Duke & Duchess of Cambridge fly SQ

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 120 total)

• Binman62
    Participant

The queen has only ever flown on a carrier other than BA when the nation paying for the trip was not the UK. She flew Air NZ and had all the First class cabin reconfigured into a private suite. The same occurred when she flew Qantas. In both cases the carrier also carried commercial passengers in economy….

BA also reconfigure the aircraft and no one should be in any doubt that the aircraft is luxurious and very very comfortable. The reconfiguration includes beds, sitting areas and dining areas as well as seating for those traveling with her.

She does not travel as the PM did using the same seats as the rest of humanity. the toilet has a special seat cover and is for he exclusive use.

The is no requirement for a permanent VIP aircraft and the current system of using BA and reconfiguration is highly costs effective and efficient.

If Singapore was paying forte trip then flying SQ would be sensible however I think in this instance the decision would have been driven by the arrival time into SIN and the duties on arrival. If using BA they would have arrived late evening and a wasted day. SQ have a da time ex
    HR with morning arrival and the sense of this is now clear to see.

canucklad
    Participant

I will cheekily merge two threads here

What’s BA going to do with that concorde?

HBHLondon
    Participant

I agree with Binman. As Singapore is paying then they chose SQ because it is their national carrier but also because SQ offers a more convenient arrival–early morning and therefore HRHs could have a full day of work. No way a snub to BA which in my view, Suites apart, is bettee than SQ in service and food.

AdrianHenryAsia
    Participant

Its been reported in the press in Singapore that they actually flew on a private jet

MarcusUK
    Participant

So, if they are on a scheduled trip, carefully laid plans, full diary etc, could they have taken a discounted non flexible A or Z class ticket perhaps?
    You don’t need flexibility with the program they have, meeting PM’s, and will they collect the miles i wonder? The House should gain benefits like the rest of us, and tot up those miles!

I have great respect for them both and they do great justice to a modern representation for The Royal Family, and they are clearly being pushed forwards by The Queen with many recent high profile responsibilities…Charles seems to have been downgraded by comparison.

Frankly SQ are the best still, and it is great to see them operating as ordinary people, and not needing whole Aircraft. Good luck to them, and their refreshing attitude, they represent the Royal Family / UK with great dignity, and a modern modest flare.

Travellator
    Participant

In fairness they did try to use BA with Avios but guess what – no availability !

MartynSinclair
    Participant

A pair A380’s for the Royal Household – bravo, jolly good show.

Certainly create more interest than Airforce One…..

Tim2soza
    Participant

The host nation picks up the cost of flying the Royals engaged on official state visits. It is their choice which airline is used.

VintageKrug
    Participant

I think two A380s would b e over-egging it.

But a pair of A321s configured for longrange ops would be ideal.

BeckyBoop
    Participant

Martyn the A380 is just crazy. Then again I remember on another thread there was talk of some prince buying one!

Perhaps they can use a spare A318 with the LCYCW configuration. How many people on average in a Govt or Royal entourage?

In the case of Will and Kate, I can’t see the need for more than 4 people (1 guard each and an assistant for each). So using a private jet for that need would be a complete waste of tax payers money.

canucklad
    Participant

VK…I thought you might have had them flying about in a 2 seater spitfire………biggles style

VintageKrug
    Participant

It’s a shame you skimped on your education, Becky, or you’d have known to write “tax payers’ money”.

I do find it extraordinary that a PA can’t write proper English.

With only two A318s in constant use for the almost daily CWLCY service, there simply isn’t one to spare for such duties.

While you can’t see the need for more than four people, others with more insight are very much aware that the massive complexity of organising State visits on behalf of this country is not the same as “pottering down the shops” for the latest issue of “Bella”.

A Spitfire is just a silly suggestion – how would you serve the champers and caviar? 😉

Deleted_User
    Participant

I honestly didn’t realise Her Majesty always? flies scheduled. I just remember the Air NZ flight and a TV documentary where she is seen peering out the window of a BA aircraft somewhere in the ME (Oman?).

What about flights up to Balmoral?

Travellator
    Participant

I was on a long haul last year when an HRH was seated behind me in Club whilst certain pop stars were in F !

BigDog.
    Participant

BeckyBoop – methinks the guy is miffed as his GCSE Business studies didn’t go well (retake?) so he has a need to be condescending toward others.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 120 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls