Is this the beginning of the end for the EU and the United Kingdom?

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 212 total)

• Swissdiver
    Participant

Best performance on the CAC40 today? Pernod Ricard SA! Drinking to forget… 🙂

alainboy56
    Participant

AnthonyDunn 24/06/2016
    I did clearly say in Bruxelles, not in UK. and if you disagree with me, may I ask who is the President of EU and did anyone vote for him? And who is the Commissioner for EU and did anyone vote him into that position? etc etc etc.
    I do apologize, for my error if we are the 3rd and not the 2nd biggest contributor, you do surprise me that the French are the 2nd, anyway its all their idea, this European dream, so they should pay more for it.
    However my argument is still valid.
    As for reading the Express or the DailyGetMuchWorse, I do not live in UK and have no desire to read such newspapers, I am married to a Finn, work for a Frenchman and with Italians, and also call home, Italy, so actually my views are not gained from those or any other newspapers, but from living and working with with Europeans on a daily basis.
    So may I say, that you are entitled to your views and me to mine.

MrMichael
    Participant

Curious that governments of a number of non EU countries have stated they have work to do to ensure a trade agreement with the UK.

I am nervous though, I think the UK has taken the right decision but it is not without risk. But I have said on this forum before, no organisation is successful without taking a risk or two.

I think the biggest cloud on the horizon is less economics but Northern Ireland, how that will develop worries me greatly and I hope and pray it does not end up with the violence we saw in the seventies and eighties.

WillieWelsh
    Participant

MrMichael – 24/06/2016 21:11 BST

It astounded me that throughout the campaigning the whole issue of Ireland and the border was ignored by both sides. It has to be potentially the most dangerous and fraught part of the situation in which the UK and as a result of the referendum the Irish republic find ourselves in. The Irish in no way asked for this and I admired the way their foreign minister dealt with questions about it on the news this afternoon.

I too hope that we do not see any resurgence of the violent past and all that could mean throughout the UK but of course the potential is there. The north of Ireland will need to be very carefully considered and I do wonder is free movement from within the EU worth what the costs might be particularly for the people living in the north who like us in Scotland voted to remain.

BigDog.
    Participant

AnthonyDunn – 24/06/2016 14:58 BST
    alainboy56 – 24/06/2016 14:05 BST

2013 data (I guess with UK Plc performance exceeding France 2014,15 the difference would be even more marked nowadays)

….However, on a net basis, Britain was the second largest contributor to the EU budget last year. It put €10.8bn more into the EU pot last year than it took out. Only Germany paid more on a net basis…

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/financialcrisis/11221427/EU-budget-what-you-need-to-know.html

Further, there are over 1,000 elite bureaucrats (1 in 5) engaged by the EU, each earning in excess of the UK PM.
    Most of these unelected elite have earnt their spurs being failures in their own governments (eg Kinnocks and Junker) not just undemocratic but anti-democratic.

AnthonyDunn
    Participant

@ BigDog. – 24/06/2016 23:34 BST

Exactly the same principle in the UK: an “unelected elite” and as undemocratic/anti-democratic as in the EU. But this never made for such good shoulder-chipped grievance wielding copy from BoTox when he was the Torygraph’s Bwussels correspondent.

Oh, and speaking of which:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/10052646/Quitting-the-EU-wont-solve-our-problems-says-Boris-Johnson.html

TominScotland
    Participant

End of EU261, I presume in what remains of the Disunited Kingdom. Good thing? Bad thing?

openfly
    Participant

June 24th….Day 1 of EU2!
    The start of a new era.

Edski777
    Participant

Swissdiver, EU261 is in force in Switzerland because the Swiss government has decided to join the open EU market on air travel. So they had to accept the rules that came with it. Many people don’t seem to understand that that’s the way it works. You join an agreement, you play by the rules.
    Switzerland has negotiated about almost every single issue. Norway has accepted a package deal, more convenient and faster. Effectively they are now integrated in the EU economic policies, but have no seat at the table when anything is discussed and decided.
    Unfortunately politicians in the UK have not been that honest about the real consequences. After all the UK has somehow to earn around 40% of its income in the EU.
    Voters have been misled in a game to use the discontent of UK voters about failed politics on issues like housing prices, immigration, medical care, etc. in the UK to blame on external forces. History has unfortunately seen many examples of this blame shifting.
    I really wonder what happens when people find out in a few years time that the situation has not really improved.

The new leaders in Britain; B.S. Boris and the town drunk: Farage. A lot of hollow phrases and no solutions. Last Wednesday we had to get out of the EU right now and on Thursday “there should be no haste”!
    What? Do we want to make an about turn and stay in again?

WillieWelsh
    Participant

Edski777 – 25/06/2016 06:58 BST +1

Mrs W and I have talked long into last night about our potential future in the UK as it descends into recession and standards of everything fall.

Mrs W is German so fortunately we have a choice even if it means uprooting but in reality I can be based almost anywhere as long as an airport is reasonably close.

So on Monday we will start putting in place the things we need to do to move to Wurzburg to secure our future and that of our children. It’s not what we planned but we believe it offers us better prospects than remaining in what will become a back water.

openfly
    Participant

WW…. Germany out in 2 years?!

DavidGordon10
    Participant

Edski777 – 25/06/2016 06:58 BST +1

With one Scottish-born grandparent I am looking forward to collecting a Scottish EU passport before long. And moving there as well, of course – or maybe just living next to my office in France.

Swissdiver
    Participant

Reading the last comments, I am under the impression the main element is not dealt with. Brexit is about UK, yes, but it demonstrates also the failure of the political EU.
    The UK has now all the cards as they are the only one who can start the process. So it won’t be fast as Bruxelles is asking. I presume the UK government will first get what they want and only then send the letter…

SimonS1
    Participant

Plenty of fanciful speculation, however no-one knows what will happen.

Three months before the starting pistol is even fired and then 2 years of negotiations. My guess is there will still be open skies, and we will be part of it. Remember EC261 came about because airlines had become liars and cheats, and I can’t see the new UK throwing away all consumer protections just like that.

Otherwise good luck to all those making plans already. Knee jerk reactions really, but each to their own.

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 212 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls