Do we need two fora sections?

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 88 total)

• canucklad
    Participant

CHILL FATORE 60% OFF CORPORATE PACKAGE !!!!!!!

You’ve just stolen 30 seconds of my life !!!!

1nfrequent
    Participant

I’ve got to agree with some of the other posters here in that I don’t think the split is this simple. I do some (not a lot) domestic flights for work but most of my business class long haul travel is leisure. I’m not sure I’d like the idea of being ghetoized in terms of only being able to participate in one sub-forum because I’ve learned a lot from the road warriors and I hope that I’ve equally provided some interesting information of my own based on my experiences.

As for the squabbling … I don’t really want to see anyone leave or be banned but there are some people here who – whether deliberately or inadvertently – can make this seem a hostile forum for the uninitiated. Some of the vendettas are more becoming of a fandom board than of a board frequented by educated professionals. When it’s all got too ridiculous for me I’ve simply gone to ground and not checked in but it’s not nice to feel that I have to do that.

Before we all start pointing fingers at each other, we can look at our own posts, objectively evaluate how they could be read and then change our behaviour accordingly. Not difficult and makes for a more pleasant environment.

1F

FormerlyDoS
    Participant

1F

“I’m not sure I’d like the idea of being ghetoized in terms of only being able to participate in one sub-forum because I’ve learned a lot from the road warriors and I hope that I’ve equally provided some interesting information of my own based on my experiences.”

I moved on from that thinking a little while ago and now believe it is more a matter of organizing things in a way that makes it easier for people to access the info that is relevant for them.

By the way, it was never my intention to ‘ghettoize’ the leisure segment, just to make information more accessible. Leisure travel is on the up and up and some of the journeys people do are quite exotic/complex and they could benefit from shared info, as do the road warriors, when looking for leisure info.

SimonRowberry
    Participant

FDOS

Done, as a courtesy. Courtesy is something that you might consider extending to other posters.

Simon

FormerlyDoS
    Participant

If you were courteous, you would not have breached the forum rules in the first place.

BT have been very clear in the past that naming individuals is totally unacceptable on here.

SimonRowberry
    Participant

You really are an unbelievably aggressive boor, aren’t you?

How do I know your name? I didn’t hunt you down or try to find out who you are, you contacted me, wholly unsolicited, telling me who you are, on my private email.

Why don’t you announce your departure again, with customary aplomb, and make this Forum a pleasanter place for everyone else?

Simon

BigDog.
    Participant

Having just finished another enjoyable and costly few hours with my website developer may I proffer a different angle.

[Relying solely on word of mouth as opposed to marketing I haven’t bothered with a website for my business, however it appears they are not solely as a route to market but also a vehicle for a prospective clients to check you out. In addition we are launching a new product so decided now is an opportune time for a web site.]

Clearly BT is in the marketing game and fora/forums play a huge role in driving business to the BT site. I understand that 2 crucial aspects of Google SEO and Rankings are the number of pages and the number of links. With a single forum I note these pages are usually further up the rankings when compared to (the much larger) flyertalk, pprune etc when searching on a subject. Could this be a reason to maintain a single forum – it is better for BT?

Sorry if the above is balderdash – websites are not something am proficient in.

FormerlyDoS
    Participant

Simon

I was going to let this comment pass, but it is not fair comment.

“How do I know your name? I didn’t hunt you down or try to find out who you are, you contacted me, wholly unsolicited, telling me who you are, on my private email.”

You signposted me to your email address on your profile and wrote words to the effect of ‘drop me a line’, that’s why I contacted you, as I explained in my email.

I know the real identities of several people on this forum, but would never reveal them as you did today, no matter how much they might offend or annoy me.

That was unbelievable.

SimonRowberry
    Participant

FDoS,

I also know the names of many, and equally have not nor would not reveal them. However, as far as I recall, none of them have, in response to a gentle ribbing, branded me as “childish” and a “hypocrite” as you did today. Therefore, I feel justified in calling you by your name, and only your first name – is your ego so big that you think that alone might be enough to identify you? (a rhetorical question, I fear). You had no right to insult me when I had not, at that point, insulted you at all.

As I said earlier, you are unduly aggressive with many posters. It is not needed.

I don’t expect you to agree or even yield slightly in your view. You never do. You are, of course, entirely right. As ever.

Simon

PS As I am prepared to yield when necessary, I will accept that your contact was not wholly unsolicited. However, my recollection was also that another poster who has met you suggested you contacted me as well.

FormerlyDoS
    Participant

“and only your first name – is your ego so big that you think that alone might be enough to identify you?”

You can feel whatever you want about my ego, but my island is small enough for someone to join up the dots easily.

I don’t know you, I could not label you as a hypocrite (and I do not.)

Edited

FormerlyDoS
    Participant

“PS As I am prepared to yield when necessary, I will accept that your contact was not wholly unsolicited. However, my recollection was also that another poster who has met you suggested you contacted me as well.”

Simon, thank you. I do appreciate that.

Please accept my apologies if I offended you, my posts were direct and blunt.

You do post some very useful information, e.g. the stuff about eastern Airlines a while ago.

Edited to add

Another poster did suggest I contact you, as well, that is true.

SimonRowberry
    Participant

FDoS

Well let’s call a truce then. And i’m sure we can make it last longer than a Polo Mint.

Regards, Simon

alwaysreadytofly
    Participant

If FDOS and SR have each others email addresses, can they use that channel to kiss and make up.

what a pathetic display on a travel forum…..

can this site / forum PLEASE BE FOR TRAVEL

SimonRowberry
    Participant

Agreed. But the problem is that this was started in public and therefore needs to be closed in public.

1nfrequent
    Participant

FDOS – ah, okay. My apologies – I hadn’t realised you’d moved on in the suggestion as I skipped some of the posts in the thread. Reordering sounds cool to me but I suspect BigDog’s correct in his post.

1F

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 88 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls