Emirates crash lands at Dubai International

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 78 total)

• Gin&Tonic
    Participant

Simeon – there is a video on BBC news showing the majority of passengers collecting hand luggage and causing delay. Same happened on the BA that had an engine fire in Las Vegas, this is truly terrifying aspect of an emergency evacuation, and I hate to say it but the day will come when someone will lose a life due the actions of others.

4 users thanked author for this post.

stevescoots
    Participant

I have said it before but I fly with my Passport, Phone and a 1 credit card in my pocket so I can get out fast leaving bags and be in the bar sipping GnT and finding a hotel or flight home in the event of a walkaway crash. If people get in my way to get out because they are rooting through bins they will get knocked down and trampled

seasonedtraveller
    Participant

[quote quote=721580]Simeon – there is a video on BBC news showing the majority of passengers collecting hand luggage and causing delay. Same happened on the BA that had an engine fire in Las Vegas, this is truly terrifying aspect of an emergency evacuation, and I hate to say it but the day will come when someone will lose a life due the actions of others.

[/quote]

Sadly, this is very true and, in this case, some people were literally seconds from becoming a heap of ash.

Very scary to think that the idiotic & thoughtless actions of a few passengers could be a direct cause of the deaths of others.
    I think the law needs to come down heavily on those filmed grabbing luggage or those exiting with luggage.
    Disgraceful & beyond comtempt.

superchris
    Participant

and thats what I dont fly 10 abreast in Y airlines…

SimonS1
    Participant

[quote quote=721938]and thats what I dont fly 10 abreast in Y airlines…

[/quote]

I don’t follow, what is why you don’t fly 10 abreast in 777 Y.

Everyone got off intact, and I’m not sure there is a lower risk of people lugging off their hand luggage on 9 abreast (it wasn’t the case on BA2276).

SimonS1
    Participant

It is remarkable how Dubai International has got going again less than 24 hours after the incident.

Most flights departing with modest delays or in some cases on time. I can’t help thinking if it was Heathrow the H&S people would have the place in lockdown with marquees in the car park and it would look like a refugee station by now.

The queues for re-booking look a bit grim though.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

It would be interesting to see where the ‘luggers’ were sat. Whether passengers who sit in premium classes believe they have a right to lug cases out in the event of an emergency or whether it is passengers in economy. Either way, the airlines need to do something about it and the idea of the overheads automatically locking would be a simple and effective solution.

I recently bought a small Tumi clutch bag, which is always by my side and contains, passport, mobile, wallet, credit cards, computer back up disc, 1 of my trakdot units (and one religious good luck item). It is small enough to quickly push up my short/jacket. This means that there is NOTHING in my bags that is not replaceable.

wowzimmer
    Participant

SimonS1
    I get the impression you may not be a huge fan of Heathrow… But no, in a similar situation I’m confident Heathrow would be on single runway operations after a few hours – Just like DXB.

Of course, the knock on effects for thousands of travellers would be felt for days with significant delays and cancellations. But there is no way on this Earth that Heathrow would not utilise the usable runway to keep the money flowing.

MrMichael
    Participant

I like the idea of lockable bins, however given money & time and the inherent risks of adding more electronic devices to ageing aircraft, why not a simple key lock?. Cabin crew move down the aisle checking the bins anyway, take ten seconds to lock it too, then unlock them after reaching the gate, it would have the added bonus of keeping people in their seats until reaching the gate.

However, one floor in the plan is the floor! Many airlines now, BA and IB included, get people to put their hand luggage under the seat in front, I won’t, as it is required for my legs/feet and I refuse point blank. No way of locking that away.

1 user thanked author for this post.

MarcusGB
    Participant

Still seems unclear as to the cause as crew appeared now to know there was no landing gear down, as it appears?

Congratulations to the Pilots and Cabin Crew team, saviours of all the passengers, (who i have to say did not appear to act responsibly trying for luggage!)

Remarkable that the crew managed to get everyone off, ultimately this is where we need them most. Of concern would be the low cost Airlines with less staff on board and more passenger numbers, perhaps then these cramped seat configurations would be questioned, impairing exit with 50 more on the same aircraft, tighter seats, smaller aisle width!
    The aircraft appear burnt out, after the evacuation, and of course we shall know what caused this, and the explosion.

The Firefighter who lost his life gave it for the sake of others, and my thoughts are with his family, but his heroic efforts for others, ultimately a great sacrifice for his fellow man.

MrMichael
    Participant

+1 about the fireman. Stealing from another post and a point FDOS made…Emirates should name one of their aircraft after him, he did after all die trying to protect their crew and passengers.

SimonS1
    Participant

[quote quote=721996]I like the idea of lockable bins, however given money & time and the inherent risks of adding more electronic devices to ageing aircraft, why not a simple key lock?. Cabin crew move down the aisle checking the bins anyway, take ten seconds to lock it too, then unlock them after reaching the gate, it would have the added bonus of keeping people in their seats until reaching the gate.

However, one floor in the plan is the floor! Many airlines now, BA and IB included, get people to put their hand luggage under the seat in front, I won’t, as it is required for my legs/feet and I refuse point blank. No way of locking that away.

[/quote]

Two other flaws.

Firstly it wouldn’t keep people in their seats, because for every person like you there is someone like me who only carries a small laptop bag and it goes under the seat so I can use the tablet. And in any case good luck if you seriously think people would remain seated anyway.

Secondly with the pounding lockers take, filled to excess, it won’t be long before a lock breaks and the same people are complaining that bags, flights etc are delayed. With 30 minute turns now part of the model no airline CEO with half a brain would take that risk.

The answer in my view is to limit the amount of baggage brought on. Some of the rollaboards are far too big and I doubt would fit in the gauges if airlines bothered to police it.

DavidGordon10
    Participant

I would not be too hard on people trying to get their hand baggage in these circumstances. Of course they absolutely should not – but in such circumstances, there is often a cognitive disconnection, and people do the craziest things. (Believe me, I have seen plenty of people after all sorts of major traumatic events.) They may completely “know” that they should not reach for the bag, but they are acting almost automatically, and are not thinking rationally. The only people who will all do the right thing are those who are fully trained, and that means the flight crew.

That is why I would be completely against locked luggage bins. What would happen is that many passengers would waste even more time trying to work out why the bin would not open.

1. Agree, the most important step is to limit carry-on baggage much more strictly
    2. High marks to Boeing for creating such a tough airplane body
    3. Absolutely top marks to the crew, for being last off – the bravery of flight crew in such circumstances is almost always remarkable
    4. All honour to the fireman who died

1 user thanked author for this post.

Edski777
    Participant

The video that is shown of the situation on board after the crash shows the importance of scrapping the large items as carry on luggage. I would encourage the airtravel safety organizations to take drastic actions to re-introduce the free checked baggage allowance and restrict the use of rollaboard suitcases as handluggage. Also to enforce taking only 2 small items as a maximum on board.
    This enhances the safety and comfort of all passengers during a normal flight, but especially in case of an emergency.
    After all: what is an average of 20 minutes waiting for your suitcase after a flight on the total travel time?
    Safety is much more important. In case of an emergency people should be focussing on the evacuation, not on their belongings. After all: their reaction can be the difference between life and death.

FDOS_UK
    Participant

Edski777

You are right, of course, but the airlines have monetised luggage in their race to the bottom and will not let their greedy little pipnkies let go of such a revenue stream.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 78 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls