Do we need two fora sections?

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 88 total)

• Anonymous

FormerlyDoS
    Participant

Reflecting on recent activity, we seem to have two audiences

1 – the leisure set, who travel in premium cabins and are interested in how to get reasonable priced upgrades using miles etc and also good places to visit/stay

2 – the hard core road warriors, who spent 150 nights per year plus in hotels and are business/schedule driven

I’m in camp #2, but I acknowledge the validity of the leisure audience; however, they have quite different needs/perspectives.

Example 1 – someone wants to use FQTV miles to book leisure flights and they are happy to be flexible on dates, whereas a business traveller is not. This is the classic time/cost trade off.

Example 2 – a poster who was surprised that there was no business class availability, when booking last minute in the middle east, whereas frequent travellers to the region will be well aware of this and will have strategies to deal with it. Sharing such strategies could help people new to regions.

Is there a case for having a leisure oriented section of the forum, to cater for people whose needs may be different to the road warriors?

Papillion53
    Participant

FDoS

You forget that there are contributors to this forum who travel for leisure and have business traveller partners who belong to your proposed group number 2!

As you have referred to one of my recent comments regarding the lack of business travel in J on BA to CAI, I feel duty bound to reply. If the lack of availability in J to the Middle East had been highlighted on here by you or your so-called hard core band of FT road warriors, I may or may not have read it, and as it is the first time, in a long time, since the DH needed to travel to CAI, then it was a surprise to me.

Yes I agree sharing such strategies or information as I did on the other thread was for that exact purpose – to share knowledge. I am sure I would not be the only one to be surprised at the lack of J on BA at short notice on this route, and perhaps the fact that I highlighted it may have helped someone planning a trip in the future.

Sadly and usually when I post anything, you seem to take great pleasure in criticising, and mocking, rather than read it with the good and honest intention with which it is written. I have read some of your comments made to me, to my husband and I simply could not write here his response to you. I am taking his advice and retiring from this forum. So you’ve won FDoS, I wish you well.

Thank you to all other posters, of whom there are many, who have been so supportive of this Business Traveller’s wife, and thank you to those of you who have given me so much help and information over the past couple of years. It has been much appreciated.

Have a lovely weekend and my very best wishes to each and every one of you. 🙂

ImissConcorde
    Participant

papillion53 Sorry to read your comments. It would seem that the bullies have won again.

Bath_VIP
    Participant

Hi FDoS,

I don’t agree with your suggestion of two fora, mainly because I think your division is too crude. I think there are many segments on this forum based on the following characteristics.

1. Occasional / Frequent traveller
    2. Business / Leisure
    3. Expense Account / Own Money
    4. British based / Overseas based
    5. Plane / Train
    6. Long haul / Short haul

etc.

For myself, I am a combination of a premium leisure / cost conscious business traveller. Point 3 of the above is probably the most salient characteristic about me as nearly all my travel is funded by myself so I am probably least interested in threads that are essentially discussions between expense account travellers.

What I think we all have in common is that we want to maximise the value for money of our travelling experience and I think we can all learn from each other rather than splitting ourselves into segments.

Be_Nice
    Participant

Dear Papillion

I am so sad to read your post today. Overtime I have appreciated your posts, the humour and practical day to day sensibility, how nice it would have been to know you in business. Now I am not saying saying you would have been a push over, but fair, fun and knowledgable.

I would always say ignore the bully as they need attention to continue with their sad, pathetic behaviour. Perhaps just reply with, “thank you controller” or something equally benign. They then either stop or their posts appear ridiculous.

I have for a long time considered it strange that BT which considers itself a professional journal, that they tolerate or support the forum. The forum is open to all ages, not secured in anyway, certainly not professionally monitored, and is without regulation. From history it is very clear that any moderation undertaken is without consistency and favours some.

I believe that somewhere it has been posted clearly about behaviours without boundaries, one day I do believe someone will feel so strongly about a post they will take a screen shot before its deleted and then use.

I think Papillion I have read or posted that some posters have no real life apart from their job and the forum. We have families and friends so life is good. I never believe that posting how many nights away from home is an achievement, I just think how sad. When I am away, I try to get home ASAP as I know that is where my heart is. And despite my job I work away at a minimum.

Well this must be my longest post and no doubt critics will descend (don’t really care as I have a warm fulfilled life) and will probably just ignore.

Or BT will just delete the thread and it will be the usual battles here. But it should be remembered that more people read the forum and potentially discuss elsewhere, than those who post. And these may not be favourable discussions.

Marlene

Edit
    Why do grown men hide behind anonymous forums to be unkind, would they do the same to you face to face with your husband at your side?

Just a thought.

ImissConcorde
    Participant

Well said, Marlene. Thank you!
    Mark

Be_Nice
    Participant

Thank you Mark.

I always try to say what I mean or want to say, but recognise that you can still be a decent person in doing so. That is without insult, vile behaviour or hurt to others.

But if BT don’t pull the thread it will be interesting to see who does or more to the point doesn’t contribute.

Papillon has been a very decent poster and very caring also.

Best wishes

Marlene

Hello Papillion

There are no winners here. Whether we travel for business or leisure, we all have a common interest and your posts are very much valued.

Have a fabulous cruise and, if you feel like it, I look forward to reading the full low-down xx

On the subject of the Cairo flight, the ex-bmi A321s have only 9 seats in Club (correct me if I am wrong) and may explain the full cabin.

FormerlyDoS
    Participant

Papilion53

What a ridiculous over reaction to a post that was making a helpful suggestion to provide a focus area for people with leisure interests, so they could find interesting information in one place, without having to trawl all over the forum.

As you are well aware, I posted a strategy to find business class seats to Cairo for your husband on the LBA thread, advising that KLM/Air France offer lots of options from Aberdeen and these are available at substantially less than BA via London.

I also find it curious that you accuse others of bullying, when you posted a strong personal attack on a poster who asked for help and who was subsequently awarded lawfully due compensation by the airline that delayed him for 12 hours.

” Papillion53 – 22/01/2013 12:32 GMT

My goodness this is a classic example of what I call the “I’m due compensation” society, despite the fact you got to your destination safely, albeit a bit late, AND despite the fact your original ticket on BA was not to this destination AND you’ve already been offered miles – I think you need to get a grip on this.

As HK Lady said, most of us would have been happy and relieved to have got there, so quit while you’re ahead, but I guess there are some who are never happy.

Classic example of the “how much compensation can I get” culture that we so sadly see so much of these days! :-(“

Be_Nice
    Participant

Thank you controller.

Papillion made her own non bullying comment. And one which many would possibly echo about compensation culture.

Perhaps the DH did not wish to travel on KLM/AF.

Also I got the impression that her post was not based on one post, but a history.

FormerlyDoS
    Participant

Bath_VIP

“What I think we all have in common is that we want to maximise the value for money of our travelling experience and I think we can all learn from each other rather than splitting ourselves into segments.”

Fair point. Perhaps a re-visiting of the fora structure would be helpful, it can be very difficult to find things at the moment.

For example, maybe there could be a new forum for ‘Maximising Miles’, despite having a few barnies with VK, I’d be the first to say that he has posted some very useful strategies and tips over the years, but these are very difficult to locate and he (understandably) is reluctant to spend hours re-posting the same data.

Likewise, maybe there could be a ‘Help me’ forum, where people could post requests, I will always share my knowledge and others seem willing to share theirs, so we could provide some pretty good advice between and it would be in one, easy to find, place.

FormerlyDoS
    Participant

“non bullying comment”

Words fail me.

FormerlyDoS
    Participant

“On the subject of the Cairo flight, the ex-bmi A321s have only 9 seats in Club (correct me if I am wrong) and may explain the full cabin.”

Alex, 23 to be precise.

But when compared with the 49 (plus 14 F) on a 777 or the 52 +14 on a lo J 747, obviously a major reduction in capacity.

Add that to anecdotal problems with the J class seats and that means all 23 may not be available.

Thanks for the correction FDoS. I don’t know where I got the 9 from!! I was recently on one of these aircraft but only passed through the CW cabin!

The last time I flew to Cairo with BA was on a 747, so as you say a major reduction in capacity.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 88 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls