LHR – HKG – I will never fly BA again

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 113 total)

• VectorOne
    Participant

My comments seem to have struck a nerve…

Nevereconomy – I’m not terribly sure what your sexual orientation has to do with my experience of flying CW but thank you for sharing that information about youself nonetheless. Being gay or straight is, I believe, totally irrelevant to the point at hand…whether that be the crew member or the passenger…the point I wish to make is that I do not consider double entendres to be an appropriate form of engagement from any gender, regardless of sexual orientation, in a customer service context…I consider it an over-projection of their personality and seeks to draw attention to themselves first and foremost. Did the comments upset me, no…but I don’t think such comments are classy which is what I would expect from BA (a premium, full service airline)regardless of which cabin I flew in. As I say this was my first CW experience…I’ll be making a further CW trip to BOS this week so let’s see how that goes…

Flying Chinaman….my point has never been about gay or straight cabin crew as I am hoping you see by now. You flatter me in your description but could we add “fat” to the list as well….Long may you travel with the female cabin crew fawning over you…they don’t know how lucky they are!!!

VintageKrug
    Participant

Personally, I actually prefer the non-Stepford approach taken by BA crew; it’s particularly good to see a little personality shining through in announcements, and I don’t think that this impacts professionalism when done in moderation.

One of my more memorable flying experiences was a BA steward demonstrating the lifejacket on a Concorde departure; his accompanying expressions while demonstrating “can be topped up by blowing here” and “use the whistle to attract attention” had everyone in guffaws.

It’s one of the reasons I like to fly on a British airline, and find BA crews level of personal engagement and interaction among the best (especially in F, where they can are generally very good at tailoring a familiar or formal approach according to the passenger), though of course it’s not to everyone’s taste.

DisgustedofSwieqi
    Participant

“Personally, I actually prefer the non-Stepford approach taken by BA crew; it’s particularly good to see a little personality shining through in announcements, and I don’t think that this impacts professionalism when done in moderation.”

I agree with that, but I guess it is a matter of how you define moderation, which is personal.

Certainly, talking about sticking broomsticks up yer bum, in a stressed, high pitched, screech, is not moderate to me.

But then again, a lot of people thought that it was funny, when a UK comedian suggested Katie Price needed a strong husband to protect her from being ravaged by her profoundly disabled child – it’s a personal judgment.

Fortunately, most BA crew are professional and have pleasant personalities, in my experience, which is why it is a surprise when you meet one who is not.

FlyingChinaman
    Participant

I personally would much prefer to have some colourful (pink in particular) FA on board to provide IFE (live and uncensored in-flight-entertainment) to while away the dreary long-haul flight hours we all endure so often. I know it may not be everybody’s taste but generally I found most people are warm to such gestures.

Only last New Year’s day I had a very charismatic Black tram driver in San Francisco cheerfully entertaning the passengers up and down market street and a month earlier had an equally colourful Italian waiter belting out opera aries in the Melbourne restaurant Tram.

Passengers not responding well to this type of “performance” could always elude the “scene” with a pair of noise-cancellation headphones playing their favourate music!

A nice week-end for all!

travelworld
    Participant

After having just flown from LHR to Addis Ababa in business on a BMI codeshare but Ethiopian operated 767, I raise a wry smile at the idea of not using an airline because they didn’t didn’t let you off the plane first. I suggest the original poster flies on Ethiopian and then decides…..

FlyingChinaman
    Participant

Travelworld: Fair or unfair most frequent travellers would only compare Like-for-Like and as BA is seen as a top tier carrier, it is being compared to as one and when the expectation is not met then there is the tendency for these dis-satisfied top flyers to threaten a boycott of their services.

Unfortunately Ethopian Airlines is not considered a top tier airline even within the Star Alliance group although it has been accepted as a new member soon because it will help to serve one of the 3 hubs in Africa.

I know what you mean for standards as I was already flown with Ethopian Airlines often during my teen in Addis Ababa!

May be it is a good idea that Bullfrog should try out some of these emerging airlines as he might learn to love BA as the World’s most favourate airlines!!!

DarrylW
    Participant

Referring to travelworld’s comment – I understand where you are coming from, however, I don’t think you can compared BA with Ethiopian. BA is in an entirely different league having previously won the Airline of the Year on Skytrax. Obviously we all would like any airline we fly with would get us from A to B safely. If one should choose to fly with an airlline with lesser reputation, it is entirely their choice. Same as me, choosing a budget airline and therefore expect less, besides safety, of course, as compared with any good/reputable flagship airline.
    My understanding on bizleader’s original comment was about BA not delivering a certain level of their service. As an air passenger, regardless of what class you are flying, I think something like order of disembarkation should be dealt with by the crew and not the passenger. Can you imagine if there was no order, or 300 passengers rushing to disembark from one door?
    And for those lucky passengers who fly on First and defend BA’s on-board service, I may be wrong, but I think there is a significant difference between First and Club. Unfortunately, my previous experiences on Club was not satisfactory. And it this case, I suspect bizleader would have been a Club passenger as this section is located next to economy.

rickasia
    Participant

I totally agree with bizleader about BA staff damn rude and I guess bad educate from BA training if this it exsist…

I flought from BLQ to Gatwick in business seat second row on Jan 03 and when my and my companion asked for a blanket we got with hairs and bad smell, coming back on Jan 7 in business seat same dirty blanket and the crew simply jumped us in the order to deliver the food, I mean we was seat in second raw and after she served the first she jamped to the third and only finally she came to us and she apologized many food was ended.
    I fly often from HKG to LHR in business and list time I mentioned to the crew ( a joker guy totally kidding me, and looks my way is really low profile, I’m not someone full of my self or traveling wearing suit etc etc…) my screen was moving back and forth and he told me that because we was taking off, well when you can not stop the LCD display in any position is not because the take off !!! on coming back from LHR to HKG my seat was not able to reach the full flat position so I kindly invite the crew to help me to find a solution (but all business seat was full) so I suggested move me in 1st, he fully smiled me in my face and reply me the first was fully booked too, I waited some times and I cheked my self in 1st and there was 3 seat free, so I called again the crew and he told me to keep quite and don’t walk any more in the 1st. I’ve complained with BA and they jast gift me 15.000 miles but I believe the style of that crew had never changed.

FlyingChinaman
    Participant

Wait till Cathay refit their London run aircrafts with their new business seats and you will see a mass exodus!

rickasia
    Participant

Yes FlyungChunaman I already did my exodus using Turkish and LX.
    However also the old CX business seat and crew service was better than BA, since I’m European I can complain jast a bit with CX food, too much asia style but any way considering all around 360 the CX quality nothing to complain except the price, Turkis is better for price seat is like CX (but only from IST to HKG because HKG to IST is lieflat…)and food is amazing for European teste….
    However the best I try till now is ANA from Tokyo to New York, the new seat is the best one ever try (I’m 183 cm so I need space….) and cabin crew ubelievable the most kind and educate I ever find all around the world, those ladys should training all US cabin crew and BA + LH
    Have a safe trip

FlyingChinaman
    Participant

I agree if you have a very European palate then CX is a little Asian for your taste (I grew up partly in Europe and plus other 4 continents and I have global taste buds).

I travelled on TK and their new BIZ seats are from Jet Airways and very comfortable. Their recently introduced on-board chef does a good job and I love their soup! But Turkish style breakfast is not to my liking (I know Turkey very well and quite like their cooking).

LX is one of my favourate (been a fan of SR since I was a teenager) as I am used to Swiss cooking style food from my childhood. The Swiss and the Austrians have a tradition of looking after their travellers well and it reflects in their cabin service. And I also love being SOLO in their newer BIZ seats with no immediate fellow passenger next to me. More restful this way.

The Japanese have an eye for great details. Many airlines have seats long enough for your height even some of the American carriers can deliver the hard product.

Air China (began from the CAAC era) sends their cabin crew to Japan for in-flight training. Other regional Chinese airlines do the same.

Western crew generally are better for convesations (when they are in a good mood!) than the actual service rendering. Nobody is perfect I guess!

You do have many choices in term of price/quality nowadays but I prefer NON-STOP flights myself.

Happy travel.

bizleader
    Participant

Thanks for all the great feedback to the original post.

As an add-on I have also recently done PEK to LHR in Air China bus – well the hardware is good – brand new Airbus etc. that is where it ends, I mean what is the point of having a great AVOD system if you only put about 5 Western films on it ?

The food and service are pretty ropey but the most annoying thing was someone seated across the aisle from me whose lacky from economy class kept coming over and disturbing everyone with loud conversation – the first time I complained, the lackey was dispatched to the back – on the lackeys second appearance I dispatched both culprits to the back where they were never to be seen again…

One good piece of news for all recently though is that you can redeem Star Alliance partner one way flights through United Mileage Plus so I can fly Air China more often and enjoy the in-flight fellow local passengers even more 🙂

Have a good weekend.

rickasia
    Participant

Yes FlyingChinaman me too I prefere NON-STOP but if I fly to Italy I mast make a stop due my location is not nearest MXP or Fiumicino, I recommend you nevar fly trought these two airport since stolen baggage, workers strike, extremelly not honest taxi service in Rome.
    If I can recommend you stop in Frankfurt and after reach your destination in Italy via BLQ airport that is strategically locted north east Italy and with best and safely luggage delivery you can ever get. Afer from BLQ you can reach train station in 20 min taxi ride and get your high speed train 360 KM/H (Frecciarossa and Frecciaargento excellent 1st class available) and really on board restaurant available for 2nd and 1st class with really good Italian menu.
    Consider from BLQ train station you can now reach Milan Central railway station in 1 hour !! and Florence in 37 min or Rome in 2 hours and you have time to enjoy panorama, take your lunch or dinner and keep safely your luggage.
    Trust me never use Malpensa or Fiumicino
    About Swiss I agree with you but the J rate is too too much expensive for my personal opinion, I like travel in comfrot and good service but not waste my own money….

rickasia
    Participant

Hi bizleader I agree the probelm at the moment are the “local passenger” and local cabin crew. I travel often in local fly mainland China and I have to say Air China or China Eastern or Shenzhen Airline (now under property of Air China) local guest and local cabin crew they mast considerable grow up their own education and cabin crew has to stop to be scared by guest when they have to apply rules.
    I mean always you seat in business and guys from Economy come with baby to wal around making noisy and if you complain with cabin crew they jast say “SOLLY” to you but any mention to the “fellow visitor from economy” so I can’t think houw should be 12 hours fly in these condition, looks like cabin crew consider guest like a kind of God untouchable, like scared to apply common sense respect and rules.
    You was already lucky they dispatched your complain, to me never happened jast get back a lot of “SOLLY”. Ok get miles (I’m senator memeber in LH so I should get many on my intercontinental fly) but the idea to fly operated by “chinese” now is far to be settled in my mind….

FlyingChinaman
    Participant

Bonjour or Bonjorno from Paris/Parigi!

You are more critical of your main national gateway airports than I am!

I must have been very luck as I have never had problem with the actual MXP and FCO airport as such but I was once cheated by a taxi driver to from FCO to Trastevere some 15 years’ ago but I am now wiser.

Thank you for your advice to your area. MIght try it out next month from Roma or Frienze. FRA is not one of my favourate airports in Europe, to be trueful!

I love most things Italian including the regional cookings.

I am fond of train travels in Europe and especially when there is a fine dinning restaurant in 1st. Basta pasta!

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 113 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls