How many BA aircraft now sport “New” First…

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 571 through 585 (of 658 total)

• AdrianHenryAsia
    Participant

Hi bacrew1 – The CSD was nowhere to be seen – stuck in J I think. I don’t feel the need to make a big scene on the aircraft, the damage was done and no matter of complaining on board would make either my experience any better or do anything to make up for it. Had the CSD made the effort to say hello (and generally most do), then I would have said the service was less than acceptable however to go out of my way, ask to speak them, have to stop them in their duties in other cabin, just looks like me making too much fuss. I will be however writing to BA on the matter.

It was legacy crew i think (judging by ages only!) – I actually don’t know.

In the last 2 weeks, I’ve done 4 long haul sectors (2 in J, 2 in F), 6 Club Europe sectors and 2 domestic sectors – which is a lot (even for me) and I have really noticed the disparity in service between crews – more so than usual. The prize however for most rudest, obnoxious and downright officious crew I have ever met goes to Kristen Moodie who was the purser on a NCL-LHR domestic sector – I made sure I got her name. If I could have got off the plane, I would have.

I don’t want to appear overly negative on BA – for every bad story I have, I have 3 or 4 good ones however, when you’re paying significant money to fly in F or J for that matter, they should all be great.

rogernorwich
    Participant

Bacrew1 thanks well next time I am in one of the old 747 F cabins I shall make sure I take some J clothes and a dustpan and brush!
    I awaait my first exoerience of the upgraded cabins with interest maybe as early as next week as I think I am gouing to Mexico City.
    Regarding walking through the 777 Cabins I am sure Willy walsh will fund some deportment classes for you!!
    Still best to be in 1A or 1K in a 747 as long as those old wardrobe doors don’t fling open again and wallop me!
    The compllaints about poor service in First are within my experience definitely similar Atlanta-LHR a few weeks ago…glad to.have given the CC to have a couple of days away and sorry to be a nuicance and all that. But generally CC are very nice and very helpful. I must say however that on BLQ-ILHR
    1315 last Friday 2nd in BA economy cabin crew member GARY was fantastic…so good that WW should have him cloned and all of BA’s service issues would be solved!!

GordyUK
    Participant

Well I arrived in LAX off BA 263 today and I make NO apology for saying that the aircraft was SHIT. A bus from T5 to C terminal and we passed many 747s all with NF and there was our old bucket at the end. Everything about the cabin was worn and tired. Lights didn’t work because the buttons has been pressed so often the spring had worn out so during turbulence mine went on an off like my own little night club. Carpets torn below the seats. It was a disgrace. Even the crew and CSM said to me that when they boarded their hearts sank. One passenger couldn’t work out how to get his table out and the stewardess stared at it for a whole before saying “we can’t remember, it’s ages since we’ve been on an old one”… Lol

Taking all of that into account, as many have said before me, the flight is all about your crew and this crew couldn’t have been more amazing. My cloud of gloom soon passed thanks to the helpfulness and cheery demeanour of them all.

Oddly though i heard one of the crew tell the passenger in 1a that when they get an “old first”, they have to work twice as hard to make the experience better for the pax. Awww

BusinessBoy
    Participant

Just checked out FT Dashboard and looks like BA278/279 High J has been cancelled, or is not running? Also looks like BA 268/269 and BA282/283 have been using NF consistently for the last 5 days….. Wow…

VintageKrug
    Participant

The crew really can make or break a flight.

I haven’t seen a really dilapidated cabin yet, but there must be a few out there; probably the aircraft which will be removed from service soon.

It’s good to see the increasing number of aircraft with the new cabin mean certain routes are almost certain to feature it.

lloydah
    Participant

So, whose fault is it that the NF cabin, well the last one I was in, looked tired, scratched, chipped round the edges? Are we as passengers treating it badly, the “I’m in F so I can do what I like, I paid for it.” syndrome or is that the goods are not up to scratch (no pun) in the first place? My flight last week in Y on a 320 was great. Service good, cabin clean and shiny. Surely no one is going to make such a poor investment in the quality of fittings if they want them to last as long as the F cabins seem to have to.

BeckyBoop
    Participant

Gordy, you should of taken pictures and then posted them online. Do that on your return flight if you have the same problem

bacrew1
    Participant

businessboy… the BA279/8 only operates during the summer schedule.

and for the recored everyone… I’m not really a fat knacker (well compared to a CX crew member :S).. I’m quite buff actually… I was being sarky…. I think you all believed me 🙁

BeckyBoop
    Participant

It is daft that LAX is not a guaranteed route, think of all those move stars and singers etc…

YellowBelly
    Participant

BeckyBoop. Agree. We flew LHR-LAX earlier this year using Avios, out was OF but food and service excellent. Return was NF but food average and service not as good (maybe because of a night flight?). On the outbound journey in OF paying passengers complained about the cabin and also the First sleep suit – apparently the new ones are smaller than before so one guy brought his old suit with him in his hand luggage.

dutchyankee
    Participant

@BB, I agree, one would expect BA to have their best product on such a route, but I would be very interested as to how many of the Celebs and Stars actually pay to be in F. I have been told by some BA crew that the vast majority of those celebs that fly commercially tend to pay Business, or shall I say their management pay Business, and then discuss with the airline’s rep’s to secure upgrades. Maybe BA ensures NF is on those routes with the highest percentage of actual paying F passengers and leaves OF where the competition’s product is poor, or like Seattle, where there is no nonstop competition at all.

GordyUK
    Participant

Becky, I did take a couple of pics. Am just cautious when doing this as one looks very guilty/odd taking pics of random bits of the cabin. Not sure where to post them though. I stopped short of taking the photo of the guy opposite me in 2k who decided to put his feet (with shoes) on the back of the shell of 1k.

Which brings me nicely onto the issue commented on a few posts ago about why things get like this. I don’t think I’m over critical when I say that on this flight the pax in First behaved like peasants. 1k slamming his tray in and out, constantly waking up the guy in 1a. Others being rude or blunt to the crew who were really doing a great job. Shoes/feet on furniture etc. and of course the obligatory shove out of the way to disembark because you’re “so important”

One thing I noticed as well with this crew. Aside from being great, for some reason more than 50% of the cabin all wanted their afternoon tea early, resulting in the stewardess who was meant to be on rest, called back early. Poor thing, all dishevelled, disorientated, spilled tea, burned pastries, forgot cakes, cutlery. I really felt for her, she was like the walking dead.. Bless

Papillion53
    Participant

bacrew1@10:53

Aaaaah – so you didn’t eat all the pies then????? Only kidding! Thank gawd you don’t get weighed to travel on BA!!!!

I thought the PJ’s were a bit smaller as well, the fit is much much better as the last lot used to be far too long in the leg.

BeckyBoop
    Participant

Gordy, post them!! dont feel ashamed then we can see how VK reacts ..lol 😉
    Also start a new thread about badly behaved passengers, but make sure you put out a caveat that it is not about children!

AdrianHenryAsia
    Participant

Hi Gordy, You are right – its awful when passengers behave like peasants.. Basic manners and courtesy extend both ways – even in the height of being annoyed, I can always keep a civil one in my head and remember basic things like please and thank you, plus respect the fact that I have to share the cabin with others – don’t get me started on those uncouth people who constantly burp and fart throughout the flight or have obviously never heard of a toothbrush or deodorant.

Viewing 15 posts - 571 through 585 (of 658 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls