Emirates crash lands at Dubai International

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 78 total)

• FDOS_UK
    Participant

[quote quote=727280]There is really no need to carry luggage into the cabin, if airlines allow 1 piece of luggage to be checked in and restrict carry on to 1 piece – a size no larger than a briefcase which should accommodate everything that one needs on board!!

Whilst passengers carrying their luggage off during evacuation is a risk, the statement above is totally unrealistic when considering this site is called ‘Business Traveller’.

Qatar Airways misconnected my checked baggage and denied me use of it for 6.5 hours on the Saturday just gone – no fault of mine, the aircraft was an hour late ex Manchester and a comfortable connection made very tight.

As this was a weekend day, the impact was minimal, but had I been arriving on a working day, I would have had two pieces of hand luggage (one with a set of business clothes sufficient for that day and a computer case) with me, removing that risk.

Cashsuds does not appear to be a seasoned business traveller.

[/quote]

YellowBelly
    Participant

So back to actual topic of this discussion titled “Emirates crash lands at Dubai International”. Does anyone have more information on what happened to cause this crash?

mkcol74
    Participant

Not that I believe a great deal of what’s generally on the OMAAT blog, it’s an interesting theory here

Cashsuds
    Participant

FDOS_UK

On the contrare, I fly over a million km per year!!! Surely by now, no modern “work warrior” need to carry more than a laptop/ipad mobile phone to do their work on board, if needs be, plus Passport/Cedit cards. I have clothes stashed away at most of the large destinations I fly to, and if I ever need anything, there is nothing I cannot purchase at most destinations. Unless, of course, you are the fortunate few that need to prepare for expeditions into the “deep”.

FDOS_UK
    Participant

[quote quote=728991]FDOS_UK

On the contrare, I fly over a million km per year!!! Surely by now, no modern “work warrior” need to carry more than a laptop/ipad mobile phone to do their work on board, if needs be, plus Passport/Cedit cards. I have clothes stashed away at most of the large destinations I fly to, and if I ever need anything, there is nothing I cannot purchase at most destinations. Unless, of course, you are the fortunate few that need to prepare for expeditions into the “deep”.

[/quote]

You obviously do not understand travelling patterns outside your own.

Most people do not have clothes stashed away at destination, mainly becuase their destinations will vary and they are not in control of where they stay. Even though I have my own micro business, it is policy in my sector for the client to select and pay for the hotel, so I rarely stay more than once or twice a month in the same place.

You are also missing people who need to carry valuable or delicate equipment, e.g. professional photographers.

You obviously fly your million kms in a private jet, where you are denied any interaction with other travellers, thus inhibiting a sense of empathy for differeing situations.

FDOS_UK
    Participant

[quote quote=728582]Not that I believe a great deal of what’s generally on the OMAAT blog, it’s an interesting theory here

[/quote]

It’s a plausible explanation, although i’d wonder why they initiated the ‘go’ after the wheels touched, not before. All I can think of is a big bounce on touchdown.

On a big jet, a late go around may result in momentary contact of the gear as the engines spool up (and I believe this aircraft had 3 stage turbines, which are said to take a little longer than 2 stages to develop power), but if the TOGA (take off, go around) button is pressed before the wheels touch, the aircraft will then return to the sky rapidly, as the thrust builds up.

I’ve just been in Dubai for 4 days – no oen is talking about this, it seems to be locked down. I’m going back on Saturday, so it will be interesting to see if there is any further news.

mkcol74
    Participant

[quote quote=729121]

Not that I believe a great deal of what’s generally on the OMAAT blog, it’s an interesting theory here

I’ve just been in Dubai for 4 days – no oen is talking about this, it seems to be locked down. I’m going back on Saturday, so it will be interesting to see if there is any further news.

[/quote]

I agree that Emirates have said very little about this, and locally it’s as though it never happened. Say nothing & it will go away attitude?! They could have earned some goodwill by being more open about how they’re dealing with things.

SimonS1
    Participant

[quote quote=729167]

I agree that Emirates have said very little about this, and locally it’s as though it never happened. Say nothing & it will go away attitude?! They could have earned some goodwill by being more open about how they’re dealing with things.

[/quote]

There have been warnings in all the local media advising residents it’s against the law to publish pics and videos.

UAE residents warned against posting airline crash photos, videos on social media

ImissConcorde
    Participant

This chap will be able to move on with his life!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-37038144

seasonedtraveller
    Participant

[quote quote=729119]

FDOS_UK

You obviously do not understand travelling patterns outside your own.

Most people do not have clothes stashed away at destination, mainly becuase their destinations will vary and they are not in control of where they stay. Even though I have my own micro business, it is policy in my sector for the client to select and pay for the hotel, so I rarely stay more than once or twice a month in the same place.

You are also missing people who need to carry valuable or delicate equipment, e.g. professional photographers.

You obviously fly your million kms in a private jet, where you are denied any interaction with other travellers, thus inhibiting a sense of empathy for differeing situations.

[/quote]

Agreed FDOS

Take my situation for example. The past 3 years I have commuted from the UK to North America (USA/Canada/Mexico) 10-12 days there then back home for 8-9 days before returning.

Once there, I travel daily, from city to city, coast to coast taking at least 1 flight (sometimes 3 flight segments) per day.
    IF I check in my luggage (A 4 wheel roller with dimesions accepted on board by BA, AA, United etc) and it gets lost (which has of course happened) then the reality is that it never catches up with me.

The last time this happened, my bag was gone for 5 days and I ended up collecting it from ORD prior to my return flight – A process by the way, which took an extensive amount of phone calls and hours of wasted time on the phone with hopelessley disinterested / rude & unhelpful staff and an ever growing stress level which does my health no favours.
    I do not carry a roller on board because I really want to but because it’s become a necessity to do so.

alainboy56
    Participant

@imissconcorde

Yes what a ‘coincidence’!
    Do you really believe that??

PrakashMehta
    Participant

There is an update on an Indian news channel on the pilot’s version of the reason for the Emirates plane crash at Dubai airport. It has been attributed to wind shear.

Here is the link to the article:

http://www.ndtv.com/world-news/exclusive-emirates-pilots-list-the-seconds-before-dubai-crash-landing-1443021?pfrom=home-topstories

1 user thanked author for this post.

Edski777
    Participant

F_DOS, always a pleasure to disagree with you.

If there is a choice between the added risk of taking relatively bulky and heavy items into the cabin for your convenience and the safety of passengers I would opt for the last. And so should airlines as they are responsible for our safety on board.
    The fact that it may be inconvenient to spend some of the airlines’ money to extend ones wardrobe if a case is temporarely lost is second to my and other passengers safety. Call it selfish, but in case of my safety that’s what I am. And yes, I have been in this unfortunate situation a number of times. I do know from first hand experience what I am talking about.
    Rules on cabin baggage are set for a reason and should be enforced. Extreme limits, like 20 kg cabin baggage allowances, should be outlawed. Even a projectile of 7 kg can do quite some harm when it drops on somebody even from the height of a bin.
    The argument on professional equipment is a bit ludicrous. Professional equipment, like cameras, etc, should be professionally packaged in order to be transported in the hold. They would easily go over the allowed limits and would present a danger to the other passengers.

And on the issue of lost luggage: yes, airlines must improve their performance on this. Maybe time for a EU 261A on luggage?

wowzimmer
    Participant

And in other news Emirates has announced compensation payments available to the unfortunate passengers on this flight.
    Details here via the Emirates247.com website.

In summary:
    7,000 USD in total

Broken down as follows:
    1,570 USD for lost/damaged belongings (plus 430 USD over and above legal obligations)
    5,000 USD to cover ‘other expenses’

Plus a refund of the ticket cost.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

“Anything that you were unable to retrieve at the time of the evacuation of the aircraft…”

Quote from the above link from wowzimmer (about baggage compensation)..

Is this saying that you could have tried to retrieve bags??

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 78 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls