Bit of a hissy fit?

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 62 total)

• DisgustedofSwieqi
    Participant

“It is people like you who make this Forum so valuable.”

Well said Simon. BTW, no need for an apology from you yesterday, one from JavierS would have been nice, but I doubt we will be honoured with one šŸ˜‰

And sadly, people like JavierS can ruin fora.

SimonRowberry
    Participant

Thanks Disgusted. Although I suspect you are not as disgusted as sometimes you’d like us to believe. I suspect you too are one of the “good guys.”

I look forward to reading your future posts. Seems to me the secret is to be as controversial as you like but don’t have a go at individuals. I’ve done that and learnt my lesson. I hope.

Regards and thanks.

Simon

transtraxman
    Participant

While I know nothing personally about Turkish Airlines I have just come across this. Does it help the debate?

Titled “Gold for Turkish Airlines”
    http://www.airport-technology.com/features/feature95925/

(or is it yet another planted article?)

VintageKrug
    Participant

Some more facts to add to this most stimulating debate, googling for “Most Dangerous Airlines in the World”:

http://www.cashloopholes.co.uk/travel-loopholes-secrets/332-most-dangerous-airlines-world.html

Based on the number of fatal accidents per lion flights, the five airlines with the worst records over a 20-year period (excluding terrorist-related fatalities) are:

Aeroflot @R)

China Airlines (Taiwan)

Turkish Airlines

EgyptAir

CAAC (China).

Based on the number of fatalities per million passengers, the airlines with the worst records over a 20-year period (excluding terrorist related deaths) are:

Turkish Airlines (124.48 fatalities per million passengers)

Air India (21.48 fatalities)

Avianca (5.93 fatalities)

Nigeria Airways (5.53 fatalities)

LOT Polish Airlines (4.54 fatalities).

I think that rather rests the case…

DisgustedofSwieqi
    Participant

“Based on the number of fatal accidents per lion flights”

So come on then, VK, how many lions were killed? šŸ˜‰

Seriously, I am surprised not to see Korean on there, they had a bad run of hull losses in the 90s.

BlackTower
    Participant

Poor me I fly LOT a LOT.

You’ll all come to my funeral I trust?

DisgustedofSwieqi
    Participant

Another set of statistics, covering total fatalities, not weighted per pax km.

From the site http://www.airfleets.net/crash/fatalities_airline.htm

Fatalities per arline, appears to be in about a 30 year window, I’ve only taken those with over 500 fatalities:

*Air india – 542

American – 587

China Airlines – 760

JAL – 520

Korean – 586

Turkish is listed as 147 fatalities.

*Air India includes 329 killed by a terrorist bomb.

YorkshirePudding
    Participant

I have to agree with Simon & having now, looked through all the related posts, can clearly see that this is not simply sour grapes. My experience of TK ground staff arrogance is similar (although I fly economy) – put simply, they should treat their business class travellers with a little more courtesy!
    On a similar subject, I was so concerned on a Cyprus Turkish Airlines flight (KTHY) 2 years ago that I asked to speak directly to the Captain (after much debate amongst the cabin crew my request was actually granted after convincing them that I knew what I was talking about) – mid flight, we had a ‘near miss’ as I witnessed another commercial airliner pass directly under us (much less than 1000′ in my opinion) dangerously close – its not easy to tell distances in that position, but in all my years of flying I have never seen an aircraft in such close proximity. I wanted to let the crew know but their English was poor so they showed me into the cockpit – the flight crew had not seen the aircraft and, I am still not convinced that the TCAS was working (or was in the off position) that day & I refused to fly TKHY again.

TravelTavern
    Participant

http://www.ghanaweb.com/GhanaHomePage/NewsArchive/artikel.php?ID=194574

Incident last night at Accra airport involving TK and LH planes which suffered a minor collision on the ground (ie their wingtips touched). The report suggests the TK plane struck the LH plane on ā€œpush back.ā€

For anyone interested, Turkish Airlines has unveiled a complete rebranding, including interiors, logo and livery. More information can be seen at:

http://www.businesstraveller.com/news/turkish-airlines-unveils-rebrand

VintageKrug
    Participant

The phrase ā€œMutton Dressed As Lambā€ springs to mindā€¦..

Gin&Tonic
    Participant

Letā€™s hope this marketing & branding gives a better return than relying on the face of Kevin Costner!

SimonRowberry
    Participant

Yes, indeedy, Mr Barnes.

I’m also with VK – are they going to improve their staff attitude and politeness and their safety proceedures? To develop VK’s theme – this is rather like the aviation equivalent of “2 Range Rovers on the drive and nothing in the fridge.”

Simon

JohnnyEnglish
    Participant

Hello all,

A small contribution if I may. I fly 2-3 times a year with TK to Central Asia, mostly in economy. Their food is indeed good, and I have personally had no problems with perceived safety. However, a friend of mine is a flight dispatcher and warns me that she considers the TK safety standards to be well below other airlines she services. It made me re-think going to Central Asia, but the only other alternative (according to my company’s policy) is Aeroflot…

DisgustedofSwieqi
    Participant

“The phrase ā€œMutton Dressed As Lambā€ springs to mindā€¦..”

Sounds more like some of the BA fleet to me, e.g. the short haul 767s and the Gatwick 737s – well they will be, if BA ever invest in refreshing them.

Whatever the rights and wrongs of Turkish airlines, their interiors are well maintained.

Then again, Korean had fantastic interiors and service in the 1990s.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 62 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls