How many BA aircraft now sport “New” First…

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 601 through 615 (of 658 total)

• AdrianHenryAsia
    Participant

in the interests of being fair and balanced (and in light of my post a few days ago), I just wanted to share my experience in NF on BA11 on Thursday from LHR-SIN.

A most enjoyable and relaxing flight, the crew were on the ball, excellent service – couldn’t have been nicer. I was shown to my seat, CSD made a point of coming to say Hello, crew were attentive but not over the top, AVOD worked – when they get it right, they are great.

The flight however was marred by a passenger. There were only 6 of us in F so quite empty and he stormed on the plane last shouting and screaming about the “hovel” that is T3. He said check in was disgusting and its was like being in a 3rd world country and the lounge experience (in contrast to T5) was appalling. Whilst they are only the highlights, this went on for nearly 20 minutes before take off, so much so that a lady from the terminal was summoned to speak to him. Once that was of his chest, he then gave it chapter and verse to the CSD, then the cabin crew.

The manner and way in which he spoke to every member of BA staff was just shocking. I could see other around me were starting to get annoyed by his ranting, after all, we all had to share the cabin and listen to him vent . I was just about to get up and say something and I the CSD must have calmed him down somewhat. Whilst he wasn’t Premier, we did have a Concorde Room card, so can understand why BA would not want to upset him, however I was quite surprised at how much verbal abuse the staff were prepared to take (I know he wasn’t Prem and had a CC room card because the volume at which he spoke meant those back in T5 probably heard him!).

Hats off to the cabin crew for having to deal with idiots like him (probably) every single day of the week, however please don’t tar us all with the same brush!

I had a chat with CSD in the flight to say I thought his behaviour was uncalled for and she was too professional to say anything negative (her name was Sue, didn’t catch her surname!).

Anyway, nice to be able to write something positive about the high quality of BA service – now please BA work on making it consistent!

Papillion53
    Participant

Sounds just like the frightful woman we had to endure recently. I think the CC deserve a medal dealing with people like this, honestly it beggars belief. Maybe if he had truly been to a third world country, he would not have been quite so silly in his comparison!

Thanks for the review by the way – dare I ask what you had to eat? 😉 🙂

Tirana1
    Participant

Likewise, for the sake of balance, I should note that I flew yesterday to ORD and got NF (having searched in the garage for my ancient empower adapter and packed it expecting the OF antique in-seat power, this was a great example of sod’s law) and both crew and product were superb. It was a 777 with the Thales entertainment system – I thoroughly recommend the “BA TV” section which has some fascinating historic Imperial Airways/BOAC films. All in all, an excellent example of BA playing at the top of its game.

AdrianHenryAsia
    Participant

Quite!!

Food – was great. I had the Trout and Smoked Salmon starter (actually looked very professional on the plate for once!), then the salad with the Beetroot dressing, the Butternut Squash soup, followed by the beef (which was cooked medium and in the slightest bit dry). I skipped desert as was full and just opted for the a couple of chocolates and a cup of tea!. For wine, I had the Chablis which was excellent as per usual.

For breakfast (even thought its served at 4pm in the afternoon), I had the usual full english, which was nice. I always find the toast a bit disappointing although they do their best with the tools they have available.

AdrianHenryAsia
    Participant

Tirana1 – I do find that NF works much better on the 777 than the 747 due to the narrowing going into the nose. It does feel a bit cramped around row 3 and 4 whereas it doesn’t on the 777. I also steer clear of 1a and 1k now on the 747 because the seat is just that bit shorter when made out into a bed (i’m 6’3″ so every extra inch of sleep space counts!)

esselle
    Participant

Old First last night to CPT. In fact, CSD reckoned 14 years, so Very Old First.

CCR calm and comfy (but why do the staff insist on using the term “white champagne”? In all my years of fancy pants dining, I have never heard that expression anywhere else).

Service on board no better than ordinary, and whilst the wine list had moved up little (Puligny Montrachet replacing the recent Chablis), the food was shocking. Why serve a hot soufflé on a plane? Came out like a scone mixed with rubber. Duck breast very chewy. Breakfast would have been sent back had I been in a Little Chef.

My wife, who has not flown long haul on BA for a year much preferred her recent trip on QR in J.

Maybe we will be luckier, and get NF on the way home, but I think I may ask the hotel to do us a picnic.

Papillion53
    Participant

It still tickles me every time I have soup on board an aircraft – don’t know why, it just does! 🙂
    Butternut squash is delicious.

No pudding then???? Oh we’ll we still can’t solve the mystery of whether that delicious choccie fondant is still on the menu, or maybe you noticed if it was?

Papillion53
    Participant

Esselle – you’re not having much luck with BA – I’ve never heard that term “white champagne” either – but I do love your “fancy pants dining” phrase! LOL!

AdrianHenryAsia
    Participant

From memory it was a bread and butter pudding and there was also something else – definitely not chocolate fondant because not matter how full, I would have ordered it!

AdrianHenryAsia
    Participant

esselle – was it the twice baked cheese soufflé? It was also on my flight but didn’t like the look of it either!

KerryKentonClarke
    Participant

Concorde Room cardholder or not, cabin crew don’t deserve to put up with that sort of attitude – it’s not even as if it were their fault the T3 and the lounge weren’t up to his exacting standards! He should have been turfed off the aircraft IMHO! As others have said, the CC should be commended for dealing with people like that without losing their cool – I doubt I would be able to, and if I’d been a pax on that flight I’d almost certainly have said something.

It reminds of a story I heard years ago, possibly folk legend(!), about a check-in agent that was dealing with a rude, aggressive passenger. After he’d been checked in the next customer in line commented on how she put up with such attitude, to which she smiled sweetly and said “well he’s on his way to New York and his luggage is on its way to Singapore” (can’t remember the destinations, but you get the gist!)

esselle
    Participant

Loyal_BA

Twice baked, yes. Or perhaps thrice!

GordyUK
    Participant

Just for balance, my partner had the soufflé on OF from LHR-lax and said it was incredible. How can there be so much disparity between perfect and “scone mixed with rubber”. It’s not like there is an actual chef on board who can get it wrong..?

bacrew1
    Participant

Aww thanks for the nice comments…. its nice and refreshing to read something positive for a change…
    PS I enjoyed the soufflé 😉

esselle
    Participant

Back from CPT, and this time in NF. First time my wife has experienced the newer cabin, and she very much enjoyed it. We had a super crew, excellent food and very good wine. Only onboard let down was when the CSD came through the cabin to greet people, he stood in front of the seat, said “good evening Mr…..” then tapped the screen on his iPad to check the name before saying “…Smith”.

If BA delivered this overall package to their F pax all the time, you would never need to fly with another carrier.

CCR was, sadly, a different story. Breakfast sent back three times; cold, items missing, and to top it off, nobody in the kitchen capable of frying an egg.

The Cape, by the way, was at its absolute best; I have never seen so many whales in Walker Bay.

Viewing 15 posts - 601 through 615 (of 658 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls