Bored of Club World…

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 110 total)

• MartynSinclair
    Participant

clearing US immigration in Dublin and arriving stateside as a domestic must be a big plus for the Air Lingus service. Do you see this as an advantage to clear in Dublin or a hassle in that you have to stop in Dublin??

maxgeorge
    Participant

In my case, Dublin is handy as I fly EI out of Cardiff, which sure beats barrelling up the M4 to bedlam. The same would apply to someone flying out of Brum or any other UK city served by Aer Lingus.

Save those LHR taxes, too.

The calm and efficient clearance of US formalities in a dedicated lounge in Dublin, aided by the close availability of a glass of stout, is a bonus to all – but, of course, it’s not a direct UK-USA flight. And you have to switch to their JetBlue codeshare to get to the West Coast

Aer Lingus is competitive and comfortable, and their Airbusses much nicer than BA’s weary old 747’s, but I’d always agree with our Champagne Chum that BA’s Club World, on a good day, sets the standard.

WanderingSalesman
    Participant

As much as it pains me to say this as an Aussie, but ANZ have literally transformed themselves and would have to have one of the best J products in the sky. Everyone is raving about them and as a long time UA flyer, I would fly ANZ in a heart beat. You won’t be disappointed.

I would not fly AF if they were the last option available. Rather catch Air Uzbekistan or Aeroflot!

Ausline
    Participant

Sorry maxmcgeorge Alaska airlines is not a OW partner, QF and AA do code share on some of their services.

Wanderingsalesman, try QF the A380 kill’s the NZ J class product, pity that QF do not fly Lhr/Lax.

I would stick with BA 3x747s everyday Lhr/Lax, who wants to transit ORD/JFK/EWR/IAD etc!

EU_Flyer
    Participant

May I suggest Yangon Airways First Class.
    They have twice monthly connections out of East Middlesex Regional Airstrip and offer complimentary limousine transfers on a luxuriously appointed yak complete with padded stress absorbing saddle and personal chauffeur dressed in traditional Yangonese dress.
    The First Class Executive Lounge has now expanded to 2 sofas and a velvet upholstered tv reclining chair with cup holder and massage function (courtesy of the terminal vibrating every time a Yangoon Airlines Tupolev takes off).
    On board, pre take off drinks include a choice of unpasteurised yaks milk (usually sourced from the same yak that completed the airport transfer) or…. well there is rarely a choice.
    The Yangon Airlines flat bed experience leaves Club World to shame. A 1m X 1m luxury mattress stapled to the cabin floor offers the same massage function provided in the terminal, this time courtesy of 2 (but usually just 1) propellers that keep the aircraft (usually) just above 10000 feet. Whilst there is no IFE, sleep is guaranteed when the pilot ascends to 25,000 feet without pressurizing the cabin.
    The Arrivals Lounge is conveniently situated at the local hospital where complimentary resuscitation facilities are offered to passengers who are still unconscious after landing.
    All in all, a delightful alternative to BA VS UA (…only just) NZ AF LH and certainly comparable to Alitalia.
    I’d give it a go to LAX (or wherever it is they fly to).

Potakas
    Participant

lllllooolllll

VintageKrug
    Participant

Yangon Airlines is also highly rated by VintageKrug and the people at Skytrax.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Hi Alex,

Flying from E. Middlesex to Rangoon, I remember a recent flight with Yangon, a non Star Alliance member (I think they may be affiliated with AF but I’m sure more knowledgeable forum members can confirm this) who to their credit recognized my Star Alliance Status and upgraded me to First Premium Deluxe.

Perhaps you didn’t know this Alex, but it’s also available for a £ 4.99 surcharge on the F fare and for this you get to sleep where they keep the Yaks. Nice straw, usually clean but check nonetheless! The yaks tend to keep you warm as you overfly desert stretches at night but you can be disturbed when the crew come to milk them.

An oxygen bottle was handed out to make breathing easier at 25,000 ft. Though to be honest I don’t think we got that high as I could clearly hear the French then German farmers shouting at us as we overflew their farms. I don’t think it was words of encouragement but I could be wrong as the flapping door and wind noise made it hard to discern their words.

In flight entertainment was provided by dodging bullets as we flew over Taliban territory. Not helped by certain contributors offspring, who also happened to be on this flight dressed in mock army fatigues and shouting – Viva Bush, Viva Obama, Viva Thatcher!!!

Due to technical difficulties (in the shape of two North Korean Air Force planes) we were forced to land in Pyongyang. It seems the PSR (pigeon on string radar (when the string goes slack the pilot would know something was in the way and turn)) was a casualty of a Taliban bullet and without this homing device we strayed into N. Korean territory. But hey, that’s a mistake even Lufthansa could make if their radar went “Kaput”.

Anyway, we had a great welcoming committee turn out to greet us. At least a regiment of soldiers, and can you believe the jail I’m now sitting in even has wifi internet. Talk about progress in the most unlikely places!!!

PaulJennings
    Participant

Less famous airlines often have better service.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fx79n2Ey0lk

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Or if flying from Leeds, try Yorkshire Airlines!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6VLYpKGVBUg

MartynSinclair
    Participant

I just enjoyed a most comfortable and relaxing 7.50hours journey from MIA in CW, upper deck front row. Apart from the MIA lounge, everythng about the CW flight was nothing short of perfect. The crew (from which ever Union) were fabulous, the food delicious, the sleep long, the bags arrived quickly and the arrivals lounge I didnt want to leave. Well done BA, you still retain my business.

I did closely observe, check and discuss the seats with the cabin crew. The seats do not appear to be level flat, but rather curved, slightly, to account for the 3 degrees nose up. Virgin Upper is totally flat, like a board but you are then sleeping presumably 180 degrees flat, minus 3 degrees nose up.

Thanks BA for a wonderful product, a wonderful crew and a wonderful nights sleep.

ps – the new BA MIA lounge will reopen next August when the airline returns to its old terminal (confirmed by BA ticket desk MIA).

openfly
    Participant

Just been to CPT on BA in Club World downstairs…dreadful never again.

The WTP pax were in the cabin forward in this configuration and used the Club facilities…loos, raid-the-larder. The crew were in the CSDs office loudly chattering away. Passengers constantly coming forward through the curtain from economy to use the loo.
    Crew pushing trollies backwards and forwards from the back to the front and vice versa.
    Cape Town uses the jetty at door 2L which means that all the WTP passengers disembark before the Clubs, so that First can get off before us…who designed that!!??
    The 2 Club seats in the middle mean that you are sleeping within a few inches of the snoring passenger beside you…not natural….no divider.
    Generally the aircraft was knackered. The lockers all needed about three loud slams to close securely.
    The meal service ran out of steam after the main course…no tea or coffee offered, no second glass of wine with the meal, the fruit just disappeared…like the crew! They have also reduced the size of the meal plate even further…about 7 inches across…with little on it.
    Several passengers complained of broked IFE.
    The return was little better. This sector had a loud howling noise from the rear area of Club” from the air conditioning ……”its in our crew log we know about it”….if they know about it why wasnt it fixed.

Someone at BA head office has to take a serious look at all this. This is not Club World. It is poor quality economy in a larger seat on a derelict aircraft…with disinterested crew. All this costs a lot of money.

During the BA strike I was forced to use other European carriers and there is a much better and cheaper business class world out there.

Sadly BA is ignorant of this.

VintageKrug
    Participant

Looking forward to the return to the original BA MIA lounge; thanks for the update MartynSinclair.

EU_Flyer
    Participant

@ openfly

BOO HOO!

openfly
    Participant

Alexupgrade77 I am not sure what you mean by that.

Perhaps you could save your immature and childish comments for CeeBeebies or Blue Peter. I notice that it is not the first time.

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 110 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls