Make flying etiquette a high priority

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 85 total)

• LuganoPirate
    Participant

Great one pointyendpreferred. I can’t wait to use the phrase!

I’ve just flown Swiss from ZRH to JNB and did change into shorts to sleep and a very loose shirt I had made which is more comfortable than pj’s and a lot cooler. I’d never thought about friction burns but I think I’d prefer those to being burnt alive though I hope I never have to find out.

MrMichael
    Participant

Well for me it will be, ” I am a First Class passenger, I just don’t have a First Class ticket”

MartynSinclair
    Participant

or…

I am not really an economy class passenger, I just have an economy class ticket…. today !

SimonS1
    Participant

pointyendpreferred – thanks – embarassing moment as I started laughing on the train. Very good.

canucklad
    Participant

Pointyendpreferred …my thanks also….1st day back at work after a long weekend… needed a laugh : )

Nice link Martyn, and I have to confess to falling foul to 2 of the 17 rules on the list !

Tom Otley
    Keymaster

NYTimes: A Recipe for Air Rage

Why do some travelers squabble about overhead bin space? Or feud over an armrest? Why, when a passenger reclines his seat, does another respond with rage befitting the pages of “Lord of the Flies”?

http://nyti.ms/1qytUVD

DavidGordon10
    Participant

An interesting link, but no great new insights, I am afraid.

I remain fascinated by the way that seat back rage is always high on the list of flashpoints. I think it is a conflict of privileges: one passenger has bought a seat which includes in the price the “privilege” of being able to recline it; the other passenger (me) has bought a seat with, in the price, the “privilege” of enough nose-space to read a broadsheet newspaper. These privileges are mutually incompatible.

SenatorGold
    Participant

Two days ago I flew in business on Malaysia Airlines flight MH3 from LHR to Kuala Lumpur. The seating configuration is 2-2-2. I was seated in 12G one of the centre aisle seats exactly midway in the larger of the two business cabins. On three occasions passengers cut across from one aisle to the other by walking in front of me and the passenger seated next to me. Not one person said excuse me or thank you. On the fourth occasion which occurred whilst I was having breakfast I extended my legs and said to the next offender, “Excuse me Sir this is not a pathway”. I received an aggressive response in which he said “You’ve made your views well known. This is public transport”. This was accompanied by an extended threatening stare. The cabin manager observed I wasn’t happy and I expressed my discomfort to him at having my personal space invaded. He said he’d not come across this happening before. Public transport it may be but that doesn’t exclude respect for others and courtesy.

goldaviator
    Participant

I always take both my shoes and socks off when travelling long haul….how else would I get the First slippers on. Don’t they provide slippers in other cabins? 😉

jsn55
    Participant

Views from America … Esselle, the middle seat guy gets both armrests in coach, at least that’s the theory, thank God I haven’t been back there lately … Martyn & stevescoots, I too stand square in the aisle when we land, on a flight to Seattle a drunk lady came flying up out of coach and bounced right off me, twice … the photos of undress on airplanes I’ve seen on the internet are nightmare-making … while socks are good, you need something hard-soled on your feet to use the lav … don’t you? Frankly, I don’t think there’s any hope for humanity when it comes to manners. I’ve totally given up; much prefer to laugh when confronted by the more absurd people … not only on airplanes.

PeterCoultas
    Participant

goldaviator: they do sometimes in SQ
    hueyjudy: keep it up

K1ngston
    Participant

+1 SwissExPat I would have enjoyed that too 🙂 On a recent MAS flight between KUL and SIN there was a guy clearly from Mainland China that was snorting, now I dont mean the normal quick snort you get used to here in Asia I mean it was long and disgusting! He did it a couple of time and then I went up to him and told him loudly to embarrass him that I dont like listening to him making pig noises and if he wants to continue to do so in the lavatory!

He got up and pushed past me towards the back of the plane and when out of earshot I was applauded by my fellow passengers, I enjoyed my 25 seconds of fame…. I agree with others etiquette has gone out the window and on some of the ME3 travelling with them is actually not a pleasant experience not through any service they offer……

CathayLoyalist2
    Participant

As Edmund Burke, “the only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing”. Maybe a little over the top for the subject under discussing nonetheless if people are never made aware of their indiscretions they will never learn or consider stopping what it is that is not acceptable.

stevescoots
    Participant

I ignore most things from non Europeans as cultural differences, such as aforementioned snorting, littering or inability to form a queue as cultural differences. But where I know its not acceptable in their culture and if its annoying the crap out of me i will say something and do. Unfortunatly its my fellow so called western civilised bunch that are the worst offenders. they should know better!

last one that got my goat and I had to say something was an British a hole in a suit, waiting to board business class in Doha and he was bemoaning loudly the fact that they were letting a group of very old Gurkha veterans board first (this was a week after the Nepal earthquake) on the basis that they did not have wheelchairs, he then turned on families with small children as some had teenagers in their party. he wasnt even drunk just be an ass and i had to say something to him.

CathayLoyalist2
    Participant

During our time in HKG and on the one and only occasion the mother -in-law visited, we were on the MRT and a local was engaging in the usual pastime of local sniffing or as the SAS call it conjuring up a “grolly”. My mother-in-law who is a not a lady to be messed with after enduring this assault turned and said in a very withering voice “Do you Mind” accompanied by a glare that would have melted an iceberg. He clearly didn’t understand the words but the tone and glare was more than enough. This poor guy looked shell shocked and beat a rapid retreat down the train never to be seen again. Those other travelers in the vicinity who stayed seated moved closer to each other fearing a repeat performance. It was a sight to behold!

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 85 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls