iPad: What Do You Think?

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 92 total)

• Anonymous

VintageKrug
    Participant

Sounds interesting; think I’ll stick to my iPhone/MacBook Pro combo for now, but it looks like this is the next generation of browsing device.

He’s not a fan of NetBooks…”cheap laptops”. Not sure about the name though; does it cope well with incontinence?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/blog/2010/jan/27/apple-tablet-launch-live-coverage

Ozavanti
    Participant

For once i have to agree with you VK – the name really doesn’t set the world on fire. Much prefer iTablet

That being said i like it – would definitely get one provided that apple have fixed the problem of having no dynamic storage of files (like the iPhone) in the iPad.

One of the downsides of long distance traveling is that i would still want to take my Macbook, but given that all of the travel insurance company policies (in Australia) do not cover laptops in checked luggage then your stuck with taking two devices not one.

RoadKing
    Participant

From the first reviews I’ve read, there are a lot of limitations to it, leaving it more or less as a browser/ebook reader.

The classic Apple hype. It is amazing how much goodwill the press give to those they favour. History is full of examples.

I am sure the congregation will embrace it, walking around with their ipods, ipads, iphone and iwhatnot. 🙂

I’d rather go for Amazon Kindle.

flyingforce
    Participant

I think Apple is great but what I don’t like about this is that eventually you will have to buy the stand and the key board…. I can see how it is seductive – it looks fun and it looks great but i think slamming netbooks / notebooks is harsh – at least with these you have everything with you and can work /play on trains, planes etc. The ipad is a great toy but not much more than that.

ANDREWYOUNG1
    Participant

I personally think it’s great, if I didn’t have a MacBook Air I would buy one for sure, but looking at the tech-specs the iPad is only slightly lighter and thinner than the Air and that’s a full computer so I’ll stick with that and the iPhone for now. Having said that, Apple does have a way of making me part with my cash for things I don’t really need and with the keen pricing of the iPad I might give in once I see everyone around me with having fun with it.

SimonRowberry
    Participant

Agree with VK about the name – I thought it was going to be iSlate.

I’ve been using Macs since the days of the SE2/20 in the early 90s so I’m a big fan. Currently we have a MacPro, an iMac, a MacMini, two MacBookPros and 2 iPhones. They’re great for connectivity and for syncing data, and I had high hopes for the tablet, with a view to early acquisition.

However, I agree with others above – I’m not really sure what it’s underlying purpose is. It seems to me to be a cross between a big iPhone (minus the voice call ability) and a big iPod Touch.

I note from the US apple site that it’ll come out in a wi-fi version and a wi-fi/3G version. I just wonder, with the latter, how things will be arranged with 3G network operators. Will we be able to extend our current iPhone packages to include the iPad? Will we have to take out a further expensive communications package? What is the real point of having it 3G enabled? What does the iPad actually offer over and above the iPhone, except a bigger screen? etc, etc.

I love Apple and always have. Jobs is a genius. However, this product is a bit odd in terms of its target. Their product video is also over the top. I think to say it’ll revolutionise the way we live is going a bit far.

Sorry – I’m rambling a bit here. Suffice it to say that I don’t really know what it’s actually for and what value it adds to the user.

Simon

ANDREWYOUNG1
    Participant

Simon, re the 3G networks, from Jobs’ keynote yesterday he was saying that in the US, AT&T would be offering a $14.99/month 250MB download limited ‘contract’ or a $29.99/month unlimited ‘contract’ although you wouldn’t be tied to a contract length it would just renew month to month – similar to the dongle contracts you can get but as you’re paying for the hardware (the iPad) there’s no fixed term contract as there’s not capital to repay.

VintageKrug
    Participant

I understand they will be offering an iPad Maxi for extra heavy data flow days.

flyingforce
    Participant

What is the operating system? What is the battery life? I heard 10 hours but surely with all the flash technology this is unlikely? – is it easy to read the books on this type of screen? – ebook readers actually use technology with ink – not just a normal comp screens. I think this is Apple laughing at us all running out to get one. Give it another 10 months and it will release a much better version – but let the guinea pigs fork out for this so we can all benefit later.

SimonRowberry
    Participant

I agree with flyingforce about the battery life.

My iPhone 3GS gives me about 6 – 8 hours if I have data roaming and 3G active. If not, the best I get is around 12 – 14 hours, even when it’s just sitting in my pocket doing very little.

This makes me extremely sceptical about Apple’s claims for the iPad’s battery life.

The point made about the ability to create a file saving hierarchy is also well made. I have an iPhone app called Folders which helps a little, but even this is, frankly, next to useless.

Again, I ask the question – what added value will iPad actually give to the end user that (s)he doesn’t already get from, say, a MacBookPro Air and an iPhone?

I loved the point made by Andrew about Apple being good at making him part with money for things he doesn’t really need. They do with me, too, Andrew! I also usually buy hardware and then they release another model a few weeks later (viz the MacPro, the iMac and the MacBook Pro, all of which I bought in Dec 2008 – a month later they brought out new-spec models for all three!).

Regards,

Simon

SimonRowberry
    Participant

VK,

Nice one! Someone else has the same thoughts:

see more Epic Fails

(You may have to scroll down a couple of pages to see it!)

Simon

ANDREWYOUNG1
    Participant

Yep, apple are very good at selling the same thing in a slightly different incarnation to the same people multiple times, like how many different iPods did each of us have before the iPhone came out and even that I’ve had all three they’ve made.

Re the point about file storage, I have to say it is worth paying for MobileMe for that, the free iDisk app is excellent for you being able to open files that are stored on the remote apple server and once you’ve viewed them on the phone they stay on there for when you’re out of mobile range etc. I also understand that there will be cheap versions of apple’s iWork suite ($9.99 if my memory serves me right) for the iPad, available from the app store and these will basically mean you can view and edit and email documents right from the iPad.

SimonRowberry
    Participant

Andrew,

I agree – MobileMe is an essential tool if you’re using more than one device. iWork also sounds promising, although there are still some compatibility issues with Office applications. Some form of Office for Mac would make the iPad more attractive to me.

Intestingly, none of the Apple European websites even acknowledge the iPad announcement, only the US site. It’s a pity as I’d be fascinated to see the UK pricing structure for the iPad.

Simon

ANDREWYOUNG1
    Participant

Yes, MS Office for iPad would be good, that’s what I use on my Mac rather than iWork.

And yes, no publicity in Europe yet about iPad. I was estimating the base model of $499 would be maybe £299 but maybe a little optomistic taking into account VAT maybe more like £349. They aren’t even able to offer it for order in the US yet though as they haven’t got FCC certification for it, so it does say in small print on the apple website that it may in fact never be offered for sale!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 92 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls