Lufthansa Ditches First Class in A Third of Fleet

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 113 total)

• SimonS1
    Participant

“SergeantMajor – 07/10/2013 13:21 GMT
    There is plenty new, as this announcement is far more drastic than the limited removal of F from a single aircraft type.”

As Alex rightly said it isn’t new.

It was reported on Bloomberg about 8 months ago that they would be removing first class from BOTH Airbus AND Boeing aircraft, also identified Canada as one of the destinations affected.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-02-21/lufthansa-cuts-to-shrink-first-class-fleet-below-british-airways.html

A simple supply and demand issue, especially if few people are actually paying full fares and the rest are on upgrades and FF points.

FormerlyDoS
    Participant

AnthonyDunn – 08/10/2013 11:42 GMT

I agree 100% with your post and the references you quote.

PlusFlyer
    Participant

Why isn’t Lufthansa offering a premium economy cabin? Surely it would make sense to have one when they no longer offer a First cabin?

Swissdiver
    Participant

LH First class is the only decent product Lufthansa is offering. So it is absolutely making sense for them to scrap it!
    The real problem of this airline is that Germans are no more blindingly buying LH. They now compare. Given the poor LH long haul products in business class (worse in Europe) and economy (individual screens is still not the norm), the airline is struggling. And the new business class seat will only partially help (see my report here: http://www.businesstraveller.com/discussion/topic/Lufthansa-B747-8-%28Config.-2%29-Business). Add to this the FRA nightmare and the Middle Eastern airlines being more and more present, LH future isn’t quite bright…

JohnHarper
    Participant

LH F is indeed an excellent product but given the size of the LH network there must be routes it was never really viable on. All they are doing is the sensible thing and reducing wasted, uneconomic capacity.

They have fallen behind particularly on routes to the east like all the European carriers and are now having to run very fast to try and catch up. Their home market has been slower in falling away as competition from Emirates et al has been restricted and for some reasons Germans are far more loyal to LH than for instance Brits are to BA.

That said the pleasure of a connection at MUC beats LHR or CDG any day of the week and is rivalled only be ZRH or AMS in terms of European hubs. Add to that generally excellent crews and food service and the rumours that shorthaul C will be upgraded once Germanwings takes over the point to point flying and they could once again be in a very strong position.

Cloud-9
    Participant

I wonder if this decisions linked to the recent (poor) decision that LH is planning to overbook F passengers?
    Perhaps LH think that by removing F, they can do a QR and claim that C class travel is *like* travelling in F.
    However, it is unlikely that the service or quality of the product will be as competitive as the passenger can expect from the middle east carriers.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

PlusFlyer
    Participant

Seems like they are very behind the curve on Premium Economy.

pdtraveller
    Participant

John Harper

LH F is indeed an excellent product but given the size of the LH network there must be routes it was never really viable on. All they are doing is the sensible thing and reducing wasted, uneconomic capacity.

Agree an excellent product and one of the best on the ground and in the air.

The removal of F on some routes make sense on so many levels and will allow them to continue to provide a truly excellent First product consistently where it is offered. They can now also focus on business where they have lagged for time.

By comparison BAs near universal provision of First, even where it makes no economic sense had resulted in there now being 3 types of First and none of them particularly good. This lack of commitment to the product has seen it fall from being the finest in the air to nothing more than what some carriers now provide in business class.

I know which product I prefer.

Swissdiver
    Participant

“BAs near universal provision of First,”
    Not quite. No First on many flights, notably to the US.

KSHaggag
    Participant

LH. Is offering the best F product in Europe alongside Swiss ..head and shoulders above the rest notably AF and oldish BA …if they reduce the capacity offered in F long haul that will make the product more selective and exclusive …having paid threefold ,I would not be happy seeing myself. Cramped in F …..

They are late on premium Eco ..yep..I hope they come up witnspmething better than AF and BA s…

Swissdiver
    Participant

KSHaggag,
    Excepted for their 1st class product, LH accostumed us to come late with a below average product, their latest business class being a vivid example. Don’t expect much from their coming premium eco…

FormerlyDoS
    Participant

Swissdiver

Have you used the latest LH C class seat?

Swissdiver
    Participant

FDoS,
    Yes. See my post dated 10/10/2013 07:48 GMT

KSHaggag
    Participant

Gentllemen,

I am just back from a LH flight from Frankfurt to Washington on the 747-8 …I chose it on purpose ..frankly I was not at all a fan of the older ,former LH biz class long haul product ..I was using Swiss ,Air France and Openskies as favorite products .happily the new LH product is a huge clear improvement on the former one ..no comparison ..my experience on the upper deck was very pleasant and LH managed to draw in my mind the image of a world class caring airline ,very much customer oriented …the seat comfort was good ,the food was superb and the crew overwhelmingly attentive and pleasant .
    I do agree that the upcoming KLM new World biz class on the 747-400 looks much more spacious but at least LH can now claim a better ranking. Among European carriers providing a decent biz class experience …in F ,LH is miles ahead of AF and BA ..in my eyes ,at least .

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 113 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls