iPad: What Do You Think?

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 92 total)
  • Mark Prigg, Science and technology editor for the Evening Standard (and Business Traveller’s regular technology contributor), was at the launch of the iPad.

This is a link to his thoughts in yesterday’s Evening Standard.

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/markets/article-23798303-apple-ready-to-start-another-revolution-with-the-ipad.do

In the February issue of Business Traveller, Mark Prigg asks if there is still a place for the traditional mobile phone in the Smartphone market.

GlobalTravellerTom
    Participant

Firstly I must say I do admire most Apple products. I am about to purchase a new macbook pro and am very tempted by the iMac for the house. I also could not live without my iTouch.

That said the iPad is just an expensive digital photo frame. Apple fanboys are great at hyping up any product Apple release.

The iPhone for example is not a smartphone. It is a fashion must have, but not a smartphone. How can it be smart? It can only do one thing at a time. Even the new iPad lacks the multi function powers of even the most standard of current mobile devices.

The battery claims are laughable given the fact your meant to watch videos, listen to music and work on it. Then they claim it will be the best web browsing we have ever had. Yet it does not support Flash?

I do not doubt that tablets, slates, pad etc will be the way forward, but the fact is Apple have not invented something new. They have not delivered any new technology, infact they have turned out old technology (just like the iPhone) and the web has done the rest for them.

I read a comment on a blog which summed things up very well. ” To buy an iPad would prove you can put a price on stupidity”.

VintageKrug
    Participant

Hitler isn’t happy with the iPad, either:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lQnT0zp8Ya4

SimonRowberry
    Participant

VK

I think Adolph sums up my feelings about the iPad very well.

Simon

SimonRowberry
    Participant

Perhaps it might end up being the iSlate after all……

http://www.macuser.co.uk/news/275410/fujitsu-claims-rights-to-ipad-name.html

VintageKrug
    Participant

Israel has banned the importation of the iPad, so make sure you don’t take one with you or risk it being confiscated.

RoadKing
    Participant

Do you know why they banned it?

VintageKrug
    Participant

Allegedly overwhelming the mobile networks.

If you believe that etc….

Probably Intelligence related, but who knows exactly…..

SimonRowberry
    Participant

Hi all,

Having looked in depth at the iPad specification and read various reviews, it seems to me that as it lacks multi-tasking, it’s about as much practical use as a soluable lifeboat.

The new MacBook series looks very tasty, though.

Regards, Simon

HonestLogic
    Participant

using an iPad over unsecure airwaves is like inviting a thief to carry your diamonds… one option is trust your files to SwissDisk and you can use a webDAV app to sync your iPad, Blackberry or iPhone calendar… don’t rely totally on the iPad, a laptop, PC or MAC, in case it fails, gets lost or stolen… keep a copy of your files online and then you can travel worry free… travel with your files safe!

MartynSinclair
    Participant

I have posted a detailed blog on a keeping in touch whilst travelling subject.

My issue with online backups are:

1. What happens if you need access to a back up, file or folder and you dont have internet of 3g access.

2. There is no on line back up system that can cater for more than 2 – 3 gb of data within an acceptable time frame. I have been looking for an online back up solution to synch or copy my entire computer, all 32gb or so of data. I have been told that the systems being offered by Dell, INVU etc it would take a week of uninterputed data flow to copy for the first time.

3. Th eonly online back up we do is with out own servers. Our clients dont want 3rd party data banks holding their data, encrypeted or otherwise.

4. For school kids backing up homework ot adults backing up family history, online back ups admitadly are good, however, i wish i could find somebody to provie me wrong, but i simply do not believe that online back ups provide a secure and practical system to restore a computer in the event of a total hard drive failure.

HonestLogic
    Participant

Nothing you can say will change the fact the SwissDisk is an awesome secure online storage service

Anyone with common sense who’d like to sync their iPad or other mobile device files, calendar, etc on the fly can enjoy the security of a SwissDisk account

Who needs the approval of someone like you who wouldn’t know how to power up an iPad? Giving advice about a product you don’t own is very weak at best.

Potakas
    Participant

Now it’s free to take ipad with you to Israel.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

Honest Logic

How on earth do you back up an entire hard drive of data and programmes via an on line back up – unless of course you have plenty of time on your hands. I am not sure what industry or profeesion you work in and what geographical areas you operate in, but if you are reliant on an internet connection to enable you to access files on your computer, then you need a lesson on time manaement.

Our commercial view and IT policy is that a back up is exactly that, a back up of files, programmes and operating systems, so if the computer fails on one of your “critical missions” you can be up and running, not just with “a critical file” but with you whole compter inside 30 minutes. A back up of a file is no good if your entire computer is down.

As far as multiple decives are concerned, not sure how upto date you are, but generally one mobile (blackberry) + back up blackberry and one computer and one back up drive suffices. We dont need a plethorea of other devices. These are now produced of a size that one small briefcase will suffice.

Any sensible company does implement an IT policy and ours states that hardware needs to be fully approved and tested, just in case during a “critical mission” something fails. The SwissDisk is a very good idea for someone who needs back ups of pictures and home movies, or perhaps childrens homework – the sort of data that is important but not so important that professional systems are required and used.

Honestly, honest logic, 2010 is here to stay, (until 2011 of course, thats logical) do keep up with the times……………….

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 92 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls