BASSA/Unite Latest Ballot: Just 43% of BA Cabin Crew Support Action

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 196 through 210 (of 226 total)

• Hippocampus
    Participant

Or they could go and join Virgin who are also recruiting at the moment. Anything must be better than the beastly employer that is BA.

After all, it’s not like Virgin has compulsory redundancies during downturns. Nor do Virgin management issue a letter to cabin crew voting to strike that they should think about working somewhere else.

Oh wait….

pixelmeister
    Participant

I’d love to know how militant can be seen as ‘proactive’ .

Potakas
    Participant

28 more days ..

Joint statement by Unite the union and British Airways

14 April 2011

The new general secretary of Unite, Len McCluskey, and the new CEO of British Airways, Keith Williams, have had exploratory talks over the last few weeks and are committed to seeking an honourable and fair settlement to the long running dispute.

Both men accept that a lasting peace is essential for the well-being of all cabin crew and for the benefit of British Airways’ customers.

To achieve such a peace, it is understood by British Airways that cabin crew must feel that their concerns are being fairly dealt with, and it is recognised by the union that that the management and acceptance of change is the key to lasting peace.

A lasting settlement will require resolution on matters important to cabin crew:

* Restoration of staff travel with seniority on implementation of the settlement including a new working relationship with the local representatives;
    * A binding independent review of disciplinaries to ensure fairness; and
    * Measures to address concerns on earnings and lifestyle associated with the established changes in onboard crew numbers and the introduction of Mixed Fleet.

British Airways and the union have embarked already on a process of co-operation building, assisted by a highly-regarded external company. It is hoped that this continuing process will help develop and strengthen trust.

The current strike ballot mandate given by cabin crew means industrial action must be announced by 15 April. Both parties accept that this would severely undermine any attempt at a genuine settlement. Accordingly, British Airways is prepared to grant an extension of 28 days to the Union.

A variety of meetings will now take place in the belief that the optimism of recent weeks can be turned into a reality that will allow British Airways to focus on delivering the high-quality service its customers expect and to take all its staff confidently into the future.

ENDS

Hippocampus
    Participant

Looks positive and it is good to see a mature constructive statement from Unite.

Bullfrog
    Participant

More acrobats and turns than at the circus !

Hippocampus
    Participant

In spite of all the sabre rattling about “weird and wondrous” initiatives, Len McCluskey has little choice to get a new deal from BA that he can present to BASSA whilst saving face.

The BASSA militants may have been hoping that Len would be more aggressive with BA than Tony Woodley, but I doubt Len wants his time in office to be marked by a dispute that will have a very limited impact and expose Unite to a huge damages claim for being an illegal strike.

It is significant that the joint statement by Unite and BA includes the comment that cabin crew have to accept permanent change. It was BASSA’s dogged refusal to agree to any permanent change that set this all off in the first place.

VintageKrug
    Participant

It’s good to see that both sides are in a position to view current progress positively. The threat of strikes has, as predicted, come to nought.

I would imagine there will be a settlement very shortly after Easter.

Hippocampus
    Participant

I agree VK that BA and Unite will agree on a new deal shortly.

That said, it is interesting to compare the spin on today’s events published by BASSA and CC89. The joint BA and Unite release identifies three main issues. However, the branches assert that there are still 10 outstanding issues and imply that BA has conceded on staff travel and disciplinaries as a means of securing a 28 day extension when it has done no such thing.

——

Background  to the  Joint statement issued by Lenny McCluskey and Keith Williams

Over the last couple of weeks, there have been a number of informal meetings between our Union and British Airways in an attempt to reach a fair resolution to the long-running industrial dispute.

This has led us to the belief that there is a real opportunity to be able to try and fairly resolve the differences between us.

Mr Williams has so far brought a welcome practicality to the situation and we must take that in good faith, unless it is proven to be otherwise.

Thus far, the ten issues of dispute HAVE NOT been solved, but a common understanding that these issues need to solved has been reached.  Because of this, as an act of good faith, we are supportive of these first tentative steps towards a possible peace.

The acceptance that staff travel must be restored, and that justice must be seen to be done by our disciplined colleagues is recognised as an intended gesture of goodwill by British Airways; we have responded by agreeing to extend the period of time that we are able to take industrial action by a further 28 days.

This, and the fact that Keith Williams has agreed with Lenny to “suspend”
    all on-going dispute related disciplinary cases for the same period of time, has convinced us that allowing a period of peace to try and resolve the ten issues that remain between us is the only sensible course of action. *

It would be foolhardy to do otherwise; every conflict has to be solved sooner or later and to do so, both sides need to talk.  This can either be done before or after battle, common sense says that this is better done before.

There have been comments that members are being kept in the dark, this is not the case, but it must be recognised that we cannot break the confidence of a delicately balanced situation to allow it every chance of succeeding.

Rest assured,  if we are able to reach a proposed settlement, the decision as to whether to accept it or otherwise remains with you, our members.

We can’t promise a positive outcome, but your reps will now be involved in these negotiations and we will do our very best; it is early days still and nobody is saying it is going to be easy or that we will succeed, but where there is a will there is usually a way – and we intend to try.

* Those involved in on-going cases will need to inform their individual rep as soon as possible that they wish to be covered by this arrangement and accept this delay in any process.

StephenLondon
    Participant

I think, Hippocampus, that the latest dribble about the background just shows wishful thinking on the part of fantasists who think a) they’re doing a terrific job at getting their way and b) still think they’re in control and running BA. We all know that isn’t the case, and they’re just trying to claim anything to make themselves look better than they are (which doesn’t take much).

The fact that discussions have been going on between KW and LMcC (with no BASSA/CC89 reps there) says everything.

I know the disciplinary thing may seem like an easy climbdown for BA, but accepting a change for something already agreed by BASSA just because they don’t like what is happening is odd. Weak move for KW, in my opinion.

Personally, I’d have left this to run until the mandate ran out…and then say here’s the deal – take it or p*ss off. You fought, you lost, now deal with it.

pixelmeister
    Participant

Hmmm…. so what have Unite achieved for their members over the past two years ? Settlement for this dispute seems to boil down to

* Restoration of staff travel with seniority on implementation of the settlement including a new working relationship with the local representatives;
    * A binding independent review of disciplinaries to ensure fairness; and
    * Measures to address concerns on earnings and lifestyle associated with the established changes in onboard crew numbers and the introduction of Mixed Fleet

Yet all three items have been previously put forward by BA in offers. In fact, the offer that Unite failed to ballot members on included these three items. So what’s different now ?

The cynic in me interprets the statement ‘A binding independent review of disciplinaries to ensure fairness’ to mean that the review will look at the process, not the evidence. Moreover, there is no statement about accepting any recommendations arising from such a review. BA is not saying they will re-employ any who may have been sacked.

There are a couple of naughty cards that could yet get played. BA might do a Len and decide to withdraw the offer of an extension on Tuesday, thereby leaving Unite high and dry. Equally, there is no guarantee that Unite may not decide to call a strike for the period immediately after the wedding, just out of spite.

Hippocampus
    Participant

It is very disappointing to see, after positive joint statements from BA and Unite, that BASSA is still producing toxic bile like this:

Duncan Holley

Trust me the pilots are twitching. Their “raison d’etre” has been exposed as a sham. They have been well and truly hoodwinked and the penny is dropping (and we all know how pilots hate dropping pennies)
    If we came out with a 25% pay rise the FD would rubbish it, BALPA have been badly exposed as a toady union – their turn will come and they won’t have our stomach for a fight.
    They will be furious at this latest news that perhaps BASSA and BA can make peace and that should tell you all something. Back in 2007 they were tripping over themselves to sneer at the deal we got then – this time they will be frantic. Ignore them, they care only about themselves, always have always will – no wonder we used to shake up their Brewmasters!!!! (You gotta be old to understand that one).

I must admit one of the biggest shocks I have had in this dispute (and I have had a few) has been witnessing the back-stabbing actions of the pilot community. Truly I would never have believed it conceivable.

One great thing about being sacked and never stepping on a jet is I never have to mix or mingle with such low lifes ever again.

And apologies to the few good pilots out there – I know there are some but I am afraid the majority deserve nothing but contempt for their actions and that includes the silent ones who sat back and did nothing.

VintageKrug
    Participant

Thankfully, DH has been marginalised by both BA and Unite, and is playing no part in these talks.

Seems Holley is still bitter about being rejected for Pilot training, all those many years ago!

Let’s hope his recent Police Caution for Harassment in relation to his actions connected with this industrial unrest won’t harm his future career prospects.

openfly
    Participant

Duncan Holleys remarks about pilots just prove what low-life he is and always will be.
    According to my BA cabin crew friends he was always a loud-mouth vitreolic individual who was always jealous of pilots, and hated passengers. So BA did everybody a favour when he was sacked.

Hippocampus
    Participant

Well, as it’s approaching close of play before the Easter weekend and in light of the 7 day notice period for strike action, I think we can say with confidence that the 2nd four day weekend will also be free of any strike action by BASSA.

VintageKrug
    Participant

I have several exLHR longhauls booked on BA in the next few months, and frankly am not in the slightest bothered by any impotent threats of strike action.

In fact I was rather looking forward to a VCC crewed flight!

Viewing 15 posts - 196 through 210 (of 226 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls