iPad: What Do You Think?

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 92 total)

• SimonRowberry
    Participant

Oh well, at least the Verve were wrong when they said “The drugs don’t work” JC!

I did read somewhere that Orange didn’t use that particular strapline in Ulster…..

Oh sorry….being frivolous and HL doesn’t like that. Abject apologies.

Apparently we must always give constructive advice. So here’s some: If you are public speaking and get an unexpected laugh, make sure your flies are done up.

See you next week Jonathan and take care in the meantime. And remember, Jonathan, always back up your short-term memory into your long-term. I find a good night’s sleep help with this much more than peripherals. Look after yourself.

Simon

BABenji
    Participant

Thank you for the sentiment gentlemen.

Sleep well all.

excessbaggage
    Participant

Could this be the iPad killer?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-11416190

BABenji
    Participant

If it’s not compatible with swissdisk, I’m not interessted 😉

DavidRenton
    Participant

I bought an iPad a few months back, I think it’s great. Comes in handy on a mid-haul flight when the entertainment breaks, can pick up emails in wi-fi areas without having to boot the laptop, it’s got handy apps from VA, BA, and IC Hotels – I would say it’s my best purchase this year.

Looking into 2011 – I think the BlackBerry PlayBook could be a hit with some companies, and I believe they can be linked up to the BES to enforce policies. Pricing is still not confirmed, although I heard they were looking for a good market share and may launch them at a good price.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Having travelled extensively with my iPad I’m very happy with it and no longer take a laptop. However it does have many limitations. The addition of a USB port would be great, as would multi tasking.

While there are Programmes such as iBooks and Quick PDF that allow you to store attachments, when the article appears as a link, such as the latest BT guide to LCY, the is no way to save it to read later, such as on the plane when it would probably come in most handy.

There are fiddly workarounds, such as downloading to a computer, then emailing to oneself and opening into Quick, buts it’s a nuisance and means a trip to the business centre to accomplish.

Also, Apples refusal to allow Adobe Flash player work is a real hindrance and the biggest reason I know to dump the iPad.

I’m looking forward to seeing what the competition will come up with and will most probably get rid of the iPad in favour of one of them..

amiller
    Participant

I’m looking forward to seeing what the competition will come up with and will most probably get rid of the iPad in favour of one of them..

Hi LuganoPirate, I think your time has come. The limitations you have been describing seem to be very nasty. The samsung galaxy tab doesn’t have them. Okay I don’t own any of those devices, but a t-mobile G1 which can run flash and save PDFs(along with any other file type) I even saved the movie “Home” from youtube and watched it on the train. Okay the Tab is slightly smaller(7″) but that might be an advantage if you can slip it in your jacket? It can run flash has a front/backside camera and you can even telephone with it. Worth checking out, I think.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Thanks amiller. I have just seen the Galaxy in New York and it is very nice, though some of the reviews I read were not very flattering, especially regarding the graphics and screen size, but these will most likely be corrected in Ver 2.

I have the galaxy phone, and am very impressed with it, the only criticism I have is that it does not Sync seamlessly the way the iPad does and hence the same will apply to the new Galaxy.

I use the iPad as a substitute for a laptop when traveling so for me the slightly larger screen is more attractive, but I’m sure Samsung will address all this and then I’ll happily dump the iPad / iPhone.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

Hi – I have just picked up a Samsung Galaxy tablet, all 7 inches. Besides its size the functionality is very different.

1. reads direct from USB MS office docs

2. Additional memory capabilities

3. forward and back facing cameras

4. Flash capabilities

This months T3 mag has a comparison. I still rate the iPAD very highly but the Galaxy does squeeze ahead slughtly in terms of working with windows based software.

If anyone wants a full report, I will put one together over the next few weeks.

These tablet machines are going ot be the fastest tech growth in the ocming months. Make sure that you know what you want to use them for before buying in the belief that one fits all!

MartynSinclair
    Participant

Having been using both iPAD and Samsung Tablet for the past month or so, I have some interesting observations.
    1. I have a sim data card via T Mobile which I use in my main lap top, laptop. This sim card fits into the Samsung and connects just as easily, as appose to the iPAD which needs a special sim card, specific for the iPAD and cannot, as far as I am aware, be switched into a phone.

2. The biggest benefit for me is that I am able to copy “my documents” from my lap top or PC directly onto and SD card and then slot the SD card into the Samsung and without any fuss or additional programmes, view and amend all my client files. The iPAD achieves this by up and downloading via cloud (?) which is only as good as the internet connection.

3. For the first time I am able to attend client meetings with all paperwork in digital format on a viewing platform that fits into my jacket or trouser pocket. That amounts to over 20, 4 drawer filing cabinets with documents ranging from 1983 up to 2011. Truly amazing. What’s even more impressive is that clients more familiar with iPAD and its limitations are impressed with the tablet and its ease of viewing.

4. Battery power is good with the Samsung

5. I am yet to use the VPN connection, print facilities and Skype on the Samsung. I have been reading that there are some Skype issues on the Samsung.

6. The iPAD has a far better touch screen, far more responsive. The Samsung on many occasions the screen is not responding fast enough.

7. Boot up time on the iPAD is far better than the Samsung

8. I was watching a film on the Samsung, next to a passenger watching a film on his iPAD. There were more glances my way to his screen than his screen to my screen

9. There are far more apps on iPAD than Android.

So, IMHO which is the better Tablet? The answer has to be that the user should not choose until they know what their expectations are otherwise they could be disappointed. Both are great machines, but both have limitations.

What is going to be more interesting is the second generation tablets and how much faster processing speeds and increased memory are going to be achieved. The one to watch is the blackberry tablet. I also understand that Fujitsu are about to launch.

VintageKrug
    Participant

Word is that iPad2 will be out within the next three months!

MartynSinclair
    Participant

Will you elaborate further regarding any new features?

Tim2soza
    Participant

iPad – Ground breaking technology, leading to the death of the laptop.

BUT

It won’t play Flash movies. (So BBC iPlayer content can only be streamed not downloaded for offline viewing.) – This will become the Achilles heel as Android based devices have no problem with Adobe Flash.

AND

Prices for all tablets will fall fast in the next 18 months.

(Best wishes to the Apple CEO for a speedy recovery to full health.)

VintageKrug
    Participant

New features:

– Video Camera

– FaceTime

– Retina display (possibly smaller)

– Enhanced battery life

– Demerol holder for extended discussions about seat 60B

MartynSinclair
    Participant

– a delete button to vaporise freeloading celebrities, especially those occupying 60B

Is there any possibility of iPAD working with Flash and is the concept of being able to add USB connections still not on the cards?

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 92 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls