Make flying etiquette a high priority

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 85 total)

• TS-Andy
    Participant

I usually dressed well especially when travelling in business class or first class.

When travelling economy, I don’t bother for the armrest. Letting my neighbour have it and i would not bother to recline my seat as much as I don’t like the seat in front of me to recline. But I really get offended if the seat in front of me does not retract to upright position when meals began.

My experience with upgrades were that it was only when they were scanning my boarding pass for boarding and involuntary upgrades if any would be known at that instance.

So dressing has not help in upgrades for me.

Has any one been upgraded after boarding and sitting in your original seat?

FDOS_UK
    Participant

Has any one been upgraded after boarding and sitting in your oringal seat?
    ++
    Yes, but perhaps not as you mean.

LHR to AMS on KLM, sitting in the aisle seat of an exit row, when two Dutch women arrive – one takes the middle seat and the other (quite forcefully) says I’m in her seat, whereupon I show her my BP and it matches the seat.

CC hears the exchange and arrives, looks at the two boarding passes for the same seat and Dutch woman complains strongly that she wants to sit with her friend. CC says she will move me.

Dutch woman looks triumphant until she realises I’ve been upgraded and then says she wouldn’t mind moving – frankly it wasn’t much of an upgrade, as KLM business was 3×3 at the time, but a bit more legroom.

pointyendpreferred
    Participant

I was booked in Premium on Qantas SYD to SIN.
    At the boarding gate the scanner rejected my boarding pass and the agent handed me a new boarding pass for Business, 16B – my favourite seat at the upper deck exit.

I had made myself comfortable in my new seat and was enjoying an orange juice when the gentleman occupying 16A arrived. We exchanged greetings and I continued reading my Kindle.

A few minutes later a flight attendant arrived and informed me that the gentleman’s wife had been upgraded but would prefer to sit next to her husband. Would I mind taking her seat in First Class?
    Of course I was happy to oblige a fellow passenger.

Another time I was on a LH flight. The flight was very light. I saw a ground staff lady walking down the aisle and she stopped beside me.
    I thought I was about to be upgraded.

She told me there was a loading problem and she needed me to move to another seat almost at the very back of the aircraft!
    I was very miffed thinking: “I’m not that overweight. I only weigh 75kg!”.

SimonS1
    Participant

Nothing wrong with dressing smartly but the idea that someone sees you striding through the hotel lobby and selects you for an upgrade made me chuckle. These days 9 out of 10 check in staff in airlines and hotels have no say in it at all – the decision is made a long time before you get there.

IanFromHKG
    Participant

“Has any one been upgraded after boarding and sitting in your oringal seat?”

Sort of – not me, but family. We were flying JNB-LHR on BA, I was in F (the only redemption seat available), Memsahib in business on paid ticket, Offspring in Premium Economy on another (separate) paid ticket. Although the Memsahib and I are married, she never took my surname – but the Offspring naturally do have my surname. The CSM or ISD or Purser or whoever it was came up to me with iPad and said he saw I was travelling with my family. Feeling a tad embarrassed that I was lording it away up in F I said that yes, we hadn’t all been able to get tickets in the same cabin, and said that was why my children were in PE and the Memsahib in business. He had picked up on the former but not, of course, on the latter. He had been about to upgrade the Offspring into business but offered instead to upgrade the Memsahib to F. Naturally I consulted the Memsahib who thought that an F seat would be rather nice (the Offspring are accustomed to PE and we know they can sleep perfectly well), and so she was indeed upgraded. Very welcome treat.

canucklad
    Participant

Years ago I was upgraded on an Aer Lingus flight DUB-EDI after a boy’s weekend in Dublin.
    Why, because my ticket apparently flagged up two letters….UM !!

As a result my drunken hunger was helped by a welcoming hot meal. My mates, who at first were taking the *****, as I was led away to my new seat up front, suddenly realised I had won a bike !

Globalti
    Participant

Not flying but I have just endured a week in Addis with a Sudanese man, lovely chap but completely uncouth; every few minutes he would hawk and spit disgustingly out of the car window and then blast the inside of the car with violent uncontained sneezes. His Ethiopian colleague laid across the back seat of the car shivering with the fever he was suffering and I gargled all week with Corsodyl in a desperate attempt to fend off a sore throat. Disgusting.

Chutzpahflyer
    Participant

In the days when BA code-shared with US Airlines I flew LHR-PIT-DEN (Stapleton). Departed LHR in economy, arrived in first… my first seat had a broken recline, so I asked to be moved. The only available seat was in the last row, which was actually comfortable – 2-across seating, more room. Then I realised that I’d be among the last off the plane but had a tight connection, so I mentioned this to the FA. And yes – he moved me to a seat which meant I was among the first off!

MatthewBarrow
    Participant

Interesting reading, I travel mostly business class, occasionally First and occasionally economy (typically skiing), always for leisure and never on business.

On long haul, and particularly leisure flights, I tend to wear shorts and flip-flops, and the flip-flops only last until I’m onboard normally, especially if on a night-flight with a sleeper suit. Last time in First was end of May when I wore linen trousers, jacket and shoes, but then ditched the outfit for the sleeper suit and barefoot before take off.

All of that said, I’m a clean and hygienic person and I don’t smell, I’ve been offended before by people taking their shoes off and unleashing a toxic breeze, so to me, the smell would be much more of a concern than the sight!

AnthonyDunn
    Participant

Frock coat, waistcoat, winged collars, spats and monocle accompanied by my batman and being dropped off from the Silver Ghost into the Imperial Airways terminal… Just what are “flip-flops”?

Err, for one ghastly moment, I woke up thinking that I was Jacob Rees-Mogg.

DiamondDad68
    Participant

Steve Wright in the afternoon has the definitive guide to flight etiquette. A must listen for all.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p0437pww

2 users thanked author for this post.

canucklad
    Participant

Having just listened to the clip that DiamondDad posted, I’m beginning to wonder if it wasn’t AD or FDOS talking to Steve Wright.
    Very proper, and definitely port out and starboard home stuff.
    Yet it made sense to me and got me wondering if through my travels I’ve managed to climb the social class ladder.

Now where’s that glass of Pimms ;: )

Carajillo2Sugar
    Participant

If ever a face matched a voice, just take a look at the photo of the chap in that Steve Wright clip…..

FDOS_UK
    Participant

[quote quote=720104]Having just listened to the clip that DiamondDad posted, I’m beginning to wonder if it wasn’t AD or FDOS talking to Steve Wright.
    Very proper, and definitely port out and starboard home stuff.
    Yet it made sense to me and got me wondering if through my travels I’ve managed to climb the social class ladder.

Now where’s that glass of Pimms ;: )

[/quote]

Well you can b*gger off, Canucklad – that g!t on Steve Wright was William Hanson, a prime w****r if there ever was one.

I might not sound like Geoffrey Boycott, but I am no less of a proud Yorkshireman and etiquette is best practised by soft southern jessies.

2 users thanked author for this post.

AnthonyDunn
    Participant

Don’t turn right 21st July 2014 at 11:42

Interestingly, Qantas is the only airline that I am aware of that publishes a dress code for its lounges: no budgie smugglers or string vests… It’s truly amazing what people consider to be “appropriate attire” these days.

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 85 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls