Make flying etiquette a high priority

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 85 total)

• AnthonyDunn
    Participant

Back from behind the great Firewall of China… Indeed, I don’t recall being issued with any up front either which is why I’ve now got my own.

Personally, my principal bug-bears are those who make a complete slum of the lavatory – many were clearly never properly potty-trained when younger. Then there are those people who sneeze violently without any effort (in a particularly confined space) to cover their mouth. The end result of one such oral blast on a previous excursion to Asia was my spending an entire week in my hotel bedroom with a streaming nose, runny eyes and a raging temperature. Thanks a million pal!

Manners and a little consideration towards others make life generally bearable all round. Sadly, there are quite a few who have no understanding of this at all.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

I’m afraid I’m one of the no socks brigade. I wear loafers when flying long haul or my Birkenstocks. As for shorts, I usually wear long trousers when entering the plane then change at some point into shorts. I find it much more comfortable than the pj’s they give as the cabin is usually too warm and then I can’t sleep.

Oh, and short sleeved shirts are de rigeur – nice loose fitting ones which I sleep in. I then change into a fresh one before landing. Everything of course has been freshly laundered as have I!

On arrival if flying North I change back into longs, but if going south I stay in shorts which are almost like a uniform in South Africa. However I do not wear those very short shorts favoured by many of the Afrikaner men!

JohnHarper
    Participant

I often wear shorts when flying in summer, if I’m wearing them anyway I don’t see why I should change. I’ve turned up to meetings in Germany wearing them too and it’s not unusual for others to wear them along with an open neck shirt. For long haul I dress for comfort but will often change if I like the comfort wear provided. The one thing I do object to though is bare feet unless you are just changing.

The place that I have seen more bare flesh than anywhere else is the LH F cabin. Given the German attitude to nudity and their relative comfort with it I guess it’s not surprising though I was a little phased the first time I witnessed a man strip to his underpants, visit the lavatory and then take off his underpants before settling down to sleep – covered fortunately. Now I don’t even notice if it happens.

MrMichael
    Participant

Life’s rich tapestry.

canucklad
    Participant

Ahhha AD not if you fly Garuda,they’re crew are totally obsessed with keeping the toilets as fresh as a country meadow…..but you have indeed pointed out the most common lack of etiquette there is….some of the lavatories I’ve had to endure wouldn’t look out of place in a Kinshasa shanty town….reminds just how uncivilized air travel has become….

In some instances I’ve had to even refrain after a long flight from that very.basic of human hygienic values…brushing your teeth…truly minging.

CX…..Even before the Taipei crash I’ve always adhered to shoes on for the very reason you cited…

SwissExPat
    Participant

@ Eselle

I remember on a recent Y flight, the chap next to me hogged the arm rest {quite dogmatically} at the start of the 2hr flight. 20 mins in, he reached forward to get a magazine and I got my elbow on the rest and took control.

It was a sweet victory! {which I enjoyed for the next 1h 40mins}

jsn55
    Participant

Martyn, you are so right – if people’s parents don’t teach them how to behave, someone needs to. I once was run into by some deranged woman charging forward out of economy when we all leaped out of our seats on arrival … she was about a foot shorter than me and I just let her bounce off … everyone got a good laugh.

MarcusGB
    Participant

My KLM flight into LHR Ex AMS a few weeks ago, a few retiree Americans gave great groans due to delays as there were storms at LHR. (Most other airports do not slow down for the weather we came through actually, but LHR did!).

Then when we stopped at the gate he rudely shouted “Do you mind we have a plane to catch” trying to push past from row 7 behind on the 739. I just had to say equally as loudly, “well most of us do that why we are all flying into LHR, so you will have to wait with everyone else”!

It turns out he had chosen Delta ex LHR to return to the US, when the same flight went from Schiphol anyway.

Just a stupid thing to say when it is obvious by everyones behaviour, that we all wanted to rush, regardless of missing your connection or returning home.. Thirty minutes late did not warrent it anyway, and the crew would bring anyone forward if really needed for a very tight connection. Thinking you can push past everyone else and you are more important is pretty arrogant.

Happens more on short haul thank goodness…

SimonS1
    Participant

Interesting. Strange how people often blame this type of thing on youngsters and teens when in my experience it happens more often with retirees and more experienced travellers…

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Two French kids sitting behind me today kept kicking the back of my seat, not maliciously I think but jus they could not keep still. It was a CRJ700 and very annoying so I turned and asked them to stop, which they did for about 10 minutes!

seasonedtraveller
    Participant

Why do people sitting behind you insist of pulling themselves up from their seat by grabbing the headrest of the seat in front and, once they are upright, letting it go like a springboard so its bounces off the back of your head???

Poshgirl58
    Participant

seasoned traveller – and grabbing a handful of your hair at the same time!

Battle for the armrest is annoying especially when passenger in aisle seat also lays claim to the middle armrest. Waited until his toilet visit, changed places with partner who was by window. No further problems. It doesn’t just happen on flights, had similar experience with a younger man on a train. He decided to rest his elbow in my ribs, every time I asked him to move he did for about 20 seconds before resuming the same position. My final threat to involve the train manager did the trick.

Agree that it’s not just children/teens who are badly behaved, but sorry to say it’s a sign of the times. My worst child experience was two Greek children who were using the seats in front of us as mini trampolines.

pointyendpreferred
    Participant

I am ex-cabin crew and would never wear shorts on a flight.
    Somebody mentioned the danger of wearing flimsy shoes or flip-flops; shorts can also be a hazard if you need to evacuate down the slides.
    The friction that results as you go down the slides will without question give you friction burns down your legs. We used to practise going down the slides wearing our uniforms with overalls over them and were warned to keep our hands tucked in to avoid burns. The heat generated is surprising (going down the slides, not by the hands tucked in, although…).

Regarding the shoes and/or socks off issue. I have had to ask one passenger in business and one in first to put their shoes back on as it was making both pax and crew gag. Both pax were unaware and embarrassed and happy to comply. It is not an easy thing to do and some pax may become very unpleasant over it no matter how diplomatically they are asked. It is a very hard one for crew.
    I had one very rude and arrogant pax in first class who not only took his shoes and socks off but was sitting in the front row and then lay back with his feet on the bulkhead wall with his ugly feet on exhibition. He had a major fall from grace; not sure if he is out of gaol yet.

“You are not a first class passenger madam, you are a passenger with a first class ticket.”

IanFromHKG
    Participant

Pointyendpreferred: “You are not a first class passenger madam, you are a passenger with a first class ticket.”

Love it! I can definitely foresee me using that phrase 😛

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 85 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls