tonic – 10/06/2015 06:04 BST

I recall my first trip to Honkers way back in the 80s and being bemused at the signs on the MTR baldly stating “No hawking, spitting or suckling pig!” It didn’t take that long for the penny to drop.

PerthWA
    Participant

Women who douse themselves in heavy musky perfume for any flight!

Personal pet hatred. Especially if seated within 30 rows of me! (But then same can be said for being made to trot through snaking duty free counters wafting hideous ‘perfumes’).

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Nice one Steve. Made me laugh.

Perth. +1
    Just as bad are men who douse themselves in aftershave.
    Even worse, those who emerge from the Smoking rooms stinking of smoke and then have the seat next to you. And even worse, a combination of the two! Must stop, haven’t had breakfast yet and the thought is putting me off!

DavidGordon10
    Participant

Perth – +1 also. I am told that the stink is like a tart’s boudoir, but I don’t know what that would smell like – of course.

Also, I think good flight manners includes not interfering unnecessarily with someone else’s stowed hand luggage. Happened to me twice in the last couple of days, someone fiddling with my carefully stowed (minimal use of space, and care that they will not fall out) bags.

Poshgirl58
    Participant

Just returned from my first long-haul trip with VS (holiday), unfortunately it was in economy. Issue on return flight concerning the four central extra legroom seats and passengers using the extra space to cross between aisles. One passenger in this row asked cabin crew to make an announcement discouraging this, so that he and his companions could stretch out. After all, they had paid a premium for these seats. Announcement was made but not with the same enforcing tone as on the outbound flight.

As a result, an altercation ensued between this passenger and a guy across the aisle who wanted a shortcut to the toilet opposite. The “exchange” was of the usual high quality, with sign language. Cabin crew did not immediately intervene and the situation cooled. However a male cabin crew member did a discreet note of seat numbers, so no doubt it was included in the flight report. On landing I did not stay to see if the two passengers “kissed and made up”!

Finally, why do people on long-haul flights think it’s acceptable to dispense with personal hygiene. No excuse these days with 24/48 hour deodorants!

seasonedtraveller
    Participant

Last week, ORD to FRA with LH in First.

Passenger behind me immediately removed his shoes and socks & seemed to think it was ok to seat barefoot in the cabin.

This American ‘gentleman’ also took 2 phone calls during the safety briefing and quite unbelievable, he answered a 3rd call as we were on the take – off roll & was still talking at wheels up – the cabin crew said nothing!!

This same person didn’t wish to sleep & made no allowance for the rest of the cabin leaving all his lights on, banging the overhead bin several times and generally tap tap bloody tapping on his laptop.

MarcusGB
    Participant

Often if you have a quiet word with the crew they will speak to such people. I had this on a KLM flight late due to bad weather from LHR 2 weeks ago, everyone being in the same lost connections situation. However one woman blamed KLM, and created such a fuss, and also used her phone as we were taxiing. The KLM Purser got up and the woman claimed it was on flight mode, so The Purser too it and it was not. She asked the woman to politely not lie, and that if she broke the Regulations, she may be arrested at Schiphol!

I still dress smartly for Business and always First Class travel. Etihad especially, with Chauffeur cars and their superb services and new Studios for Business, and Apartments for First, I believe as in going to a good restaurant, in making the same effort.

It is often reflected to be with exceptional and very personal services, and a gift as i leave from the crew. I also introduce myself and ask for First name terms to be used, which makes all relax and more informal and mutually appreciated.

I also get singled out often for upgrades from Business to First. I dress smartly, but comfortably, nice shoes, Shirt, jacket, and something more comfortable or loungewear provided for long haul flights.

I find this works in Hotels too, but the time you walk through the door, you demeanour, and style, dress, courtesy and smile, means they have decided where you fit into their hotel, and often get upgrades and flexibility, Manners go a long way added to this in The Middle and Far East. They are considered high qualities in an individual, and whether travelling for business or leisure, you have reflected to you, the person you project out.

CathayLoyalist2
    Participant

MarcusGB, that old saying, “do unto others as you would have them do unto you” springs to mind. I have also found when having to deal as I have on a few occasions with an inconsiderate fellow passenger, the tone and the words you use make a huge difference and the other passenger response has been almost apologetic. I also agree that a word with the Purser or equivalent also works. The message on upgrades based on ‘dress code’ has been well documented plus a smile at check in works as well. I guess it is down to good old fashioned manners and courtesy

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 85 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls