Emirates crash lands at Dubai International

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 78 total)

• LuganoPirate
    Participant

Thankfully all evacuated safely but details still sketchy.

esselle
    Participant

LP
    +1

The pictures look like it’s on its belly, so great to hear, at this point, that all souls out safely.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

[quote quote=721102]LP
    +1

The pictures look like it’s on its belly, so great to hear, at this point, that all souls out safely.

[/quote]

It looks like a 380 Esselle? Can’t tell if it’s a total loss but if so I think it will be the first 380 to be totalled?

MartynSinclair
    Participant

Sky are still saying its a 777..

AMcWhirter
    Participant

Poshgirl58
    Participant

Aviation Herald saying it’s a 777

FDOS_UK
    Participant

It was a 777-300 performing EK521 from Trivundaranum.

How it came to be sliding down the runway, without gear, will come out in the wash – apparently it is pretty windy and there are dust storms (it was very hazy when I came home on Thursday, last week), so wind shear could be a suspect.

The main thing is that there appear to be no fatalities and well done EK crew for conducting an evacuation where everyone got off safely.

I ‘m flying the Dubai this Friday, will try to find out any relevant info and post on here.

The 777 has a good passenger survival record in this sort of accident (BA38, the SFO incident and now this one) – well done Boeing for building a tough airframe.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

Latest media statement from Emirates reports an eight hour network delay.

But because so many passengers flying to/from Dubai will be in transit there will be cases where the delays are far greater.

There are reports coming in that some Emirates flights, which have departed from overseas points for Dubai, are having to return to their departure point.

The two cases I have seen are flight EK54 (an A380) which departed Munich (for Dubai) but had to return to Munich. And EK377 (also an A380) which left Bangkok, only to return.

wowzimmer
    Participant

I’m not quite sure where Sky News have got this information but they have reported that the flight had a known problem with the landing gear. As it came into land the captain decided to abort the landing and attempt a go around. After the landing gear were retracted the plane failed to make altitude (possibly due to the wind shear) and belly flopped onto the runway.

Fantastic news to see that everyone escaped unharmed. A true miracle considering the images coming out of DXB of the crash.

Unfortunately it’s sad to see that some passengers may well have impeded the evacuation in order to take hand luggage and rolling suitcases.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

It will be interesting to learn the time line of the evacuation and how long after the evacuation, the fireball occurred…

Well done to the often forgotten heroes, the emergency services who must have acted speedily and efficiently…

esselle
    Participant

I don’t know how to post a link to it, but the Daily Mail leads with some rather suspect journalism on this…………

LuganoPirate
    Participant

[quote quote=721197]I don’t know how to post a link to it, but the Daily Mail leads with some rather suspect journalism on this…………

[/quote]

Here’s the link Esselle.
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3721366/Fire-Dubai-International-Airport-Emirates-Airline-passenger-jet-crash-lands.html
    I’m not sure how others shorten it so it’s a copy and paste.

Seems the hull is a total right off looking at the picture.

Poshgirl58
    Participant

Unfortunately, it is now being reported that a firefighter lost his life.

1 user thanked author for this post.

simeoncox
    Participant

“Unfortunately it’s sad to see that some passengers may well have impeded the evacuation in order to take hand luggage and rolling suitcases.”

Cabin stewards lock toilet doors before take off and landing. Would it not be reasonable to auto-lock overhead bins at the same time? After all, cameras and code pads were installed at cockpits on all aircrafts against intrusions.

1 user thanked author for this post.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 78 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls