BASSA/Unite Latest Ballot: Just 43% of BA Cabin Crew Support Action

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 226 total)

• MartynSinclair
    Participant

Sparepocket – you are right in that BASSA are not the only Union threatening action over the Royal Wedding period. A part of the London Underground was threatening IA (however, I do not know if this threat still remains).

Hippocampus
    Participant

Regarding the ongoing strike threat, if it is established that this ballot is linked to the previous ballot (and it would be interesting to see what evidence BA has gathered in its favour) then that it is it as far as strike action is concerned.

Evidently, by not yet announcing dates (which would result in BA starting to incur easily quantifiable direct losses) and seeking advice from a QC, Unite regards the issue as significant.

Regardless of one’s views on the dispute, if I was a member of BASSA/CC89 I would be asking hard questions as to why Unite is only considering this issue now as it was first raised by BA over six months ago.

More generally about strike threats over the Royal Wedding etc, I would put it down to sabre rattling. Many in the union movement are concerned that the conduct of the likes of BASSA, RMT etc could lead to more draconian legislation, so there will be pressure from within the movement against such activity.

Alasdair
    Participant

New light is now shone on whether or not crew cost savings are indeed at the very core of BA’s objectives now. The very reason why they initially proposed changes to crew terms conditions and expense. The amount of money that has been wasted on litigation, loss in revenue (2010 and potentially in 2011), and most importantly in danaging the reputable brand image that was British Airways.
    Obviously there is a point to prove, an alterior motive. This dispute can easily be settled by making very few FIRM commitments, understanding that the majority of crew will always stand by BASSA CC89 under the umbrella of UNITE (as it is clear to them at this stage in the dispute who has their interests at heart).
    If BA continue with inciting strike action it would be a daft move in many ways, both internally and externally. Why do they go on behaving like this over one group of employees who are already beginning to save them money.. With introduction of mixed fleet? Conflicts are seemingly springing up everywhere. Is this any way to run a company?
    Whether the strike is legal or not is a moot point. In my mind it will be, and it will again be unnecessary.

VintageKrug
    Participant

Cost savings are still essential; there are still remaining structural threats as is seen by the $100+ oil just this week.

Cash is needed not just to pay BA employees’ and former employees’ pensions (which otherwise would end) but also to invest into new products and aircraft.

Every penny spent on litigation and loss of revenue has been as a consequence of BASSA’s actions, not those of BA, and has further been an investment into the future of BA. It is not wasted.

BA’s brand image has indeed taken a bashing; the responsibility for this lays firmly at BASSA’s door, but it’s not as severe as you may think; most high yield business passengers bounce back to booking BA almost instantaneously after the previous strikes, as evidenced by the passenger numbers’ recovery.

The public and regular travellers in particular are fully aware that the strike will not have any significant impact on BA’s services; the strike will be poorly supported (less than the number which voted to strike) and it will further be ineffectual.

Firm commitments are made in the offer already available to crew, and signed by over 1000 of them:

http://www.uniteba.com/ESW/Files/151010_Revised_Offer_Collectivev6.doc

The majority of crew do not stand by BASSA/CC89 as evidenced by the 43% support for the Union’s position.

BA has never incited action, remains available to Unite to talk, and has indeed already agreed a final settlement with Unite on which Unite renaged.

The legality of the strike is certainly not a moot point, especially for those who risk losing their jobs because BASSA hasn’t the competence to manage its own membership lists (the rep responsible and paid for doing so outsourced the role to someone else).

BASSA has still to explain to its membership the criteria for a protected action, and has locked down discussion on the topic on its own forum.

I think that’s every single point summarily dismissed, not dissimilar to the letters sent by BA to Unite in December, or indeed the advice given to Unite itself by its own QCs.

And what of the £2m+ in BASSA subscriptions? Any statement on where those accounts might be visible to members? I thought not.

CallMeIshmael
    Participant

Alasdair – Walsh is trying to divert attention from his own ineptitude by doing something… anything.. in addtion to I believe industry leading fines for corruption across the world, biggest losses in its history, a national embarrassment with T5, WW has been dire for BA investors.

Investors expect a ROI from dividends and/or increase in share value.

Since WW took the BA reigns 5 years ago, in October 2005, only one dividend has been paid – a paltry final 5p per share – the lowest since 1988

http://www.bashares.com/phoenix.zhtml?c=69499&p=irol-dividends

Over the last 5 years, BA shares appear to have lost over half their value having fallen from around £5.80 to around £2.80

http://www.advfn.com/lse/ShareChart.asp?sharechart=BAY

Try as I might I am unable to find a current comparable competitor with this degree of underperformance within the global airline sector.

In this time I believe WW Salary (excluding bonuses) has increased from around £600k to £825k or 37%….another UK corporate fat cat being rewarded for underperformance?

VintageKrug
    Participant

Any sight of those £2m annual BASSA subscriptions being accounted for?

Alasdair
    Participant

Ishmael I agree with everything you have said, as would any level headed individual.

Re your comments Krug, I know you will never be a neutral voice on this forum and therefore able to understand balanced views. In response to your points:

If cash is needed why are BA banging their head against Crew and wasting so damn much of it?

BASSA, by whom you mean Unite of course, are RESPONDING to BA’s threats to undermine their membership and therefore the cause (of money wasted on litigation and loss of revenue lies with BA).

I have been reading threads all over this forum and all over the internet, it indeed does seem to me that premium passengers have no intention of flying BA in the future and taking their business elsewhere. So that gradual recovery you mentioned could indeed be substantially greater were it not for these silly games.

Re the strike, you are not informed of what form it might take, or indeed if it will actually go ahead, so all that expense preparing volunteers is one huge waste of time for a company in the midst of major cost-cutting.

Firm commitments are not being given by BA, nothing is a commitment as far as this company is concerned, just look at their initial commitment to saving costs – blown out of the water by points expressed above by Ishmael.

Sorry, I do apologise though, there may not be a majority of crew under Unite (BASSA CC89), but they are indeed probably a majority at LHR, BA’s most important base.

I read in Telegraph, Mail, Guardian, and Independent that BA have not approached Unite for talks leading up to any possible action. Shows no willingness to end this stand off to me.

The legality of this strike will come out in the end, as it did last year when BA lost its case against Unite.

But, why should it come to all this? I am just saying, why not just compromise and make BA a pleasurable flying experience.

Hippocampus
    Participant

Alasdair, Last year Tony Woodley shook hands on a deal with BA and promised to put it to the membership. He reneged on that. BASSA and CC89 are far from only wanting firm commitments from the company. CC89 want the crewing level changes reversed. BASSA consider that the items on the ballot paper are only a starting point for negotiation and there is an additional shopping list of demands.

BA would be a hostage to fortune in providing lifetime contractual guarantees of income, which is what BASSA is demanding. The events if the past two weeks prove how volatile the aviation industry is.

The claim that this dispute is about union busting is an attempt to give this dispute legs and renewed impetus.

Who really is trying to drag this dispute our and fight an unecessary war? It’s BASSA and CC89, not BA.

VintageKrug
    Participant

Spot on. People are still being laid off yet BA offers a pay RISE, and BASSA doesn’t even allow its membership to vote on accepting the offer:

http://www.uniteba.com/ESW/Files/151010_Revised_Offer_Collectivev6.doc

Delsurrey
    Participant

This premium passenger has no intention of deserting BA, I fully support the management action. If BASSA and Amicus/CC89 refuse to sit in the same room and come up with a sensible proposal then it is unfair to blame BA. You only need to read the cabin crew forums to note that a lot of staff feel that BASSA reps are made up of long term CSD’s and pursers who are out to look after their own personal interests and not those of the majority of members, hence the reason they will not put BA’s offer to the membership.

Alasdair
    Participant

I am not in the position to say what proposal Unite have come up with, but they have made clear what they are unhappy with in the wishy-washy offer put forward to union members.

Where is redeployment mentioned? Where are future guarantees actually written down? I see neither when I look at BA’s proposal.

Personal interests by the way Del, include those belonging to crew who broke the strike solely to keep their staff travel, even though they are quite happy to enjoy the terms and conditions negotiated by BASSA over the years (these long term CSD’s and Pursers you talk of).

Do you also support management action of taking pay rises equivalent to earning £3000 per day? Does this suggest the company is suffering and belts need tightening? It’s ludicrous, BA’s stance is littered with hypocrisy.

A pay rise for cabin crew. What a joke, how can this be feasible when you are so influenced by BA’s drive to cut costs. I believe the Union offered this some time ago and only feel £10million short of what BA were asking of them. It has since cost SUBSTANTIALLY more.

I have seen NOWHERE that crew are asking for a pay rise.

StephenLondon
    Participant

Um, Alasdair, why should BA approach Unite for talks?

BA are busy running their business (run by the board, for their shareholders, who own shares because they believe in the viability of British Airways as a business).

It is United/BASSA/CC89 that have the issues, yet they don’t seem able to sit in the same room together, let alone approach BA for constructive discussions.

They even had to pull in a “Queen’s Council (sic)” for advice. Not happy with that advice, they’ve closed down discussion of it on their own forum. This seems to be a standard BASSA response – don’t like what you hear, just stick your fingers in your ear and yell la-la-la until the big bad wolf goes away.

Well, in the real world, life is rather different.

And like Delsurrey, this premium customer has just booked eight new flights with BA for March, April, May and June without any hesitation.

CallMeIshmael
    Participant

Delsurrey – worldwide pax awards would beg to differ … spot the one for BA …

http://www.worldairlineawards.com/main/2010Awards.htm

With less than 12% of total cabin crew voting against IA BA leadership needs to wake up and work to address the mandate and underlying angst instead of trying to avoid it by exploiting legal loopholes.

StephenLondon
    Participant

Ishamael, BA won four awards at the Business Travel Awards in London last week, so fear not. . .

CallMeIshmael
    Participant

I believe Business Travel is somewhat skewed to UK whereas the other takes a more global view. There is a panel of 16 BT judges, all are more than a tad Anglo Saxon methinks… case of stacking the deck?

Then there is the world airline award where more than 17.9 million (yes 17.9 million) air travellers from over 100 different nationalities took part in the 10 month survey….

now let me think.. which is the most represntative and industry acknowledged. I guess winning a razzie is still better than nothing.

You go with the panel of 16 Stephen, I’ll go with 17.9 million to the Oscars.

BA have a tremendous asset in their long serving, loyal, expert cabin crew – they merely need to be remotivated with customer and people centric leaders then BA will once again be competing for the Oscars.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 226 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls