Do we need two fora sections?

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 88 total)

• FormerlyDoS
    Participant

“Yes total openness in name. “

That would lose quite a few valuable posters, who are not allowed to post under their real names, due to employer’s policy.

Also, unless the forum is closed and joining/access carefully controlled, (a) there is no guarantee that the person claiming to be John Doe is actually John Doe and (b) it’s a golden opportunity for the identity thieves and others to work their evil.

I believe this forum should be closed. It obviously causes the BT team (and many posters) a lot of grief and why it lets the agony continue is beyond me.

Over the past year I have seen the same ‘story’ repeated ad nauseam. For me, it’s no longer a place to look for information.

Yes, I know my view will be controversial but I have finally realised that it had to be posted.

FormerlyDoS
    Participant

alexpo1

Edited in case I misunderstood Alex.

Alex, do you mean losed, as in shutdown or closed as in restricted access?

My post before your was ambiguous.

Hello FDoS

Like many other posters I love the forum, but in its present state I think it needs a serious makeover. I am not pointing the finger at anyone in particular as we all have the right to contribute.

I recently got some very good advice on my fear of airports, for which I am very grateful.

When you read of posters departing, you begin to wonder….

To be honest I don’t know what the solution is….using your real name is just not possible for various reasons.

To end on a lighter note, the forum will stay I’m sure. I don’t think my relationship with my partner would survive without daily bickering, and I think the same applies to the forum.

Please excuse the lack of coherence but it’s 4 am here.

Best wishes

NTarrant
    Participant

Papillion – please don’t leave, have enjoyed your posts and I know others have too.

Simon is right, there are some of us that don’t post as often and the reason being that some threads just degenerate into a slanging match.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

I too would hope you don’t leave Papillion. I was also hoping we could meet for a game of golf or at least a drink at Gleneagles if we come up in the summer? I am on twitter though!

Back to thread. You’re right DoS that there are two types of traveller here, leisure and business, as well as those who combine both. I think the leisure traveller can also give useful advice to the business traveller and vv. though I do think the forum could be better organised, something BT have been promising to do, but it seems their priorities lie elsewhere! What I find frustrating is when contributing to a thread, to find it dissappears. You’ve then got to do a search or just wait for it to pop up again. I believe sub-sections could cure this?

My travels to and from Europe combine a mixture of both. Though I’m semi retired I sit on the board of several educational institutions where there are deadlines to meet, meetings etc, though I often have the luxury of being able to arrive a few days early and explore at leisure. I also consult on several issues and am heavily involved in Conservation.

This year my travels will take me to Jordan, Egypt, Dubai, Singapore, Hong Kong, US, Uganda, Tanzania, Zimbabwe and Zambia to name a few. Some leisure, some business, some educational.

So where do I fit? Not always sure, but I enjoy what I do and hope I can give some useful advice to fellow travellers of whichever ilk!

FormerlyDoS
    Participant

LP

The more I think about it, the more it is a matter of organizing the data in way that makes it accessible to all and also, to borrow an idea from SimonS1 to have a ‘puffery’ section so that promotional stuff doesn’t clog the main forum and bump more interesting stuff.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

alexpo1 – agree 100%, but there again BT once intimated they would update the BT Forum. They benefit far more by this forum remaining open rather than closed. Its called advertising revenue and hits!

Papillion let me know next time you and the DH are in London. I will ask LP and FDoS around a circular table + anyone else who wants to join us.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

I look forward to it Martyn.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

I look forward to it Martyn.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

While its not perfect DoS, here an example of a fairly easy to follow site:

http://c4countdown.co.uk/

SimonRowberry
    Participant

Martyn,

Ditto.

I also agree with your comments at 13.33.

Regards,

Simon

DavidGordon10
    Participant

Why did I first start to read and contribute to this forum? Because I did not know what would happen to my Diamond Club gold card when BMI was taken over, and internet searching led me here, and to the information I needed.

What has it done for me since? Well, a lot of interesting information and chatter, and at least two money-saving or convenience-enhancing things: one being the LH business class ticket sale over the Christmas holiday, which I would not otherwise have known about (and which is getting me to Caracas at a much better price than I was expecting), and the other being the information on how to get my Flying Blue gold card.

So it is interesting and useful, but would benefit from being put in better order, and from better moderation.

VintageKrug
    Participant

It is a great shame Papillion53 has felt the need to leave the forum as a consequence of comments made to her by FormerlyDoS.

FormerlyDoS
    Participant

VK

Will you please have the courtesy to stay on topic?

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 88 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls