Lufthansa Ditches First Class in A Third of Fleet

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 113 total)

• KSHaggag
    Participant

FormerlyDOS,

Go for it…AZ to Abu Dhabi is a great choice on it’s A330 ..now they have been granted a few more weeks of fresh air to inhale and keep flying …
    Even the older seats on AZ in it’s 777s were roomy and the cabin exuded a superb feeling of space .
    I know long ago the 747s of AZ used to have a food spread buffet on the upper deck in First Class…..they had done what others are today not doing ..not even the cash rich GCC based carriers .

SergeantMajor
    Participant

The Air Berlin cabin looks a tad ascetic to me.

FormerlyDoS
    Participant

At least it will be clean.

Swissdiver
    Participant

Thanks for the link, FDoS, but it is broken too. I think BT should review their URL policy and no more use ( and ) in them.
    Your review can be found on http://www.businesstraveller.com/discussion/forum/Air-Berlin
    Not considering AB as a long haul option any more…

FormerlyDoS
    Participant

I think you are wise, Swissdiver, I would only use them if no better alternative available.

Having said that, I have found AB to be very easy to deal with on the ground, had to cancel a ticket earlier this year and it was a very easy call.

AnthonyDunn
    Participant

@ millionsofmiles – 11/10/2013 21:56 GMT

Whereas “NOT BA!” is very clearly your religion. As was evidenced by your exaggerated and frankly juvenile comparison between a BA lounge and an African lavatory. I have experienced both and know, even with a 2/5 hygiene rating, where I would prefer to be. I should add that rather than just bleat about it, I have addressed the Galleries hygiene rating issue with the relevant BA manager and am awaiting a response. After her public comments at the commencement of the BaxterStorey contract, she has quite some explaining to do – to BA passengers and to her superiors.

But as you clearly don’t/refuse to fly on BA anymore, just why the animus and, further more, what is the relevance and currency of your observations?

Thankfully, there are sufficient BT posters who retain a sense of balance and who are not given to ridiculous hyperbole.

millionsofmiles
    Participant

@AnthonyDunn
    it is nice how loyal you are to BA, like a fan to his soccer club.

1. Hygiene comparison between African loo and BA lounges. In fact, these two have a lot in common:
    overaged food, mould, flies, encrusted dirt, dirty floors and so on.
    Just read the official reports (first and second inspection) maybe that might enlighten you.
    It is also nice that you have addressed it to the relevant BA manager (THAT makes me laugh). Hope it has more impact than the reports and all the customer complaints.

Oh, and I am happy I have kept my juvenile thinking, often helpful in business…give it a try?

Senator
    Participant

Dear all,

There are many a detail in this discussion I would like to comment on. However, I would like to share a true story that occurred today from (IMHO) Europe’s leading airline.

I have been a member of Miles & More since 2000, and a Senator since 2001. I have previously been SAS EuroBonus Gold and UAMP Premier Executive, all earned along with my BAEC Gold which I’ve had for the past two years. Occasionally, I have been provided complementary status matches by AF/KLM to Platinum, and by Continental OnePass to Gold before the merger. I have never however, felt more appreciated as a customer than today.

This summer I purchased for the first time in my life, a First Class ticket on sale. For the very reasonable amount of £2,500 I purchased a trip LHR-MUC-FRA.IAD-ATL-ORD-ZRH-LHR. I wanted to sample the LH First on the new B747-8i, the FCL in MUC, the FCT in FRA and come back to the Swiss A330-300. I have sampled First a few times on LH, LX, BA and AF through mileage redemptions, paid and comp upgrades, but it was my first “true” purchase.

My friend and I immensely enjoyed LH First experience, with some areas of improvements and arrived for our return leg on Swiss quite excited. ORD is one of two outstations where Swiss actually have a First/HON Lounge they operated themselves. The other is JFK which is in addition to their ZRH and GVA operations.

To my surprise and disappointment, the Fizz on offer was a piccolo bottle of cheap Spanish cava in the lounge. I had been looking forward to a glass of Champagne to close off a brilliant holiday. The rest of the experience was outstanding, and superior to the LH experience. Hence, I took the time to write Swiss Customer Care. I guess this was about 8pm on a weekday, and by 9am the next morning I had an excellent reply appreciating my suggestions for the lounge and taking the time to complement the crew for outstanding service. This by itself, an outstanding example of customer care.

What I received today, blew me away. Earlier this week, I received a Registered Letter to be collected at the local supermarket. Today, I decided to collect this and noticed it came from Switzerland. As I maintain dual residency, and I am in the middle of closing a business I suspected it was from some government body so it was with mixed feelings I went to collect it.

When I fetched the package, I looked at the customs declaration and it stated “Tea, value €1” and then I noticed the sender: Swiss International Airlines.

In this package was a personal letter from the VP of International Sales & Marketing, thanking me for buying my first First Class ticket on Swiss. It also contained a number to the Swiss First Class hotline, and a direct contact with direct email access, telephone number and full name if I had any feedback about my experience. The tea was a sample of the First Class offering.

My mouth dropped to my knees, I was flabbergasted. Unbelievable effort, and excellent example of CRM and feedback loop. Next time I spend money on First, I know where I am spending it.

KSHaggag
    Participant

Dear Senator,

Your blog is one of the BEST I have ever ever read so far ..firstly because it was very objective ..thanks for this …secondly because it was about my clear favorite carrier Swiss ( the daughter of my beloved defunct Swissair ) …I do admit that it is with great refinement and style that this airline is operating although we do miss the big grand old dame Swissair ….still…
    I feel every word of praise you have for Swiss and have the impression you are reading my mind ..
    By the way ,I sampled the Biz and Senator lounge of Swiss in ORD last month on my way to Zurich and felt a sense of elegance that this superb small zone exudes ..the food offered was very Swiss and tasty too ..I jut wished the lounge was larger .you feel you are in Switzerland as soon as you step in ..will be looking forward to sampling the JFK one too.
    Will send you my regards on Tuesday from the LH FCT in FRA that I last visited 5 years ago …
    Thank you again for such a lovely blog .
    All the best ,

FormerlyDoS
    Participant

KSHaggag – 12/10/2013 18:01 GMT

+1

Great review.

KSHaggag
    Participant

Thank you FormerlyDOS!

Kind of you .

Best regards

MartynSinclair
    Participant

Very nice to hear – how a simple and very small gesture by a Customer Services department, value Euro1, can go such a long way.

KSHaggag
    Participant

It is usually those little things that make all the difference in the world !!!
    I will be happy to share a quick story more or less similar that reflects how civilized Swiss is though it is not related to the topic of this thread in particular ..
    I was flying Zurich Boston on Swiss in Business Class and had prebooked my seat as usual.After take off ,the purser approached me discreetely asking me if I had any objection exchanging seats with a couple sitting in the middle seats and who would like to have a window arrangement …I told her I would gladly do if and only if you confirm to me that by the time we land in Boston there will still be daylight as I would love to have the view of the Harbor since that was my first time in Boston .she checked with the captain to make sure about this but came back to me stating that th captain confirms it will be after sunset so no view ..only then did I accept happily to give up my dear seat .
    One hour later ,the lovely purser came back to me to invite me to use a First Class seat upon landing in Boston should there be any view !!!!!!!I I was deeply touched !!!!…..how civilized !!!! I was left speechless !
    Upon serving the snack before landing ,she explained to me what was on the menu and asked me whether that was yo my liking !!!!!!!…….
    No comment ….!

FirstClassWannabe
    Participant

Senator, that price seems incredible? When did you get that and from where?

KSHaggag
    Participant

If I may answer on behalf ..it was a promo for Fcl launched by LH a few months ago and was accessible on lufthansa.com

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 113 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls