Bored of Club World…

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 110 total)

• Senator
    Participant

Hello,

Let me add a wild-card. Whilst I have not been on an aircraft with the new lie-flat seat on Continental my experience has always been excellent with really good F&B. From my experience, Continental is the best choice across the US market. Transferring domestically in the US is never optimal, but perhaps you want to give it a go.

My understanding is that all LHR flights to EWR and IAH now features the new 180 degree seat which looks nice from the pictures I have seen. I would choose IAH to shorten the connecting leg.

In my experience, OS and CO stand out in terms of business class F&B, the old B757-200 seat is ok for day flight, but not too good for night flights.

NTarrant
    Participant

Bedboys, as VK says the Club World seat is fully flat, but the AF one is not. It is impossible for it to be flat due to the foot well.

The seat itself is comfortable as a seat and on a day flight, say PAR-JFK it would be fine as you could get a snooze. But I would not want to do a night flight in it. Club World seat everytime at night

DoorsToManual
    Participant

Dear VintageK.

You have AMAZED me by even daring to mention a product/service not owned or promoted by British Airways, is it true that you could really be as impartial as The CarPhone Warehouse? Thank you and I’ll look into flying United.
    Thank you for all the replies, a lot of affection for Air New Zealand.
    The idea of connecting in America is something I hadn’t thought of and maybe that means I can sample Virgin America…any thoughts?

Potakas
    Participant

Virgin America has high quality product, they even offer mood lighting on economy class although it’s suppose to be a budget airline.

ScottWilson
    Participant

A simple roundup of options:

Direct (non BA)
    – Air NZ (best food, good service, seats as good as VS but better service, is 747 operated so you may get nose seating if lucky).
    – American (mediocre food and service, angled lie flat seats, definitely a step down from BA).
    – Virgin (you’ll probably know already, for me the only good thing is the LHR Clubhouse and Terminal 3 express lane, the rest is same hard product as NZ with everything else inferior).
    – United (almost certainly a cradle seat equipped 777. Service and food rather mediocre, unless you are lucky enough to get new seating, avoid).

There are fares that are one way United, return NZ which you may consider.

Indirect:
    – KLM (Schiphol is an ok transfer, KLM service good, hard product angled lie flat);
    – Delta (includes US domestic flight, avoid)
    – Air France (new angled lie flat, ok service and food, but inferior to BA)
    – Continental (includes US domestic flight, avoid)
    – Air Canada (range of hard product from narrow herringbone seats to angled lie flat, mediocre)
    – US Airways (fully lie flat, but US domestic flight and poor food, service)
    – Lufthansa (angled lie flat, reasonable food and service)
    – Swiss (angled lie flat on A340, good food and service).

Enjoy! Personally I’d avoid connecting in the US, because it delays your connection as you need to clear immigration, pick up bags, clear customs and check in again. Far better to connect in Europe, or go non-stop!

canadianflyer
    Participant

Hi DoorstoManual,

I would agree with the replies for NZ. My son and I have done a RTW with them and cannot fault them. Virgin has the advantage of limousine service, as does EK, who wil fly you there via DXB.380 possible. Going Eastbound, you have tail winds most of the time! Whatever, you choose, have a great flight away from BA, who may/may not strike AGAIN!!
    Flyingcanadian.

VintageKrug
    Participant

No strike ballot has even been called, and after yesterday’s poll result where over 75% of cabin crew failed to support their own union it is HIGHLY unlikely a further strike will occur.

In the very unlikely situation that a ballot is called and cabin crew do an about face and support strike action ALL BA longhaul will operate.

DerekCarter
    Participant

Hi DoorstoManual,

I would take ANZ in consideration also. Other airlines I have tried in the past to the US/Canada were AC, 9W, CO, TK..

I personally like the service attitude of the crew onboard, the seat is good though not the newer full flat editions, food is great and sufficient. Overall a good C class product. About VS–well let us wait what the new product will be. LH and AF are okay as well, but both have angled seatings..so actually not my prime preferences.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

DoorSto, I love Swiss so maybe I’m a bit biased, but I think the extra time is worthwhile. I don’t think I would fly BA again in C other than the lcy- nyk service which I’ve yet to try but have been told is very good.

I believe Swiss have some attractive fares on offer so that could be a good inducement though I’m sure there are other forum members better versed in fare structures than I am.

Whichever way you travel, have a good trip!

HBHLondon
    Participant

Dear M.Sepsas: Iberia is a huge disappointment (no flat beds, sultry and lazy FAs, always late, ok food despite menu designed by Michelin starred chefs, no good after-flight service). It is expected that with the tie up with BA it will improve. It is cheap (I got LHR-MAD-BOG-MAD-LHR in C for £2097 with changes permitted for 120 euros; with AF and LH the cheapest is £2800 with no changes allowed).

BAdboys
    Participant

Vintage Krug I am new to this site, but I know that the Club World beds are not horizontally flat…they are slightly angled…whatever the publicity says. I agree they are flat. The site you direct us to concerning the ‘New’ Club World doesnt actually say horizontal…..they have kept it very quiet that the bed is angled, and flat.

JonathanCohen09
    Participant

BAdboys,

this may be a silly question but how can a bed be angled and flat at the same time? Flat and horizontal, are they not the same thing?

Safe travels everyone,

Jonathan

JonathanCohen09
    Participant

BAdboys,

this may be a silly question but how can a bed be angled and flat at the same time? Flat and horizontal, are they not the same thing?

Safe travels everyone,

Jonathan

JonathanCohen09
    Participant

BAdboys,

Safe travels everyone,

Jonathan

BAdboys
    Participant

Hi JonathanC….err no! A plank of wood is flat but can be at a 45 degree angle….so a flat seat can be at an angle. :- )
    Regards

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 110 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls