How many BA aircraft now sport “New” First…

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 586 through 600 (of 658 total)

• AdrianHenryAsia
    Participant

The PJ’s are certainly smaller or I am putting on weight (perhaps I ate all the pies) 🙂

and lets not get started on children in First Becky – I think we have done that one to death! 🙂

Papillion53
    Participant

GordyUK – you could post them on Photobucket and link us in to the album, then we could see what you encountered.

It is really too bad the way some people treat furnishings that don’t belong to them. I used to despair when guests would put their feet up on coffee tables in hotel lounges – would they do that at home, in fact would they even have their shoes on in their living room at home? I would quite often ask them!

And the same on trains – these ignorant travellers putting their dirty feet up on the seat opposite.

I’m not really surprised at your fellow travellers’ behaviour but I think if I had been there they would most certainly have been at the receiving end of Mrs P’s infamous stare! They will of course, be exactly the same ones who would complain if something was damaged! Reminds me of the awful woman we had coming back from SYD all the way to LHR! Slamming, banging, huffing and puffing.

dutchyankee
    Participant

But would you not complain or let your feelings be known. If some idiot continually slammed their table, over head, or closet door (thinking 1A or 1K) I would most certainly, politely, let them know I did not appreciate their noise. Likewise, I hate it when CC do the run of the cabin slamming over head bins closed, or the dreaded cabinets near 1 A and 1C on the narrow body fleet. Horrible noise!

Papillion53
    Participant

Or snore Loyal_BA!

On one sector going out SIN to SYD, the DH was rumbling steadily behind me, and the guy in 2K started rumbling across the aisle. I was not in a position to slap either of them! 😉

But as we were getting off in SYD we were waiting for the door to open and started chatting and I thanked him as he had made me feel right at home – the DH snoring beside me and him snoring across the aisle was just like the dog snoring downstairs, so snoring in stereo – just like being at home! I did it all with a serious face and he was so embarrassed but I had already winked at his wife and she and I just looked at each other and burst out laughing! We had quite a chat with them and they were really nice people and even stranger, we saw them again a few weeks later, by pure coincidence in the CR at T5; us on our way home from OZ, them on their way to LA.

His first question to me ” you’re not going to LA are you?” No says me, “oh thank gawd for that” said he, “I can snore to my hearts content!” LOL!

rogernorwich
    Participant

BeckBoop I agree leave the kids out of this. The ones I REALLY want to poush out the door at 45,000 feet are the Snorers.
    You know the ones that boast Oh I have a few drinks popo a pill and never feel a thing till we arrive. Yes sure great fore them but stuff eveyone else!! R weeksago HK-Vanciuver I had to be moved from 1A to 4K. I didn’t say a word but the Cabin crew ushered me quietly away from what sounded like a pig pen in the sky especially as 2A had decided a bit of snoring stereo would be nice. Thank goodness for great staff on Cathay and my trusted BOSE headset.
    On BA lat year Jo’burty to LHR It was full and this 20 stone Boer got on his back after a few drunks and the inevitable pills. Result…no other seats available in First so the first tiime I have downgraded myself into Business. The BA Crew were badly trained to deal with this. I hadto threaten I would jump out over the DRC if they didn’t move me!! I think snorers should be banned from flying and that if they are allowed on the cabin staff shoulkd be trained to wake them up with an electronic cattle prod everytime they start disturbing other passengers. When I have paid 8k for a ticket I don’t want to be in a simulated flying farmyard!!

dutchyankee
    Participant

@rogernorwich, I guess you never have snored in your life. What a pleasure you must be to your wife/companion/significant other. Unfortunately, and speaking as a snorer here, there is little one can do to stop this. I use the strips, and do my utmost to avoid disturbing people, but I certainly think there are far more offensive behaviors, noises, and indeed smells to contend with on long haul flights than my snoring.

Papillion53
    Participant

rogernorwich @16:03

Welcome to my world! Snoring drives me nuts too, but can you honestly say hand on heart that you have never snored on an aircraft?

I had just fallen asleep on a short Jetstar hop in OZ and the DH woke me up – why? he claimed that I was snoring! When pushed he admitted that I was just starting to breathe a bit more deeply and he didn’t want me to be embarassed if I started snoring! He can speak! Honestly I was SO cross with him as I was really tired and just wanted a short nap. And how many times do I have to tell him that we all know that girls do not snore, we purr! 😉

It must be a difficult one for the CC to deal with – maybe one of our lovely CC posters will tell us?

Not that it makes any difference whether you’re flying in NF or OF of course! Just keeping a bit on topic! 🙂

~edited to add: DutchYankee – great minds and all that …. hahahaha!

GordyUK
    Participant

Sorry dutchyankee but as with the topic we shalt not re-do (babies), the needs of the other 11 are more important than your right to snore.

Warthogs should be woken up. And if that means every 10 minutes then so be it. I would be beyond mortified if I thought I made a noise like that and it’s as much the snorer’s “sod you” attitude as the snoring itself that is bad.

rogernorwich
    Participant

Sorry Dutch I am with Gordy. Trouble is most snorers just don’t seem to care they just toss a few drinks down there necks and get straight on their backs ande the syphonia begins!! They don’t even put themselves in the recovery position which would minimise the noise. And since as you suggest snorers know they snore then good manners would dictate some concern for the other people in the cabin. As a matter of interest I have never indulged in the S-heresy much to the delight of my wife and f I ever have the pleasure of travelling with you Dutch you can be sure I won’t be disturbing you . To keep strictly ‘on-topic’ perhaps Bose can design a new Silent Seat for the NEXT generation of seat upgrades! .

bacrew1
    Participant

As far as I’m aware.. I’ve had no “training” as to how to deal with snoring passengers… same as we haven’t had training do deal with reclined seats in peoples faces…. It’s all down to the individual and I guess a bit of human nature…. It’s a real toughie…. Myself and colleagues have had these scenarios many times before…. and numerous times you get no thanks whatsoever from the customer you’re assisting… and evil stares the rest of the flight from the person you did disturb!?!? so its a lose lose situation… and god forbid should the person write in an complain that I woke them up during their sleep!?! I dont think our managers would be happy about that..
    I’m not sure if it was down to “customer service” going to wake someone up who’s snoring.. and is disturbing another person (especially in F.. new or old 😉 a bit more down to concern and respect amongst fellow passengers…

KerryKentonClarke
    Participant

Although this thread has gone way ‘off topic’ now, I’ve been reading it with interest and thought I’d add to it 🙂

Quite a few years ago I was in Virgin Upper Class (before they had lie-flat, if indeed they have them now?) – the guy in the seat behind me must have had pretty long legs as he had managed to use MY armrest as his footrest … no shoes and noxious feet! Despite several glares over the back of my seat his feet remained in place, and I eventually asked one of the cabin crew to speak to him, pointing out that I didn’t pay all that money to suffer the smell of someone else’s dirty feet!

Commenting on bacrew1’s comment about reclining seats – that’s possibly the one and only thing that the likes of Ryanair have that appeals to me – non-reclining seats! On the thankfully rare occasions I’m subjected to economy, at 6’3″ I usually wedge my knees against the seat in front of me shortly after take-off – when the seat belt sign goes off is normally when someone will start ‘reclining’ and hopefully the fact that the seat back won’t move makes them think that it’s broken!!

AdrianHenryAsia
    Participant

Bringing this back on topic 🙂

BA have 52 operational 747’s with a further 3 stored in Victorville. 14 don’t have NF – depending on who you listen to they either will or won’t get NF. This gives you an overall chance of 73% of getting NF if you’re on a 747. This obviously ignores the debate on mid J/High J configuration – if the route Is always high J (which many are) then you should always get NF. This is generally my experience

BA have 37 777-200s at LHR and 9 at LGW making a total of 46. Of these 8 at LHR are 3 class config (so not first) and 6 at LGW are the same (so that totals 14). This gives a total number of 32 777-200s with First. Add the 6 777-300’s to this and it gives you a total of 38. Currently, 22 777-200’s have been converted in addition to the 6 777-300’s giving a total of 28 with NF. This gives you an overall chance of 74% of getting NF. This ignores that fact that some long routes are operated by G-YMMG – G–YMMP all of which have NF (so therefore should always get NF) and those routes operated by 777-300’s, which again should always get NF. The three aircraft at LGW with First all have NF now, although it should be noted that the airframes (G-VIIU, V, W) were the very first to be converted so are probably the most tired inside. From what I know, there are two at Cardiff at the moment getting refitted although progress does seem to have slowed down recently.

So all in all, a total of 90 airframes with first with 24 not done (of that 14 stated never to be done) , leaving 10 to do (with 2 in the Cardiff) and 66 with NF.

I would hope the remaining 10 (or 8) would be done in the next 4 months meaning hopefully we can draw a line under this thread by March next year! 🙂

MartynSinclair
    Participant

Loyal_BA – your comment regarding NF

“it should be noted that the airframes (G-VIIU, V, W) were the very first to be converted so are probably the most tired inside”

heavens knows how you would describe NCW considering that is far older……………..

🙂 🙂

Perhaps when the line isdrawn under NF, there can be some efforts regarding a New, New Club World

AdrianHenryAsia
    Participant

Judging by some of the ones I’ve seen recently (G-CIVD and G-CIVZ) – they were looking very worn already (saying that, nowhere near as bad as OF all accounts).

I think the point I was trying to make (just not very well) is that once again, Gatwick seems to get the cast off’s or is an afterthought! It can’t be a coincidence that they got the first three to be converted!

I look forward to the New New Club World thread! Perhaps we should start it now?

MartynSinclair
    Participant

if I new starting such a thread would make any difference I would start it yesterday….!

G-d I feel we sometimes talk like spoilt kids…….:) 🙂

Viewing 15 posts - 586 through 600 (of 658 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls